Hammock or Tent?

• Administrators

I thought this was an interesting video from Outdoor Vitals on the comparison of hammocks to tents

Pros and Cons to a Hammock Sleep System 

Pros
- Superior Comfort (In my opinion.)
- Consistency
- Faster setup & Take down
- Easier setup & Take down in bad weather
- No condensation
- Better suited for day napping
- More space because you can pitch your tarp high, low ,etc

Cons
- Need a place to hang 
- Less Shelter - Bad weather can be worse
- Need a beanie / face mask

Pros and Cons to a Ground Sleep System 

Pros
- Tents are better suited for bad weather
- You can spread out on long Nights (winter months)
- Retain a little more warmth inside a tent body

Cons
- Longer setup / take down times
- Finding the right spot / getting stakes in can be tricky
- You must avoid rocks and sloped ground
- Tents are harder to keep clean because they're in the dirt
- Condensation can build up within a tent.

• Like 1

I’m in the same boat I have both a Hennessy Hammock and a MSR Hubba Hubba and both have their benefits and drawbacks.

I love the quick set up of the Hennessy with the use of the snake skins and only needing a light sleeping bag or my tiny down filled blanket as I only use it in summer temps. It has its own built in bug net and ran fly if needed. I always bring a garbage bag to cover my gear and boots if it’s raining.

On the other hand I love my tent and the ability to bring my gear and stuff out of the elements when camping and tuck them in the vestibule. When I bring my tent I also bring my exped syn Matt 10 which is bulkier and my one larger convenience item.

My good riding buddy and I laugh that we’ve spent thousands to live like Hobo’s on motorcycles.

Great thread !!

• Like 3

Hammock camping is great! One tree, or no tree's, you can make it work. Hardest part is gauging the weather. I keep a tarp and bug net with me just incase. 
IMG_1888.JPG.3dc92402ac76b161320043f5e118d266.JPG

I’m sure you’ve seen the Hennessy Hammock 2wheeladv but it comes with the built in bug screen , and a rain cover you add on to it if you suspect rain. Add a set of the snake skins and you are packed up in a minute.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Haulin Gas Adventures said:

I’m sure you’ve seen the Hennessy Hammock 2wheeladv but it comes with the built in bug screen , and a rain cover you add on to it if you suspect rain. Add a set of the snake skins and you are packed up in a minute.

Yeah Hennessy makes a good product. I've had my eye on the new Kammok Sunda which combines the best of both worlds.

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 4/12/2018 at 1:55 PM, Jason R said:

High Sierra - No trees

Gold Point - No trees

Desert - no trees

Hammock, no bueno

I guess since I car camp, I could try that hammock system that has the hangers under the front and rear wheels of my FJ...Might be OK.  

This is my reason I haven't really used my hammock but it is nice for taking an afternoon nap and a place to recline at camp.  I've used it at Overland Expo quite a bit.