If you do not wear earplugs, it is time to pay attention

Why earplugs makes riding motorcycle safer and a review of the Alpine Hearing Protection Motorcycle earplugs.

If you want to walk around when you are old with impaired hearing and keep responding with a “Whaaat did you say?” to your kids cheating at board games, then keep riding without proper earplugs. I am sure in this day of our lord 2018 there is enough information available on the WWW, for the majority of people not living in caves, to know that wind noise and noise levels while riding motorcycles can cause permanent hearing damage.
In case some people are not aware of it let me give some reasons and arguments as to why wearing earplugs is a very good idea. Remember it is not only for ear-protection, it makes riding motorcycles safer.
Also those foam plugs, they aren't what it seems :)

More: https://www.pikipikioverland.com/earplugs-makes-riding-a-motorcycle-safer/

PikiPikiOverland-earplugs-Alpine-Hearing

• Like 2

I've always ridden with the Alpine plugs, but I've also ridden with painful ears, even on rides only a few km's long. The plugs are not to blame here, but they are just not suited for me. Last year I had custom earplugs made, which made me discover I have quite narrow earcanals, which also make a more than 90degree turn. This was the reason for the Alpines to be painful and often falling out within a few minutes. So for me, custom plugs are the way to go and would definitely recommend to anyone.

• Like 1

@Motopreneur I think the newer ones we have now are smaller than the ones you might used. These new ones fits much better than the older ones. My biggest issue with customs ones are they have this habit of disappearing. And at 200us a pop it is quite a pricey loss. I dont feel as bad losing the generic ones. 
In the end, does not matter what earplugs, just use some rather than go without them :D

• Like 2

1 minute ago, michnus said:

@Motopreneur I think the newer ones we have now are smaller than the ones you might used. These new ones fits much better than the older ones. 

I had a set with 3 sizes in them, and 2 sets of filters. Tried the smallest but was still not very amusing. But yes, I am slightly more worries of losing the custom ones, but them being attached together with a small string helps. Also, they keep the 3D scan of the plugs at the company I bought them from, so I can order new ones are a reduced price without getting new molds made.

But at the bottom line, you're right, earplugs are in the ATGATT list for me :-)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Motopreneur said:

I had a set with 3 sizes in them, and 2 sets of filters. Tried the smallest but was still not very amusing. But yes, I am slightly more worries of losing the custom ones, but them being attached together with a small string helps. Also, they keep the 3D scan of the plugs at the company I bought them from, so I can order new ones are a reduced price without getting new molds made.

But at the bottom line, you're right, earplugs are in the ATGATT list for me :-)

My last set of customs were silicone soft ones, they were really nice ones. Pity I lost them as well :D

I've been using Nonoise for a few years now. They do a pretty-good job at reducing wind noise yet allow me to hear my music and gps guidance from the helmet speakers--a gutted Sony headset. Also, I can converse wearing them to some degree. When I refuel and have to go into the store, I usually remove one of them. The only problem with the Nonoise is the short tube for removal. 

• Like 2