michnus

FUEL FILTERS – YOU DO NOT NEED THAT KIND OF NEGATIVITY IN YOUR LIFE.

3 posts in this topic

No not the filter, the dirt and rubbish the fuel filters must keep out of your bike, you do not need that kind of negativity in your life.

You would think in this day and age with millions of vehicles and trillion dollar fuel industries it would be stupid to worry that you would still get bad, dirty fuel from fuel stations. Unfortunately in this big world and the need to supply fuel to almost every corner of the globe, even to remote locations, the way fuel is stored and sold means contamination is a real issue.

We were under the impression that fuel should generally be of good, clean quality wherever you buy it and so when we set off on our RTW trip in 2010 through Africa we quickly got lessons handed to us about not to assume that clean fuel will be the norm.

One of the worst things is to troubleshoot a stranded bike and one of the items to troubleshoot is whether you got clean fuel. It is far better to try and eliminate that possibility all together and spend the time troubleshooting what really got the motorcycle to give up the ghost.

Our first real issues were in Ethiopia when another overlander warned us to check the fuel as it’s dirty and will clog our fuel filters. On older carburettor bikes it is easy to replace fuel filters and filters cost very little. On new Fuel Injection bikes the filters sometimes also have a fuel regulator built in and those units are expensive and not so easy to source from car part shops.

read more: https://www.pikipikioverland.com/fuel-filters-you-do-not-need-that-kind-of-negativity-in-your-life/

Also a review of the Guglatech fuel filters

PikiPikiOverland_Guglatech_fuel-filter_i

1 person likes this

I learned about these from Beemer Bunny (I think) and have put them in my bikes as well.  I found it interesting that the GS has a permanent, sealed and rather small filter within the fuel pump assembly.  After several hundred more gallons I'll take it out and look to see what it has captured.  At this point this bike has not left the US so it will be very interesting to see how well filtered our gas is.

1 person likes this

Good post regarding fuel filters. From past experience the size of the filter makes a difference too. Consider the fuel filter in my (previously-owned) Concours 14. This is after a year and a half from new with approximately 14k miles. The bike was doing the herky-jerky under hard acceleration and higher rpm's. Though not replaceable I researched a replacement and found one from a side-by-side.

Some of the debris was magnetic.

I replaced the built-in fuel filter at each valve clearance check.

At the other end of fuel filter talk, my previous Nissan Frontier did 165k miles and I never replaced the filter.

Fuel_Filter_Cleaning_2013AUG20 (9).JPG

Fuel_Filter_Cleaning_2013AUG20 (11).JPG