New KTM 1290 SA-R, any "must haves"?

I recently bought a brand new leftover 2017 1290 Super Adventure R.  I am upgrading from a Vstrom 650 and this bike is insane in comparison.  I had a card for $500 in KTM PowerParts so I went with the KTM skidplate and the two piece seat (almost exclusively ride 2up and the stock seat isn't ideal for that).   We ride a lot of fairly aggressive offroad with an emphasis on rocky stuff.  Is there anything that I should do straight away to this bike?  So far I am blown away with its capabilities and I'm excited to push our boundaries with this new machine.  Thanks for any advice!

• Like 2

Hey there! Welcome to the 1290 SAR! It's an amazing machine.

For me... 

Skid plate - Check! I got the KTM Hardparts one and it seems to give fine protection for the money.

Touring windscreen - Check! I went with Puig clear touring one and it's great on road.

Bags - Check! I've got a couple Giant Loop small ones including the handlebar bag and tail bag. I just ordered Givi hard bags and top case for longer tours, mostly street will prob revert back to minimal soft bags or just top case if doing local off-road heavy jaunts.

Seat - if you don't love that new seat, I'd recommend getting 1 (or 2 for you & 2up!) WildAss air cushions. There's even a special purchase deal on this site for them.

Grips - I got the KTM Hardparts heated grips but haven't put them in yet since it's getting to be nicer weather for riding. 

On my to-do list ...

Slip on exhaust! ? I love the way the Wings setup sounds as well as the Arrow, based on some in-person and YouTube clips.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

I recently bought an SA-T.  I would look into their folding levers, engine/clutch case protection, the floating topcase and backrest for your +1.  Side stand foot.  If you can think far in advance, maybe some spare wear parts.  $500 only goes so far in their catalog.  Now outside of their catalog, I recommend looking at the altrider selection.  They have some great strong hard parts for protection.  Oh, I forgot - gps and/or phone holder, their customers engineered tank bag (click-on/off) is good, not great off road when you’re standing.

Edited by renaissancerider
  • Like 1

I am going to have @KONFLICT MOTORSPORTS Do my suspension in June. Their set up really compliments the bike. Especially if you will be found off-road 2 up. I put the @Arrow slip on through @rottweiller Chris is a cool dude you will enjoy his energy. I will be doing the @BRP n @scot stabilizer . I have the @Moskomoto bags which are insanely made with a #kriega 20 on the rear. 

Edited by H2ODZRT
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...