High Sierra 2018

This doable on an old Vstrom 650?  I was going to be a last minute sign up with my DR650 but found metal in the my DR's crank case yesterday.  Now I'm thinking I just bring the commuter bike up on some Shinko 705s.  All I remember from riding there a couple years ago was all the sand on the Coyote Flats ride, a bunch of hot springs, and the way up to White Mt was steep and rocky.  Maybe I just stick to some road touring on the Strom?

• Like 2

• Administrators
20 hours ago, Chris Owens said:

This doable on an old Vstrom 650?  I was going to be a last minute sign up with my DR650 but found metal in the my DR's crank case yesterday.  Now I'm thinking I just bring the commuter bike up on some Shinko 705s.  All I remember from riding there a couple years ago was all the sand on the Coyote Flats ride, a bunch of hot springs, and the way up to White Mt was steep and rocky.  Maybe I just stick to some road touring on the Strom?

I think you'd be find on the Vstrom as long as you're not too ambitious.  That Coyote Canyon is a really bad idea for that bike though, as would be any advanced track and maybe some of the intermediate.  Lots of decent stuff up on Glass Mountain area as well as three big roads south to Bishop and back.  Even the Mammoth/June OHV area has some stuff that's not too bad but you just have to avoid the "cocoa puffs" volcanic sand in some spot.  Like @VOYER says lets pray they get some rain.

@Chris Owens  Strom?  no problem man.  I happen to know a fellow that rode his 650 Strom (2up) all the way to Laurel Lakes however that would be against my better judgement.  On the other hand, there is lots of back roads perfectly suitable for that mount.  One of my easy faves is Cottonwood Cyn up to Bodie and then out Bodie Masonic to Aurora Cyn.  Easy graded road, beautiful scenery.  Unless you're @bruinjon , then you crash and break ribs on that route... :lol:  

Edited by greedyg
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Eric Hall said:

I think you'd be find on the Vstrom as long as you're not too ambitious.  That Coyote Canyon is a really bad idea for that bike though, as would be any advanced track and maybe some of the intermediate.  Lots of decent stuff up on Glass Mountain area as well as three big roads south to Bishop and back.  Even the Mammoth/June OHV area has some stuff that's not too bad but you just have to avoid the "cocoa puffs" volcanic sand in some spot.  Like @VOYER says lets pray they get some rain.

Would one of those big roads South to Bishop be Casa Diablo Road?  I remember the scenery was great but don't remember what the road condition was like.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Yeah Casa Diablo being one and then Fish Slough and Chidalgo Canyon the other two. All three are fast and mostly very easy but I will say I’ve seen just a bit of loose stuff on Casa Diablo depending on how long it’s been since rain but not too bad. I’m usually going too fast for it to matter anyways; I’m like “what sand?”

• Like 1

There are tons of scenic routes and many options up there. “Just pick a direction”. Do you have last years or previous routes? I believe there is a road route up the mtn too.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Ben Hoelzel said:

This ride sounds awesome! I am new to dual sport, I have a KTM350 exc-f, will the stock tank carry me everywhere I need to go if I register?

~40mpg / 2 gal tank ?  Yes, there is lots to see within those parameters

Or you just befriend the guy with the KLR "super tanker" and tag along with him to be safe... :lol:

Edited by greedyg

If you guys are using the Rever app (I highly recommend it) sign in and search for the “XLADV High Sierra” group under communities. I think there is probably about 30 good routes to be found there. You can also friend me thru Rever and I can share some of my own tracks. 

Greg

Edited by greedyg
  • Like 3

I just realized that after asking for and getting Friday off so I could do this my work put me on call for the weekend?  I did not even notice on the schedule until yesterday.  I am trying to find someone to trade me but otherwise I am going to miss it.  I already bought tickets and rented a trailer and got all my camping gear ready .... I hope I can get someone to cover for me.

• Confused 1