High Sierra 2018

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Chris Owens said:

I'm hoping to be up there before dark Thursday, if that's acceptable.  Do I check in at the office or just look for the group?  

No need to check in, just camp in that horseshoe shaped area.  There are a few there today so you should see them.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 7:09 AM, Tr182md said:

I just realized that after asking for and getting Friday off so I could do this my work put me on call for the weekend?  I did not even notice on the schedule until yesterday.  I am trying to find someone to trade me but otherwise I am going to miss it.  I already bought tickets and rented a trailer and got all my camping gear ready .... I hope I can get someone to cover for me.

Got coverage, bike loaded up ready to ride coming up tomorrow. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

I'd like to get peoples' feedback on the event this year in terms of what worked well vs what we should change.

A few things came to mind...

• We can't really accept responsibility for what happens on the trail but in the future I may provide my cell phone and SpotX number for any emergency texts.  I know Carlos had a mechanical issue and @Rogers had a flat and were lucky to have a signal and could summon help.
  • I need to do some more scouting and maybe make the tracks into more of a continuous loop like we do with Taste of Dakar.
  • Last year's drama had me thinking we should use wrist bands and check people in and this year thankfully was drama-free but I did have an issue with headcount as our caterer reported more people eating than I had recorded.  I had 80 people on the list and she served more than 80 meals not counting seconds.
  • I was actually very impressed by the fact I sold out of about 15 of my XLADV shirts and will make sure we have more stuff like that next time.
  • I will consider doing the t-shirt but this time it was cost-prohibitive and not sure people are going to want to pay extra for it.  It seems the silipint cups went over pretty well.
  • Unfortunately the guy who took my reservation was since fired and messed it up really bad.  Luckily Raul and his wife Nicole who manage the camp were SUPER accommodating for us and made it work after all.  They promised that won't happen next time.
  • We ran out of beer for the first time!  Our caterer luckily was able to bring another half keg so that was good.  I forgot to pay her though, lol!  Taking care of that now.
  • Weather luckily was really good.  Not as cold as before but my bike said 24, 28 and 29 degrees each morning.  Rain would have been nice to keep the dust down.

* Wrist bands are not a bad idea at all.  Just make it known to check in with Paul when arriving to camp. He checks us off the list and issues the handcuff. EZ.

* Count me in for the pre-event scouting trip.

* Tee-shirts and Silipints are cool, I love mine, but it maybe better to make them optional at "pre-sale" cost when registering.  Any left over commemorative gear can be sold at the event for a premium (not sure if you can add options w/ Eventbrite)

* As for trail mishaps, @Rogers is a hooligan and probably intentionally gave himself a flat, then intentionally pinched the new tube, just so he get @Jason R and I back out on the trail at twilight to rescue him with a new tube...

• Like 3

Great event as always and always looking to improve.

I heard it was a struggle at times to get gratuity from the attendees after the serving of food. A suggestion that may be an answer is to include the gratuity with the purchase. I know Eric and I have chatted about this before in terms of food being a part of an event as it makes a world of a difference especially when it is catered.

Not sure what the feed back would be from this, but all feed back is welcome. Some restaurants do this already. And some caterers as well. Just my thought coming from the industry. In my experience there should be some verbiage stating that all the “gratuity” is divided among all the staff such as dishwashers, cooks, servers etc.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 5/10/2018 at 11:05 AM, Eric Hall said:

XLADV FB Flyer_02.png.jpg

7th Annual!  FB event page here and registration link here.

Description:

(Limit 80 riders) In the heat of summer, experience the cooler temps (6800' elevation) and epic big bike riding in the High Sierra. Gourmet catered meals (2 dinners, 2 breakfasts), professional photography, firewood, adult beverages, hot showers, bathrooms, nearby hot springs, general store. Vendor-sponsored raffle prizes! All to benefit Motorrad Angels(motorradangels.org), a charity that provides clean water filtration kits around the world.

Trails for all abilities from scenic pavement to easy, intermediate and expert dirt.

Highlight is riding to the 12,400' summit to see the White Mountain Research Station whose gate is open this one day per year.

Beat the traffic and be home Monday for Labor Day with your family.

New this year: T-shirts, Silipint cups & two breakfasts!

You are an adult paying for a good time at a campout and are free to explore the area on self-guided gps tracks on public roads and public trails at your own risk. XLADV, Motorrad Angels and Brown's Owens River Campground accept no liability for your safety. By signing up and paying for this event you are in acknowledgement of these terms and waive any right hold hold aforementioned parties liable.

Only registered riders can attend. No exceptions. Do NOT invite your friends to come free. Do NOT "rogue" the ride by camping nearby and shadowing us; it's in poor taste given this is a charity event and a lot of work goes into it.

Refund Policy: This year it's one month out, or by end of day, July 31st, 2018. Absolutely no refunds after that date. It's extremely hard to organize an event this size with countless last minute cancellations and then a scramble to add in last minute additions to fill the gaps. This is a volunteer deal and it benefits Motorrad Angels so consider that if you have to cancel within two weeks of the event.

$199 this year but I'm adding in tshirts, silipint cups and two breakfasts!

Sponsors (so far):

BMW MOA 

Attendees:

@Vlad

John MacDonald

@renaissancerider

Beth Dolos

Vuthy Lat

Olivier Cornet

Tom McQueen

Cosmin G

Shane Bearly

Moisey B

Ross Wood

John Howard

Moshe

Alex Scmauss

@WarpedRotor

Kevin Carpenter

Mark Daniels

@Sandro Andre Marino

@greedyg

@Rogers

Steve Andujar

Kurt Wyrick

Bill Osmer

@mthomasadv

@motochefarwi

Mrs. MotoChefArwi

Joseph Bradley

David Morgan

@Clink

@Jason R

Ross Wenger

Tim Stewart

Todd Tenhet

Todd Tenhet guest

Jeff Parker

Dennis Hagerty

Peter Wallace

ConnieSue Dickinson

Delaney Prince

Daniel Prince

LTS

Rodney Hennis

William Briner

Dean Voyer

Daniel Bartolucci

Rick Giroux

Norm Mackay

Richard Lee

Bill Osmer

Pat Thaiwongse

Michael Snyder

Antonio Wong

Pratima Bhuttarowas

Edward Bell

Edward Bell guest

Steven Healy

Randy Commans

@Doug Printz

Paul Dawson

Mathew Carman

Dries Van Loon

Gareth Evans

Cam McConnell

Nicholas Jones

Steven Green

Ron Anderson

Kevin Fellon

Steven Cocking

Chris Hangos

Chris Owens

This was a lot of fun! Are we doing this again in 2022?!