High Sierra 2018

2 hours ago, Chris Owens said:

I'm hoping to be up there before dark Thursday, if that's acceptable.  Do I check in at the office or just look for the group?  

No need to check in, just camp in that horseshoe shaped area.  There are a few there today so you should see them.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 7:09 AM, Tr182md said:

I just realized that after asking for and getting Friday off so I could do this my work put me on call for the weekend?  I did not even notice on the schedule until yesterday.  I am trying to find someone to trade me but otherwise I am going to miss it.  I already bought tickets and rented a trailer and got all my camping gear ready .... I hope I can get someone to cover for me.

Got coverage, bike loaded up ready to ride coming up tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Eric, the pitch man :)

Todd,  Thanks much for the order.  Happy we could help sponsor the XLADV event.  Ride safely!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
  • Like 1

I'd like to get peoples' feedback on the event this year in terms of what worked well vs what we should change.

A few things came to mind...

• We can't really accept responsibility for what happens on the trail but in the future I may provide my cell phone and SpotX number for any emergency texts.  I know Carlos had a mechanical issue and @Rogers had a flat and were lucky to have a signal and could summon help.
  • I need to do some more scouting and maybe make the tracks into more of a continuous loop like we do with Taste of Dakar.
  • Last year's drama had me thinking we should use wrist bands and check people in and this year thankfully was drama-free but I did have an issue with headcount as our caterer reported more people eating than I had recorded.  I had 80 people on the list and she served more than 80 meals not counting seconds.
  • I was actually very impressed by the fact I sold out of about 15 of my XLADV shirts and will make sure we have more stuff like that next time.
  • I will consider doing the t-shirt but this time it was cost-prohibitive and not sure people are going to want to pay extra for it.  It seems the silipint cups went over pretty well.
  • Unfortunately the guy who took my reservation was since fired and messed it up really bad.  Luckily Raul and his wife Nicole who manage the camp were SUPER accommodating for us and made it work after all.  They promised that won't happen next time.
  • We ran out of beer for the first time!  Our caterer luckily was able to bring another half keg so that was good.  I forgot to pay her though, lol!  Taking care of that now.
  • Weather luckily was really good.  Not as cold as before but my bike said 24, 28 and 29 degrees each morning.  Rain would have been nice to keep the dust down.

1 hour ago, Eric Hall said:

• We can't really accept responsibility for what happens on the trail

What,it's all your fault LOL

crash pic.jpg

Edited by Onelugnut
  • Like 1

* Wrist bands are not a bad idea at all.  Just make it known to check in with Paul when arriving to camp. He checks us off the list and issues the handcuff. EZ.

* Count me in for the pre-event scouting trip.

* Tee-shirts and Silipints are cool, I love mine, but it maybe better to make them optional at "pre-sale" cost when registering.  Any left over commemorative gear can be sold at the event for a premium (not sure if you can add options w/ Eventbrite)

* As for trail mishaps, @Rogers is a hooligan and probably intentionally gave himself a flat, then intentionally pinched the new tube, just so he get @Jason R and I back out on the trail at twilight to rescue him with a new tube...

• Like 3

On 5/10/2018 at 11:05 AM, Eric Hall said:

$199 this year but I'm adding in tshirts, silipint cups and two breakfasts!

I thought we were all getting Tee shirts for signing up.  I'm not upset about it, but just quoting what I read.  I actually forgot about the Tee shirts till you mentioned it.  

• Like 1

Great event as always and always looking to improve.

I heard it was a struggle at times to get gratuity from the attendees after the serving of food. A suggestion that may be an answer is to include the gratuity with the purchase. I know Eric and I have chatted about this before in terms of food being a part of an event as it makes a world of a difference especially when it is catered.

Not sure what the feed back would be from this, but all feed back is welcome. Some restaurants do this already. And some caterers as well. Just my thought coming from the industry. In my experience there should be some verbiage stating that all the “gratuity” is divided among all the staff such as dishwashers, cooks, servers etc.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Eric Hall said:

okay so I feel really bad about not having shirts for High Sierra like I said I would earlier so I'm getting them done and should have them mailed out to everyone in about 2-3 weeks.

Dude, dont worry about it.  Just send the money to the Angels.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jason R said:

Dude, dont worry about it.  Just send the money to the Angels.  

J is right. We can still be friends even without the shirt...

• Like 2