Eric Hall

NPS to Enact New Controls on Saline Valley Hot Springs

3 posts in this topic

10509074_web1_saline_valley_001.jpg

Article out on new things the park service is going to do with Saline Valley Hot Springs.

I think the beauty of the springs is that it's been completely volunteer supported this long without the park service (except the pit toilets really).

I absolutely do not support removing the palm trees and grass though.  Sure they're non-native but so what?  They serve a purpose.

They also want to erect fences to keep the burrows out and start a permit process for camping spots close to the tubs.

About 4 years ago the road in there was REALLY rough and kept the visitors down but they graded it and now a Prius could make it out there.  They say in Mexico "bad roads bring good people" so maybe keeping the road rough could help preserve the place a bit better?

Another thing I noticed from my recent camping trip there a few weeks ago is that this caravan of 4WD enthusiasts descended on the place and others there REALLY didn't like them being there.  There's definitely a "vibe" there you have to respect.  Consider this too when you roll up with your buddies on our adv bikes.  Always be kind and respectful.

2 people like this

On 5/15/2018 at 10:47 AM, Eric Hall said:

10509074_web1_saline_valley_001.jpg

Article out on new things the park service is going to do with Saline Valley Hot Springs.

I think the beauty of the springs is that it's been completely volunteer supported this long without the park service (except the pit toilets really).

I absolutely do not support removing the palm trees and grass though.  Sure they're non-native but so what?  They serve a purpose.

They also want to erect fences to keep the burrows out and start a permit process for camping spots close to the tubs.

About 4 years ago the road in there was REALLY rough and kept the visitors down but they graded it and now a Prius could make it out there.  They say in Mexico "bad roads bring good people" so maybe keeping the road rough could help preserve the place a bit better?

Another thing I noticed from my recent camping trip there a few weeks ago is that this caravan of 4WD enthusiasts descended on the place and others there REALLY didn't like them being there.  There's definitely a "vibe" there you have to respect.  Consider this too when you roll up with your buddies on our adv bikes.  Always be kind and respectful.

Have not been to Saline Valley Hot Springs in a very very long time... neat place. Howerver... a ride south will take you to Canyon de Guadalupe in Baja... which looks like it has a new site and has been renamed since I was there last...   Guadalupe Canyon Oasis Hot Springs you have got to get it on your list!  It is amazing!  Check out this quick vid taken the last time I was there... AMAZING:  

LONG LIVE the HOT Springs!  

1 person likes this