NPS to Enact New Controls on Saline Valley Hot Springs

• Administrators

10509074_web1_saline_valley_001.jpg

Article out on new things the park service is going to do with Saline Valley Hot Springs.

I think the beauty of the springs is that it's been completely volunteer supported this long without the park service (except the pit toilets really).

I absolutely do not support removing the palm trees and grass though.  Sure they're non-native but so what?  They serve a purpose.

They also want to erect fences to keep the burrows out and start a permit process for camping spots close to the tubs.

About 4 years ago the road in there was REALLY rough and kept the visitors down but they graded it and now a Prius could make it out there.  They say in Mexico "bad roads bring good people" so maybe keeping the road rough could help preserve the place a bit better?

Another thing I noticed from my recent camping trip there a few weeks ago is that this caravan of 4WD enthusiasts descended on the place and others there REALLY didn't like them being there.  There's definitely a "vibe" there you have to respect.  Consider this too when you roll up with your buddies on our adv bikes.  Always be kind and respectful.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2018 at 10:47 AM, Eric Hall said:

10509074_web1_saline_valley_001.jpg

Article out on new things the park service is going to do with Saline Valley Hot Springs.

I think the beauty of the springs is that it's been completely volunteer supported this long without the park service (except the pit toilets really).

I absolutely do not support removing the palm trees and grass though.  Sure they're non-native but so what?  They serve a purpose.

They also want to erect fences to keep the burrows out and start a permit process for camping spots close to the tubs.

About 4 years ago the road in there was REALLY rough and kept the visitors down but they graded it and now a Prius could make it out there.  They say in Mexico "bad roads bring good people" so maybe keeping the road rough could help preserve the place a bit better?

Another thing I noticed from my recent camping trip there a few weeks ago is that this caravan of 4WD enthusiasts descended on the place and others there REALLY didn't like them being there.  There's definitely a "vibe" there you have to respect.  Consider this too when you roll up with your buddies on our adv bikes.  Always be kind and respectful.

Have not been to Saline Valley Hot Springs in a very very long time... neat place. Howerver... a ride south will take you to Canyon de Guadalupe in Baja... which looks like it has a new site and has been renamed since I was there last...   Guadalupe Canyon Oasis Hot Springs you have got to get it on your list!  It is amazing!  Check out this quick vid taken the last time I was there... AMAZING:  

LONG LIVE the HOT Springs!  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • Administrators

IMG_1005.jpg

Just got back yesterday from a few days out at the springs and got to think about this all again.

I really think the NPS taking over this site is mostly going to suck.

I think it will be good to designate specific camping spots and bring in some tables and fire pits.  The fencing off the area from burros would be good too.  The NPS is due their fees and I will not take issue with that.

But after being there so many times and seeing all the hard work, materials and time volunteers have put in just really breaks my heart because I know the NPS will tear it all out and ruin it.  The NPS wants to rip out all the palm trees (shade), outdoor showers, dishwashing stations, grass, fencing, etc...  

I noticed there's a thermometer that's missing from one of the upper pools and you just know that that the NPS is not going to "allow that kind of thing" should someone decide to replace it.  They'll just take down the offending item and throw it in the trash.

I really hope whatever they end up going with preserves some of the magic.