After market riding lights

Anyone do there own wiring on aftermarket lights? 

I recently purchased a highly rated $25 set and wired them directly to my battery which I know was probably a bad idea as I could leave them on accidentally and drain the battery. It wasn’t 24 hrs later and I had done just that. I told a buddy of mine and he said he had done the same exact thing so brought his to the local mechanic to have installed. I’d prefer to save the $ and like tinkering on things like this. (Know how is king). So, anyone with a BMW R1200Gs circa 2006 model have a good “lead” on a hot wire that is easily accessible? I’m thinking the headlamp but would love to hear from someone that has already done it...THANKS in advance.

image.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

I had the GSA which came with aux lights so I wired the harness from the Rigid lights I got into that so it would work off a switch.  You have a GS so I'd recommend wiring it off something like the headlight wire if you can, or any other you can find that is live when the key is on.  But include an in line fuse ~5 amps and add a switch.  I suck at wiring and have had @SeaWolfe help me countless times with that stuff.

Not sure how long those lights will last though.  I've had luck with Rigid and Cyclops and I know many people use Clearwater Lights and love them too.

• Like 1

Not being a GS guy I can't help you locate a hot wire, but I would suggest wiring any of your Aux electrical loads via a relay.  That way you still have a direct connection to the battery for heavy loads, but it will only be active when the key is switched on or when the bike is running depending on the switched power source you select.  The relay will allow the best of both worlds, direct connection to the battery while protecting lighter duty wiring and key off discharging.

• Like 1