Robbed at Gunpoint in Nevada

• Administrators

#avoidnevada

Nevada's number 1 source of income is tourism and gaming and they depend on people wanting to visit their State and leaving with a good experience.

I clearly have had a very unpleasant experience there and will do my best to hold them accountable for it.

I will not return to Nevada for a period of two years.  Sorry but this is some messed up you-know-what.  The hash tag avoidnevada will be added to all my IG posts for the next two years.

I do quite a bit in Nevada too.  I helped (worked with representatives John Ellison and Ira Hansen) with the creation of the Nevada Back Country Discovery route, something that brings hundreds of thousands of tourist dollars to the State which rivals even the winter snow industry.  I do AltRider's Taste of Dakar each year and have been on my own separate riding trips there, did Vegas to Reno and a few trip to Vegas.

Back on April 6 while taking part in AltRider's Taste of Dakar out of Gold Point, NV I was stopped by officer Darnell (ID#H6399) for passing in a no-passing zone.  I semi truck was going about 60 in a 65 and I saw the no passing zone ending and a straight stretch of highway (US 95 southbound at mile marker 33 south of Tonopah) with about 20 miles of visibility showing no oncoming traffic.  I think I had crossed the double lines but they were ending in about 100 feet.  I felt it wasn't a flagrant violation but a violation nonetheless.

However, officer Darnell had a wild hair due to the fact that the serial number on my registration tag was not the same as my license plate number.  I asked "is this a Nevada or California matter?  Besides, it's just a serial number and they aren't intended to match."  So what took me 5 seconds and a quick Google search on my smartphone took officer Einstein over 30 minutes over his radio to confirm that yes, the registration tags in California have serial numbers that aren't intended to be identical as the license plate number.

Okay so up to now it's just an annoying traffic stop.  But it gets worse...

I'd gotten a speeding ticket in Wyoming last August and they helpfully sent me a letter by mail telling me the fine and how to pay it.  The Esmeralda Township Justice Court sent me a "notice of intent to issue warrant" with a posted fine of $380! (no passing zone violation in CA is $238).  The clerk then told me for another $100 and change they could knock it down to a problem with the tail light (my tail light is in perfect working condition) and I'd avoid the points on my license.  Doesn't that sound like bribery?  I said "well I don't live in Nevada so it's not really going to be an issue for me."  Then the clerk said "well the two States' DMV's are connected and this is 4 points you're looking at."  Holy crap!  That's a big deal!

It's also a bid damn LIE!  As I found out later, a no passing zone violation is one point.  A DUI or hit and run with injury are each two points.

So $458.35 later I'm feeling a desperate longing for the roads of Baja, Mexico where even if you are stopped (never been stopped in 30+ trips) you can pay a $40 "fine" to the officer and never have any points on your license.

Like I said, Nevada's number one source of income is tourism and gaming which makes them no different from any other big business.  If they want people to still go there then they need to hold their public officials accountable for what is literally highway robbery.  It also makes me feel bad for the small businesses in Nevada like the town of Gold Point (Walt) and the Tonopah Brewing Company we frequent a lot because they depend on people coming to Nevada and having a pleasant experience.

Ticket prices are out of control! Hope you get this handled!

Well I was just involved in a motorcycle accident in which my motorcycle was totaled badly but I came away uninjured. Someone saw it and decided to call 911, I never asked for it. After the other car left and I was taping my bike back together, Fire department came with every freak’n truck they own, and they never put a finger on me. I said im fine, and denied all treatment or hospital ride. The situation was handled. Two weeks later I get a bill for $700!!! They said it was for an assessment and vitals!! This never happened! I had a heated argument with the billing company and now I have a lawyer looking into it. They said I had my vitals taken in the report which was falsified. I’m discussed with my local emergency responders right now.!  

Edited by Rogers
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Wow that’s crazy!

Well this post sure attracted quite a few trolls! People seemed not to read the post and reacted that I simply didn’t want to accept responsibility for my actions, blah blah blah.

While I do feel it wasn’t really that flagrant a violation, I do accept that I did in fact cross a double yellow line before it ended and have to take my lumps. Being detained for nearly 40 min on his thinking my tags were stolen or something was annoying but that’s about it.

My biggest issue was being lied to yesterday about it being four points on my license when it’s only one. I felt is was dishonestly “upsold” for an extra $125 or so.

Well as a reader pointed out, it actually is four points but in Nevada, not California. We have different point systems basically. This is a plausible explanation except when she said that my first reaction was that “I don’t live in Nevada so it’s not relevant to me.” That’s when she said the two systems are connected and that it’s still goi g to impact me in CA.

So while this may be the reason for the “misunderstanding,” I’m still quite cheesed about paying $458 for a very low level moving violation. It’s just $238 here in “Taxifornia.” I think my speeding ticket from Wyoming last August was $190.

For one point I could have gone to traffic school. Sure, that would have cost me the difference but let me make that decision. At least it’d be going to an honest business here in my home state than that court.

Passing a semi going 60 in a 65 with 20 miles of straight empty highway ahead is much safer than even going 75 in a 65, imho.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

Considering I've lived in Vegas for 23 years, I can tell you this state is and always has been run by corrupt thugs. And the last few years it's being overtaken by corrupt California transplant thugs. That's not likey to change in my lifetime.

All that being said, XLAdv.com is technically a "Nevada" run website... So that's gonna make boycotting the state a little tricky..lol

• Like 1

• Administrators

@Brian Wilson I did send you Megan though! That's one CA transplant who has her head screwed on straight ?

I may join you in two years.  We'll see.

I did transit the State last month on my way to ID and bought some gas in Winnemucca so I guess I've already caved.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...