KTM Rally 2018 Park City, UT

• Administrators

https_%2F%2Fcdn.evbuc.com%2Fimages%2F44905456%2F240376156540%2F1%2Foriginal.jpg

Who's going?  I keep playing this game with KTM on being invited but then not getting any response via email so I haven't gone the last two years.  Their brand manager said "aw man, you should have just come!" when I saw him at IMS Long Beach in Nov so screw it, I'm going.  Just sent them an email saying we'll be there.  Looking forward to it!

And yeah I'm riding it whether they let me or not! ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

Description of the Ultimate Race Challenge:

KTM ADVENTURE RALLY RIDERS OFFERED THE KTM ULTIMATE RACE OPPORTUNITY
For those who are attending this year’s KTM Adventure Rallies on a KTM ADVENTURE bike, KTM is offering your chance to qualify for the KTM Ultimate Race at the 2019 KTM Merzouga Rally in Morocco being held March 31st - April 5th, 2019 with a fully supported ride on the all-new KTM 790 ADVENTURE R.
The KTM Ultimate Race is a unique chance to compete at the Merzouga Rally for the top two qualifiers from each KTM Adventure Rally from across the world. Qualifiers from each KTM Adventure Rally will get to compete in an exclusive class at the Dakar series race in Morocco.
The winning qualifying riders will receive airfare and hotel accommodations. This global adventure includes full race service, entry fees, a mechanic and factory support while riding the new KTM 790 ADVENTURE R at the event. Riders will be coached by some of the world’s finest KTM riders and be treated like factory supported riders while they navigate through epic terrain. The winner of The KTM Ultimate Race in Morocco will win an incredible KTM 790 ADVENTURE R and a VIP DAKAR RALLY experience for two.
The KTM Merzouga Rally race spans over five days that includes a prologue and marathon stage across the mighty Moroccan landscape. Stages are varied, navigation is key and the race features participants with a wide range of abilities from amateur rally riders to to the factory pros. The KTM Ultimate Race is a one of a kind route through Morocco, specifically designed with bike and rider in mind, and runs parallel with the pro class of the Merzouga Rally.
For your chance to compete in the KTM Ultimate Race, enter and race in one of the six KTM Adventure Rallies this year on a KTM twin cylinder machine . The top two riders from each of the KTM Adventure Rallies in Italy, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Canada and USA will be awarded with The KTM Ultimate Race opportunity.
*Prize is awarded “as is” with no warranty or guarantee, either express or implied. Winner may not substitute, assign or transfer prize or redeem prize for cash, but KTM reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to substitute prize with one of comparable or greater value. Winner is responsible for all federal, state and local taxes, if any, as well as any other costs and expenses associated with acceptance and use of prize not specified herein as being awarded. All prize details, including color and features, are at KTM’s discretion.
KTM ULTIMATE RACE QUALIFYING
Guidelines
Rider and Bike Regulation
Rider must be 18 years or older.
Rider must be a participant in the 15th Annual KTM ADVENTURE Rider Rally in Park City, Utah, please see our ADVENTURE Rider Rally registration page for details https://nvite.com/ktm/cb82.
2-Cylinder KTM ADVENTURE motorcycles (950cc –1290cc) are required to participate in the KTM ADVENTURE Rider Rally.
Riders must be the registered owner of their motorcycle.
The motorcycle must be street legal and in good working order with proper street legal, off-road tires.
Participant must be an amateur rider not having held a professional racing license or having competed at the professional level within the past 10 years in any motorcycle racing organization including but not limited to: FIM, AMA, CMA, CMRC, MRS, CHN, PNWMA
Riders must supply current, functioning GPS unit (a second backup unit is recommended)
Riders must supply their own personal locator beacon (SPOT, Delorme, Garmin). The Kurt Caselli Foundation will be on site with a limited number of rental units.
KTM Employees and their family members are not eligible to participate.
Riding Skills
Racing: Rider must be expert level with advanced skill on a motorcycle.
Technique: Rider must have the ability to master difficult terrain and obstacles on a motorcycle.
Coordination Skills
Navigation: Rider must be able to navigate to a designated point through a designated route while riding and using a navigation system or road book.
Orientation: Rider must have the ability to evaluate difficult terrain and landscape marks.
Physical and Mental Condition
Strength: Rider must be able to lift up grounded KTM ADVENTURE motorcycle.
Endurance: Rider must be able to endure and compete on technical terrain with adverse situations.
Mechanical Skills
Motorcycle: Riders must have the ability to fix damages on motorcycle (flat tires / break & clutch lever) without assistance.
Qualifying Tasks
Day 0 (50 rider limit) – Thursday 9/13
All Qualifying Riders must check in at KTM Registration area beginning at 2:00pm and hand over GPS unit for download.
First Qualifying Task begins at 4:00pm
Task 1: Lift up a 1290 SUPER ADVENTURE R from loose, off-road ground, walk around the motorcycle while holding it without the side stand, and lay the bike down.
Complete task under 10 seconds or task is failed if over 10 seconds.
Day 1 (All Qualifying Riders) – Friday 9/14
All qualifying riders must meet at the Rider Pre-Meeting
Task 1: Navigate route without guide to 5 designated waypoints (GPX route and waypoints will be provided at RALLY) on own ADVENTURE bike. Waypoint mark must be photographed including motorcycle showing the ADV RALLY start number like in the example photos
Task 2: Upload the picture to Instagram with the #KTMUltimateRace (5 pts per waypoint).
Task 3: Ride an Off-road Enduro Track on own ADVENTURE bike: every rider has 2 runs (timed).
Task 4: Wheel change on a 1290 SUPER ADVENTURE R including running around the bike with the wheel.
Day 2 (Best 10 riders advance) – Saturday 9/15
Task 1: Navigate route without guide to 5 designated waypoints (GPX route and waypoints will be provided at RALLY) on own ADVENTURE bike. Waypoint mark must be photographed including bike showing the ADV RALLY start number like in the example photos
Task 2: Upload the picture to Instagram with the # KTMUltimateRace (5 pts per waypoint).

• Administrators

So in case you haven't seen the latest livecast on our Instagram channel, I was talking about how apparently KTM doesn't want to give XLADV press credentials this year for their rally... despite having given that to us before and actually INVITING ME TO ATTEND.  What does this mean?  It means I can still go and cover it but have to pay full boat just like everyone else and essentially give them free coverage of their event to those who follow us here and on FB and Instagram.

Obviously not happy to hear that.  Wondering why?  Was it something I said?  Is it that the press spots are all gone?  Is it that their strategy has changed?

I decided I will in fact pay to go (I registered and paid) and will attend the rally, do the challenge, etc... but really struggling to decide if and how I should cover their event.  Don't want to sound like a diva here but I have worked very hard at this over the past few years and we have a lot to show for our efforts, thanks to riders like yourself.  We have real "dirt cred" unlike the paid fluff magazines.  And we are targeted 100% on the adventure bike rider whereas you cannot target that narrow via Instagram or Facebook.  Companies (are starting to) pay for that hard work and I don't see why KTM should be any different.  ADVPulse will be at High Sierra next week and guess what?  I'm covering their cost!  That's how it works.  The OEM mfg's are a tough nut to crack though.  I'm very glad we have good relationships with Honda and making inroads with a few others.

There was a tire mfg who launched a new sports car racing tire in North America and invited many social media influencers to attend the launch so they could hear the marketing pitch, see what was new and different, test out the new tires on a test track etc...  The story was noteworthy because it focussed on how old media is changing and to remain relevant companies have to leverage the grass roots level via social media and forums.  Adventure motorcycles are really no different as we see many media outlets going digital, rags struggling to adapt and companies laying off left and right.  But a lot of companies are still stuck in the past, like the adv motorcycle tire mfg who did their North American launch over-promising and under-delivering on their marketing claims then the president of North America t-bones another rider and then refuses to pay the damages!  They clearly didn't get it and that tire's reviews on Revzilla are proof of their catastrophic failure.

I might think we'd be wanted there as we have been number 1 in adventure motorcycles on Instagram for quite some time and while not at the level of AOLrider (in decline), we still command a decent amount of traffic here (and growing!) and are the big bike counterpart of ThumperTalk which gets 1.5mm unique sessions/month.  This event has a contest to win a chance to race their new 790R at Merzouga, win an actual bike of their own and attend the Dakar as a VIP guest.  I've actually raced two rally raid events so far; one of which was ON THEIR BIKE (990).  Seems like a pretty good story to me.

Rant over.  I'd like to know your thoughts on whether I'm just being a whiny *$&%  or what.  Should I still "cover" the event while I'm there and after?  How should I cover it?  @Jason R had a "troll level: master" comment on the livecast saying I should show up on a Honda Africa Twin press bike!  ?  That's funny but I'll still go on the 990.

• Administrators

My buddy Quinn Cody (who am I kidding?) sent out this further info on the challenge and while he's being very forthright and up front about the nature of the difficulty, I can't help but salivate at how much fun this is going to be...

Hello, KTM Ultimate Race hopeful, You have signed on for a chance to qualify for the KTM Ultimate Race to be held at the Merzouga Rally in Morocco, April 2019. The two best qualifying riders from the six KTM ADVENTURE Rallies around the world will be given the opportunity to race the KTM Ultimate Race at Merzouga. The Merzouga rally is no joke - soft sand, rough rocky tracks and long hot days will await you. To select the two best riders to compete on behalf of the USA, we have designed a qualifying competition that will challenge not just your riding ability but your physical endurance, mechanical ability, decision making, and mental toughness.

Let me start by saying this will be no walk in the park. If you are not properly prepared you will struggle to finish. The loops and special test I have set up will be very challenging even for the best riders. Below I have outlined all the information needed to be successful at the qualifier at our Park City, Utah KTM ADVENTURE Rider Rally.

Competition Format:

The KTM Ultimate Race Qualifier is most of all a GPS navigation rally. You will be required to navigate to designated waypoints using your GPS unit, a provided GPS file, and a route book. This is not a race and speed will not help you, speeding on public roads will NOT be tolerated! There will be a very lax time limit, and honestly, if you cannot finish within the time limit, you can forget about Merzouga. Riders will not be following a typical GPS track, but rather chasing a series of breadcrumbs linked together by a string line. The string line will loosely follow the route, but it will require some awareness and forethought to choose the correct road or trail.

Along the route are a series of waypoints, at each waypoint, you must stop, take a photo of your motorcycle with the competition number showing and post it to Instagram using #KTMULTIMATERACE #KTMADVENTURERALLY, #KTMADVENTURE, #benlochranch and #wheelhaus. These hashtags will be used for scoring purposes so don’t forget to hashtag and post! Many of the areas will have no cell service, so you may need to save your photos and post them when you can, all photos must be uploaded by the closing time each day. Each waypoint will have a different point value listed in your route book, all waypoints are optional, and many of them are on out-and-back trails and are very easy to bypass. You will need to use good judgment to decide if it is worth expending the energy or risking damage to your bike to reach a waypoint.

Riders will compete in one timed Enduro test, and one timed wheel change competition on a provided KTM 1290 SUPER ADVENTURE R. Points will be totaled at the end of each day; only the top 10 riders will advance to Day Two. Total combined points over the two days will determine the overall standings. This format will reward riders who are well prepared, experienced in GPS navigation, and above all in good physical condition.

Day 1

+/- 210 miles, start time 8:00am

Day one will be a long, challenging ride that will wear you down. The riding consists of mostly pavement, rocky two track and gravel roads with a little bit of single track mixed in. You won’t face anything overly technical or extreme, but it will be LONG, I expect the best riders to finish in about 7 hours with a maximum time limit of 9 hours.

Riders will start out at Deer Valley resort, on an easy transfer of nice paved and dirt roads, at mile 48 you will arrive at Benloch Ranch for the Enduro test. Each rider will get two runs on the short but very technical enduro test before continuing. Over the next 150 miles, you will cover some incredibly beautiful and challenging terrain with very technical navigation. There will be a few optional bonus sections along the route where riders can collect extra points by riding a particularly challenging section. There are options for fuel at 55 miles and 150 miles. Upon returning to the Bivouac you will be required to do a timed wheel change on a KTM 1290 SUPER ADVENTURE R, you must remove the rear wheel run around the bike carrying the wheel and re-install the wheel.

Day 2

+/-100 miles Start Time 8:00 am

If you are one of ten riders strong enough to advance to day two, I apologize in advance. Day 2 will be 100 miles of the nastiest big bike two track and single track I could find near Park City. Navigation will be extremely vague, and it will be left up to you to choose the best route between waypoints. The best riders will finish in about 6 hours with a time limit of 8 hours.

Day 2 again starts out at Deer Valley on some of the same beautiful roads as day one; this quickly changes as you begin to explore some of the steepest and highest elevation terrains in the area. Your decision making will be challenged early on as you must decide if it is worth the risk to push forward and gain bonus points or give in and collect the points that are more within reach. Your single track riding skills will be tested as you traverse some long sections of off camber trail where one slip will leave you in big bike hell, struggling to drag your bike back to the trail. All and all day two will be tough no matter how you look at it. My advice, take your time, keep moving forward and know your limits.

Tips and Info:

• Preparation will be key to success, you will not finish this event if you and your bike are not properly prepared.

• Carry Tools, tow strap, spare tubes, tire changing tools and air compressor; you will probably get a flat at some point.

• Carry a rain jacket, the weather is constantly changing in the mountains, and it rains nearly every day.

• Use good Off-road adventure tires with heavy duty tubes and at least 30psi; I run 32psi on a 1090 ADVENTURE everywhere to prevent flats.

• Get to know your GPS, practice following a GPS track before coming to Park City, determine your preferred zoom level and orientation settings. Learn the menus and how to zoom in and out quickly (you will be doing this a lot).

• Your GPS unit must accept a GPX file as some Zumo type units don’t work well with this format. If you have a non-Garmin GPS, bring your data cable or SD card reader.

• GPS files from each day will have less than 400 data points

• If you are using a Phone-based GPS make sure you have solid, proven power source and mount; Rokform and Touratech mounts work well.

• Recommended iPhone GPS apps are Rever, Lead Nav, Motion X and Avenza maps.

• Download good base maps of the Park City area, USGS topo maps have enough detail to get you through. If you are using a phone GPS make sure you save the maps for offline use.

• Clear all tracks from your GPS before handing it over

• Wear a good hydration system with a minimum 100oz bladder

• A personal locator beacon is required. SPOT, Delorme, Garmin. The Kurt Caselli Foundation will be onsite with rental units for $30.

• Sweep riders will be on course to assist you if you have a problem

• Each waypoint will have a closing time, if you are having trouble making the closing times you may be sent to the nearest paved road by sweep or checkpoint crews.

• This qualifier is an induvial competition, no outside assistance is allowed except by other registered competitors. You can ride with another competitor and help each other, but you will be disqualified if you ride with someone not registered in the ultimate race qualifier.

• Make sure your Instagram account is public so we can see your posts. If you are new to Instagram practice using #s and posting.

Ultimate Race Qualifying, Schedule of events:

Thursday, September 13th

2:00pm-4:00pm Registration opens, hand over GPS for download

4:00pm Qualifying tasks begin, pick up a 1290 SUPER ADVENTURE R walk around and lay it back down (Softly). Under 10 seconds pass, over 10 seconds fail (you will be eliminated from the competition if you fail this task)

5:00pm Mandatory Riders meeting

Day 1 Friday, September 14th

7:30am Riders meeting and staging

8:00am First rider starts (one rider every minute based on start number)

9:30am Enduro Test opens

11:30am Enduro Test closes

3:00pm ETA of first finisher

5:00pm Wheel change competition opens 5:50pm Finish closes

7:00pm Results posted

Day 2 Saturday, September 15th (best ten riders)

7:30am Riders meeting and staging

8:00am First rider starts (one rider every 2 minutes in order of day one finish)

2:00pm ETA of first finisher 4:00pm Finish Closes/ Start of final qualifying task

7:00pm Awards dinner and winners announced

• Like 1

To be completely honest I think you're overreacting a bit Eric. I wouldn't sweat the issue of not being comp'd to attend. There could be a lot of reasons why they aren't comp'ing you such as your following may not be the market they are trying to attract etc. Also, in my opinion the best reviews are done on products and services that you pay for out of your own pocket. That has been my experience at least and I've done a lot of each. Good luck at the event and I look forward to seeing how it goes for you. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

Good point!  Im going there with a great attitude and eager to meet a few new people there from KTM I've spoken with via email.  Just looking for a win/win really.

As to the competition I hear there will be some REALLY great riders there who are really good at enduro style riding.  That's great but I will note there's a big difference between hard enduro and desert rally raid which is the Merzouga Rally everyone's competing to ride in.  Mike Lafferty is an enduro champion but I don't think he's ever done rally raid.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hearing good and bad from the KTM Rally so far...

The good is that people seem to be having a great time.  The bad is I know three are already out of the challenge.  @Brent Smith had some bad luck with a local suspension guy and ran out of time to get his forks properly fixed.  @brian.havoc1 had the all-too-familiar fuel pump failure on his 9 fiddy.  @greedyg had a problem with his left foot peg mount today and is also out.  Boo hoo!

Any other reports?

• Administrators

I saw yesterday that Randy the Maxima Oils USA guy who came to our Mojave and High Sierra events was doing very well.  He said the day before he'd had some dumb navigation errors but was doing well yesterday.

@brian.havoc1 congratulated a guy named Jordan Huibregste on winning it on a 950 ADV but not sure who was second (or if Jordan was second).

Looking forward to hearing more...

• 4 weeks later...