2018 Ken Mooty Memorial/CORVA Fundraiser

-This-is-why-we-can39t-have-nice-things-meme-27962.jpg.589d31095e5ef519227924bd210c9c81.jpg
Good news/bad news.
Bad news is with so few people signed up for this event I'm forced to make some decisions.  One is we won't get our cook nor our photographer  
Good news is the event is still on, we still have awesome raffle prizes and the upside is those attending have MUCH better odds now.  I'm also refunding $85 to those who've signed up already and re-setting the event price to $65.  I will keep the group site as well and that's free for the first 15 or so who want it.

Count me and Mrs. Motochefarwi on the group site pls!
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Eric Hall said:

If anyone has ideas on why this event isn't more popular, please let me know.

Not sure if it's the price.  There's an ADVrider rally in Pahrump, NV this same weekend but that didn't matter last year and we seem to draw a different rider type.

One thing I noticed is I left out the photography part in the main description on the FB event page.  That certainly doesn't help.  We had a good showing for Mojave and of course High Sierra so not sure why this one didn't get more attendees.

There is a large Adventure Rally the following weekend near Julian that has quite a few of the local guys attention. That may be a reason for low numbers too. 

https://www.advrally.com/

I would much rather ride Death Valley

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, GeoMoto said:

There is a large Adventure Rally the following weekend near Julian that has quite a few of the local guys attention. That may be a reason for low numbers too. 

https://www.advrally.com/

I would much rather ride Death Valley

I'll be in Julian too, if I can get my junk put back together...

• Like 1

I finally have the Motoz rear tractinator installed on "Oden" an R1100GS 96' with about 96200miles on her.  Well let me tell you this ol beast sure loves "new shoes".  I commute daily and it has been a blast on the tarmac and twisties on with these new Motoz tires.  The rear has such a large foot print for a 17" and it really feels good on the corners.  I guess my next question will be how well it hooks up in the dirt in DV.  I am a big fan of the Kenda Big Blocks and also the D606's so i'm curious how well they will behave on different terrain.  Maybe I should be posting this on the review section later!  All this bike prep is part of the the Adventure right? Last night a complete gearbox, final drive and Mineral oil change has been completed.  Now to pack my tools, food and essentials. 

IMG_7918.JPG

IMG_7752.JPG

IMG_7723.JPG

IMG_7751.JPG

• Like 3

• Administrators

@motochefarwi can't get over how well you were riding on that 1100GS!  You credited the tires but I saw a lot of confidence and good technique.  It was a really quick pace and a few times I struggled to keep up!  Love that section of DV and it never gets old riding it.

Seemed like we flew from PSR and ended up at Teakettle after just a single trail stop!

• Like 2

[mention=512]motochefarwi[/mention] can't get over how well you were riding on that 1100GS!  You credited the tires but I saw a lot of confidence and good technique.  It was a really quick pace and a few times I struggled to keep up!  Love that section of DV and it never gets old riding it.
Seemed like we flew from PSR and ended up at Teakettle after just a single trail stop!

It was a great ride Eric and we had a blast didn’t we! It felt really good riding this weekend. We all have these moments where it just feels good. Company was good, plenty of rest, weather was impeccable, and the Bike felt good. A bit dusty at times, but the trails were really good.
I’m flattered at your comment. I’ve been very fortunate to ride with a lot of good riders and learn from them and they have helped me get better. The cool thing is you never really stop learning when you come out to these events.
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

@WADE-O Potato we have three events here in SoCal I do.  Mojave first weekend in May, High Sierra Labor Day Weekend and this Death Valley event first weekend in Nov (may change that next year due to ADV Rally in Julian pulling riders away).  Mojave and High Sierra are for @MotorradAngels and the DV one is for CORVA.  We could always add an event.  @Ben Wood wants to do an event in Oregon which I think is a great idea.  It would be up to him who he wants to dedicate that to.  I'm sure there are similar off-road advocacy groups up there he can pick from.

I'll have to start thinking about another event!  I'm working on a pretty exciting one now but it may not be the right one for CORVA right now.

• Like 1