2014 1190 Adventure r cold starting issues

Hey all, 

If you went to High Sierra 2018, you might have heard me cranking my 1190r all day on friday trying to get it to start.  Arwi and I finally got it to start with Jonathan's assistance of pure luck at 3pm.  That night I kept the bike in the trailer all night and it was able to start the next morning and ride all day Saturday.  I left the bike out Saturday night and sunday morning it would not start.  I trailered home back to Yuma, and the 1190 started right up at home (it was 100 degrees at home).  

I did some google searching and so far I have come up with that there is some issue with the 2014 starter in cold weather.  I do have a lithium battery too.  

Does anyone have any sure experience with this?  Should I be looking for a 1290 starter motor and switch to an acid battery?  

Thanks!

Jason

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’ve inatalled half a dozen “updated” starters on the 1190s. I’ve done it multiple ways, pulling all the injection and throttle bodies is a must. It’s easy just very time consuming, makes a HUGE (Trump voice) difference. There is a couple videos on YouTube I followed first time. I changed some steps I do now in my shop. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...