The great tool-bag thread

Show us your tool-bags and explain the what and why! Here, I'll start.

This is for my G450X. OK... it's not really an XL bike :/ Gee!

Here's how my pack looks like. This is the Wolfman Medium Rollie Bag with two Wolf Bottle Holsters.

kjseM1x.jpg?1

HjUm9Nz.jpg?1

Let's start looking inside! Here's what fits in this baby:

1. Recovery bag

2. Flat tire bag

3. Misc items bag

4. Tools bag

5. Spare tubes for both front/rear

6. Zip ties (with several rubber bands)

bLBxeJs.jpg?1

The recovery bag is just what I need for a z-pull/drag system. There are several sets out there but I wanted to make mine on my own. Did I mention I have mild OCD?   :huh:  It contains:

5. The manual from the ascenders which will explain how to make a z-pull/drag system

ZKmQrai.jpg?1

The flat tire bag, is a standard. However, here's what it has in detail:

5. Gloves

J1qy256.jpg?1

The spare tubes, are in a ziplocl bag because try-to-put-them-in-the-bag-omg-they-wont-move-when-they-touch-the-wolfman-dry-material... Of course, a normal grocery bag would do as well. Just blame my OCD for the waste...

fKFiscz.jpg?1

My misc bag contains the following (I haven't included links for the obvious items):

1. Small mesh bag for the loose items (I got it from Michael's for like $1)

3. Electrical tape

4. Electrical wire

6. Any kind of light

8. Sandpaper

10. Lighter

11. WD40

12. Camping tape I suggest this brand. This thing will hold anything!

13. Coffee filter (to pour water in the radiator)

15. An extra sparkplug 

JWyBabz.jpg?1

Finally my tool bag. This took me the most time to gather. What I've been doing the last months, is using tools from my garage and every time I'm using something (for example a screwdriver or a 10mm hex socket), I'm taking a note and like that I assembled a list of all the tools I ever needed for my bike. In theory, I can bring the engine down with what I have in this bag. In theory. Of course, I don't know how... So for the G450X here's a list of the tools I used (no links of course)

Hex sockets: 8mm, 10mm, 11mm, 17mm, 22mm, 30mm

Hex bits: 3mm, 4mm, 8mm, 12mm

Wrenches: 11mm, 12mm

Tools: Leatherman, flat screwdriver, philips screwdriver, ratchet, extensions, adapters

LzB54jZ.jpg?1

And ALL of these items with fuel included, under 20lbs (12.5kgs for our Metric friends)!

isg9WBO.jpg?1

In addition to all of these, when I'm on my dirt-bike, I always carry:

Water

Snacks

My poop-bag (laugh all you want, I want to see you taking a sh!t and wiping with leaves)

Phone / InReach

Very small 1st aid kit

Let us see yours!

• Like 12

• 2 years later...
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2015 at 2:31 PM, DimitriT said:

The recovery bag is just what I need for a z-pull/drag system. There are several sets out there but I wanted to make mine on my own. Did I mention I have mild OCD?   :huh:  It contains:

1. 52ft of accessory cord (6mm)

2. 2x oval non-locking carabiners

3. 2x Petzl pulleys

4. 2x Petzl Tibloc ascenders

5. The manual from the ascenders which will explain how to make a z-pull/drag system

ZKmQrai.jpg?1

Well it's been well over two years since this post, but still a good topic. I wonder if you have gotten into a situation to where this equipment was utilized. The kit I used with my 690 Enduro earlier this year included a tow strap and I kept the bike tie-down loops around the handlebars since they could be reconfigured anytime if needed. 

Did you ever add a loop such as this for a quick and easy method of getting a hold of the bike? It would be a cinch to use with D-rings. https://www.rei.com/product/115283/sterling-rope-hollowblock-loop-cord-135

Khaki

Now with the AT, I am considering to add something like this for lifting. The only drawback would be if an anchor point isn't close by. Maybe a stout tent stake could be carried. 

Edited by rider_marc
added photo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rider_marc said:

Well it's been well over two years since this post, but still a good topic. I wonder if you have gotten into a situation to where this equipment was utilized. The kit I used with my 690 Enduro earlier this year included a tow strap and I kept the bike tie-down loops around the handlebars since they could be reconfigured anytime if needed. 

Did you ever add a loop such as this for a quick and easy method of getting a hold of the bike? It would be a cinch to use with D-rings. https://www.rei.com/product/115283/sterling-rope-hollowblock-loop-cord-135

Khaki

Now with the AT, I am considering to add something like this for lifting. The only drawback would be if an anchor point isn't close by. Maybe a stout tent stake could be carried. 

Never used it so far, hopefully I will never have to ;) I have a few small loops under my seat so I can use them for getting a hold of the bike. They are tow straps I got from a local bike shop or amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/TGL-Bright-Yellow-18-Inch-capacity/dp/B01GH3PBN4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1506697127&sr=1-1&keywords=tow+loop

• Like 2

Good stuff not to have utilized tools/equipment used in planning. Not everyone thinks through an upcoming ride like this. Just have to plan for the worst, and hope for the best. Right? Many ride alone, including myself, and with good riding and risk management, potentially bad situations do not happen. 

Really though, being self-sufficient is good whether adventuring alone, or with a group.

• Like 1