• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great preview and Thanks. Being from Texas we have some great riding areas but Nothing like Cali. I'd love to explore and enjoy some of the trails very soon. Thinking of loading up a trailer with 2/3 bikes and heading out for a month or so.

• Like 2

• Administrators
22 hours ago, Trailzrider said:

That is what I am thinking. It seems doable in three days at a intermediate pace and see the sites. I need to look at the tracks in more detail. How long did they take in the movie to cover it?

GPS tracks looks like 8 days!

Snow could be an issue further north. I would hate to bypass the red lines, unless they are not doable on a big bike. I am up for two 3-day rides. Ride-1 Yuma to Beatty. Ride-2 Benton to Beatty. Ride-1 February 23rd and Ride-2 mid to late April or May. The midway point might need to change since it looks like it goes through Titus Canyon (one-way).

• Like 1

So the wife and I went down to Riverside last night to watch the film.  I’ve reviewed the tracks and aside from the section between Yuma & Blythe (that’s @Jason R‘s territory) I’ve ridden every section of this route at one time or another.  Stringing all these areas together would be great fun. However considering this is billed as a “winter route” I have concerns about potential snow on Hunter Mtn in DV and Wyman/Silver canyons near Bishop. There are alternate go-arounds but those are must see stops IMHO. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the film. It looks like they had support vehicles at most of the camp grounds. I have a buddy that lives on Lanfair Road in between the 40 and the 15. I could ask him to leave some firewood at a camp ground or camp on his property. Just need to let him know when and where. I am thinking leaving Yuma the morning of 2/15, 2/22, or 3/1. Then ride for 3-days. Anyone else interested in any of those dates?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last winter we rode the entire route, including the Sec 7 Alt. and yes, it's billed as a winter route, but not this winter! Hunter, back side of Cerro Gordo and Sec 7 Alt as mentioned earlier will all be snowed in for awhile.  Yes, we had jeep support (the beers were cold, the dinners were amazing).  But, we needed it so the film crew could charge camera batteries and off load data at night. (the only downside was the generator on the jeep would run late into the night on a few occasions.) Everyone carried their own camping gear and food for breakfast and lunches.  We filmed the 1st of April and we hit temps about 95 the first day, and about 100 in Death Valley, but the week before the weather would have been about 15 degrees cooler.  Just can never tell if a High Pressure system will move in and heat things up after March. We took 8 days but we were going slow filming.  You can easily do it much faster.

Ron

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1