The "Beyond Starbucks Gold"

Hey,

After much non-lulz inducing drama involving my Business almost going kaput since May we are back and firing on all 8 cylinders.

Since the loss of my Mom a couple years back I conceived of a suitable farewell for the woman most directly responsible for my being away from motorcycling for almost 35 years and then glibly letting someone else take the blame. I'm not nearly as angry now as when I found out when she was living in my home but that is neither here nor there. 

After taking my Wife to see our fake Son graduate from Parris Island last September I drove us up to Pennsylvania to see her Mother's Sister for what quite possibly could be the last time. Again, neither here nor there just setting the stage for HOW I managed to get the blessed woman to OK my send-off of Mommy and why the bleep I NEED 5 days away to go to the California Desert.

First reason, Lost Coast.  Leaving early Wednesday night and jamming the I-5 down to the cutover to Crescent City where instead of whipping a right like I usually do, I'll make a left and go to Legett for the start of Highway 1.  Google refuses to route me but I've already checked CalTrans and they show it open in it's entirety with some spots shut down to one lane but nonetheless passable. Somewhere above Point Reyes I'll cut inland and get back on 101 to Pacific Palisades where I'll have a private farewell for my Mother at a place she never actually saw although she is of that faith.  She DID pay to send a young 13 year old man to rich white kids Church Camp there way back when in that Summer of Lucas when the Trailblazers won the Championship.  And even that would have been seven years since I've seen the Northern California coast back in '70. My Mom, my Step-Dad and myself (all six years of me) drove a 1948 Diamond T flatbed logging truck with a teardrop trailer on the flatbed all the way up the coast from San Diego (they were married in Tijuana) to Marblemount, Washington. Talk about your Hippy upbringing. Nothing if not colorful. Many, many colors, like meeting Kesey at the Rainbow Fest and eating Peyote. Like getting the guy at Vortex who was asking for glue a bottle of Elmer's and not understanding why he was upset. Like letting me believe for over 30 years that it was my Step-Dad who sold my bike for dope. Time enough to put all that away for good on that ride, and afterwards she sleeps with Ghandi at the Lake she could never afford to visit herself.

Second reason (and MOST important)- a certain young Marine of my acquaintance is stationed at Twentynine Palms until March and he has let me know he has Friday through Tuesday Liberty. Since said Marine is in possession of an endorsement for the State of Masachusetts I believe I might extend to him the courtesy of riding my fine Tiger whilst I rent something for myself as the more senior (and able) party.

BUT THE MAIN REASON I POSTED THIS:

I got 4 days in Cali. coming with my full load Tiger and I'm probably going to rent a Weestrom that's available close by for my Fake Son to ride. Is this SB Gold a good candidate or should I look elsewhere? I'm figuring frost early would be about all that would be happening but we should know more weather-wise the closer the date. If it's too darned dry I'll probably take a pass as unless there's some rocks for kitteh's tyres, she no like the sand too much. Found that out when the typical wet sand on the beach became dry and my Son and I both decided that was a bit too "manly" for us up there. 

So let me know what the opinion is and we'll see you out there November 8th through 11th!

• Like 1

• Administrators

I set up the course to be typical of the average BDR route which is designed for big adventure bikes with some kind of knobby tire.  Depending on the season and how wet it is will determine the difficulty.  In the warmer months when it's dry the sand will require more work.  In the winter when it's usually pretty moist it's a ton of fun.  Should be do-able for the average rider.  Good luck!