2019 KTM 790 Adventure

You know, besides the R being an awesome cross country exploration bike, I think that non-R is going to tick a lot of boxes for a lot of people. Having ridden the 790 duke, I think the 790 adventure would be a bloody fabulous bike to tour the tarmac on. 

I notices the trail and rake is different on both models... is that simply because of the longer legs, or is the frame geometry different? I guess I should get out the calculator and see if 40mm travel front and rear at the given rake and trail add up to 19mm longer wheel base.

Just when I was finally giving into a new 1090...

On paper the 790R is very close in size to my aging 950.  The 790 has only 10mm more travel but 18mm less ground clearance and is almost 2" shorter in the wheelbase.  The seat heights are the same and the rake is within 0.3 degrees.  I think the shorter wheelbase will help it only require half the desert to get turned around!  Hopefully KTM opened up the steering lock a little to help in the East Coast Maneuverability Dept.  I feel the biggest lure with the 790R is it weighs in 38 pounds less than my 950 and has similar HP ratings.  My 950 has the 12 gallon tank setup and there is a huge difference in feel between 12 gallons (76 lbs of fuel) and empty, that same feel is very noticeable at half tank (a little more than a stock 950).  That half tank (a full 950 stock tank) is the same weight difference between the two.  That new 790R has to feel like a feather compared to the 950/990.  I have a 2nd 950S with the stock tanks and when I ride it, I feel like the bike is 6 inches narrower.  It'll be interesting to see how those 790's tanks feel.

The 790R has more travel, more ground clearance and 56 pounds less than the 1090R

DAMNITT KTM!!!

It's only money, right?

Anyone interested in a very used 640 Adventure??? May be time for a garage sale :D 

Edited by MGorman

The 2019 street model pricing was released back in Sept but nothing has appeared on KTM dealernet for the 790 as of this time other than an unclickable link in the parts finder.

I read somewhere that dealers wouldn't even be able to order them until the spring of '19 which would push them back a few months after that.  Then the top tier dealers will get theirs first, probably after the European dealers are filled.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The 2004 KTM 950 Adventure had a base price of approx $11,998 US sixteen "model years ago".  The 2012 990 ADV-R was $14,999.  So $15,274 isn't that far fetched considering all the technology that is being put into the modern Adv bikes.  That ugly headlight and its electronics alone probably cost more than you think.  The 790 Duke headlight is $929, the speedo is $808.  Now add in inflation, ABS and all the other electronic rider aides, the bike gets heavier and more expensive.  

To me personally, the R model should be stripped of everything not mandated by the DOT, CARB or EPA.  I do have the new bike bug for a left over 1090 but at this point, I'll probably keep my 04 950 and 06 950 Adventure S.  If my bike dies out in BFE, I'm probably out of gas!  On second thought, that'd be embarrassing considering the 12 gallon tank :( 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, robson said:

all good but can you trust the relatively new engine?

That same motor [with more than likely a different EFI map and cam profiles] is being used in the 790 Duke.  I'm guessing KTM flogged the crap out of those Dukes to both test the engines endurance and to have a little too much fun.  I'd research the Duke and see if there have been any issues.  I believe there were a few minor TSB's sent out but I'd have to look when I get back to the shop.