2019 KTM 790 Adventure

14 hours ago, Nerb said:

Well, Australian pricing is out and we are being hammered!

Tell me if this is correct....

In USA, 790R $13499, AT $13499 (same price), Tiger 800XCX $14450 (+7%) and 850GS is $15595 (+14%)

In Australia 790R $22690, AT $19499 (-14%), Tiger 800XCX $21650 (-5%) and F850GS Rallye $18390 (-19%) and rallye-X is $22,305.

edit: the 1090R here is $21500.... 5% cheaper than the 790.

Here, the 790R is by far the most expensive of all the 800 bikes. Why oh why!

because it's new, loaded with electronics (mostly unnecessary), high tech suspension and ugly front.

If you look at specs it beats all competition, personally I don't trust yet this smallish engine though.  Give it a six month  and price will drop.

Interestingly enough the 1090R is now cheaper then 790R...crazy.

Edited by robson
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, robson said:

because it's new, loaded with electronics (mostly unnecessary), high tech suspension and ugly front.

Then why is it cheaper in the usa than the other 800's? It seems that its only Australia that its more expensive than everything else.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Simon Cudby of UPShift Online got to go to Morocco to test out the new KTM 790!  This video is his overview of the R version equipped with knobby tires (looks like TKC-80s).  Interesting they show this bike with Karoo 3 tires but chose the TKC-80's for the dune sand.  Of course I'd have Motoz tires on it but the TKC-80's are a much better choice for sand than the Karoo 3's.

He explains in some fair amount of detail the traction control and throttle response variables you can play with on this new bike.  Really makes me want one bad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Eric, especially if they are made from the same materials as the 950/990, that's some pretty tough stuff unlike the steel tanks found on most other adventures and dual sports that get crushed.  They'll still scratch but they won'y rust!  My 640 has slid down the road twice on the same side and while there are scratches (a lot!) the tank is still structurally sound.  I'd think the aftermarket, possibly even KTM will make carbon or ABS stick or bolt-on tank guards like they did for the 9X0 series motos.

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, Eric Hall said:

Honestly they feel equal. The 790 has a bit less horsepower but it’s also lighter.

That makes sense. I also like how low the fuel lobes are but they do present an issue when you fall over. I’ll be curious to see how the after market gets after that problem. I’m excited to see the aftermarket finally get a crack at this bike. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Been hearing a lot of good things about the 790 lately from friends:

“I don’t want to sound too excited but it’s everything I expected and then some. It feels like a big dirt bike, not so much a off-road street bike. Suspension is killer. Never did I feel a harsh bottom out. We averaged 54 mpg on the 650 miles we did. So range is really good. The electronics package has some cool options in Rally mode. We had 6 790’s on the trip, no issues.”

“Only negative I can possible think of is that it wants to cruise at 75 on the highway (not really for me though as I hate the highway anyway and I’d be better off not getting tickets). It’s definitely set up to be a dirt bike. It’s smaller than the 1090, you would probably want to get a tall seat for sure and raise the bars.”