2018 ADV Rally - Julian, CA

• Administrators

Here with Jason, Greg, etc... at this ADV Rally our on by Bonnier group of magazines. Last year was at China Lake. This year in Julian.

I will have many more pics later but just chilling now as I got here late and Jason’s bike won’t start. Again

• Like 2

Here with Jason, Greg, etc... at this ADV Rally our on by Bonnier group of magazines. Last year was at China Lake. This year in Julian.

I will have many more pics later but just chilling now as I got here late and Jason’s bike won’t start. Again

What? Burp the fuel tank. Charge on the trickle charger.
Maybe try some octane booster??

• Administrators

I think the problem with @Jason R's bike is tight valves.  We'll see!

Really great program once again!  I was worried with Corey Eastman leaving Bonnier that this event might "lose its soul" but I was not disappointed!  Corey went over to Rever and they are a key sponsor still so I was really glad to see Corey emcee the event once again!

Last year this even was nearly $400!  They had about 80 attendees.  This year they lowered it to just $50 (thought it was a typo) and they got 260!  Of course you had to make your own reservations for camping and buy your own food but I don't think anyone minded that.  There was one food truck that I thought would be overwhelmed but the lines were never long and the food was fantastic.

This is kind of a scavenger hunt as each team of riders gets points for doing any number of trails that are worth more or less points depending on how hard or easy they are.

I rode with Greg and Chris and we did fine but saw a lot of "Starbucks" rider carnage along Grapevine Canyon, lol.  One guy lost his hard pannier and we helped another lady up who'd fallen.

Here's Jason, sad that he can't ride

IMG_3917.JPG

I saw Rich there, the Heavy Enduro guy.  He had all kinds of mechanical issues with a broken chain, blown fork seals and something else but luckily he had his 450 along and rode that.

IMG_3920.jpg

Stopped in to see family

IMG_3921.jpg

Jason had some leftover oak from High Sierra and that burned REALLY well!  Wish I'd brought my SoloStove but wouldn't fit on the bike

56350610509__2C4F1F6D-B703-4E15-A1B8-712F67448138.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 3/5/2019 at 2:08 PM, greedyg said:

We should put together our own scavenger hunt type of ride.  It was a lot of fun.

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0911.JPG

@greedyg  I have put one together last June up in Stonyford with the BMW Norcal Moto Club.  It was a blast!  I did some recon about a month before and scouted one section and planned.  then we left early on the day of the event and planted the pics for the selfies. We camped and rode. So we stayed in one spot the first night and made it over to Stonyford for the second night.  We had a "sagwagon"  that carried all of the tents and bags.  Rad time. You had to take a selfie with a picture that we hid in various places with "clues" and way points.  After the fact folks were stating to make it even more challenging than we did!  

• Like 1