ICON Helmets Statement

• Administrators

76917be7-470d-47ef-8cb3-f20cb3f79f8d.jpg

I just read this yesterday and it left me scratching my head. Apparently some racing association in New Mexico says they’re de-listing ICON helmets.

ICON responds: http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/icon-motorsports-releases-statement-regarding-asma-helmet-ban/

What’s your take?

I’ve owned three of their helmets and even took a fall with one. Seemed to work for me. They seem to not only adhere to all the safety standards but are actually part of the international process for standards setting.

This reminds me a bit of the old controversy around the Suzuki Samurai (my first car). Some group made up their own “test” where they shortened the distance between cones and increased the speed to make it roll. They basically made up their own test to cause a controversy.

This is a very interesting topic. ANY helmet which as been in an crash should be thrown away and replaced, regardless of what the "outer shell looks like."  So, to ban a type of helmet that does not show external damage when there might be hidden internal damage sounds strange to me... 

I have personally been down in Arai, Icon, Shark and even Z1R and all have "protected my head" the same.  Ironically... the only accident I received a concussion during was the 3rd most violent of the 4... and I was wearing and Arai Profile helmet.  Go figure. 

• Like 1