LAB2V 2019 Adventure Route

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Update! So I got some great big bike friendly route suggestions from Jimmy Lewis through the Mojave National Preserve and I’m sending off that permit request to see if they approve.

Just to catch you up, the challenge has been finding an appropriate route on day 2 because there are so few options created by Ft. Irwin, Mojave National Preserve and Mojave Trails National Monument.

If MNP approves then we are a go!

And just to let you know, your own responsible riding st our two past Mojave events may make a difference as the rangers there like how we conducted ourselves and it has given them an example of what a day of about 50 adventure motorcycles on their easiest dirt roads looks like. I’m optimistic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Well it hasn't been easy but it looks like there just might be an ADV route after all.  I went through a lot of work to put what I think is an epic one together and had the help of Jimmy Lewis and got a permit for it to transverse the Mojave National Preserve.  For reasons that aren't entirely clear to me, they may just go with another simpler route that follows their dual sport route pretty closely.  They may have been concerned with having two support/recovery/EMT teams or something, not sure.  Their final meeting was last night and I think they may have come to a conclusion.  The other route was put together by a friend of mine (BigTodd) and he says it's very doable on a big bike and I trust his judgement.  Perhaps they can use the route I came up with next year?

This did make me realize though that I'd like to do an event of my own that isn't LAB2V at all (nor the same weekend) but an event that has the to and from portions be mostly dirt and be the main part of the event itself.  Something like Death Valley via dirt and back.  You'd have to ride the course with all your gear you need to camp and eat on your bike, camp overnight then ride back via dirt.  I have tracks from basically Adelanto to Death Valley and back.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Eric Hall said:

Well it hasn't been easy but it looks like there just might be an ADV route after all.  I went through a lot of work to put what I think is an epic one together and had the help of Jimmy Lewis and got a permit for it to transverse the Mojave National Preserve.  For reasons that aren't entirely clear to me, they may just go with another simpler route that follows their dual sport route pretty closely.  They may have been concerned with having two support/recovery/EMT teams or something, not sure.  Their final meeting was last night and I think they may have come to a conclusion.  The other route was put together by a friend of mine (BigTodd) and he says it's very doable on a big bike and I trust his judgement.  Perhaps they can use the route I came up with next year?

This did make me realize though that I'd like to do an event of my own that isn't LAB2V at all (nor the same weekend) but an event that has the to and from portions be mostly dirt and be the main part of the event itself.  Something like Death Valley via dirt and back.  You'd have to ride the course with all your gear you need to camp and eat on your bike, camp overnight then ride back via dirt.  I have tracks from basically Adelanto to Death Valley and back.

I really like the idea of doing a self supported out and back ride in that area. I think it would be a great event in place of the Death Valley rally we were talking about around the fire. If large enough you could even do it in waves by skill or speed level.

13 hours ago, Eric Hall said:

We must redo the 2017 CORVA fundraiser rally in DV. And start at Adelanto just for fun. 

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Harsimran Baweja said:

We must redo the 2017 CORVA fundraiser rally in DV. And start at Adelanto just for fun. 

I'm trying to move that to Jan/Feb because the ADVRally moved theirs from Sep to Nov and messed us up.  We had just 13 people last time lol.

• Like 1

• Administrators

BigTodd just sent this email out I will excerpt here:

XLADV Crew

It’s official, the D37 crew has agreed to add Adventure Bike routes into this year’s LA-Barstow-Vegas Dual Sport event.  Unfortunately it wasn’t able to work out this year for the route Eric proposed.  The good news is that there will be ADV Options diverting from the regular route for both days.  These options have been added to the GPS files.  The better news is that Both Day 1 and 2 may be the easiest LAB2V route in a long time.  If there was a perfect year to run a big ADV bike for the event, this is the year.

@Trailzrider came out for some route proofing last week and was a great help in working out some of the ADV Options and go arounds. There are 2 spots on Day 1 that the ADV Options are far enough from the regular route that D37 is requesting a sweep team be available to cover those sections.

John, if you are still open to provide a Jeep sweep on those 2 sections that would be great.

The D37 team will have SWEEP identification for you as well as radio frequencies on Friday at the Palmdale start.

All, please let me know about your participation and if there are any other XLADV peeps that might be able to help out.

• Like 2

Do you have enough jeep sweeps for day 1 or still need someone? I'm going to sit this year out till I see some video of the routes Everything I've seen so far on youtube would have me duck paddling for hours through the silt, but I've got a 4x4 grand cherokee and I'd be happy to help make the big bike route happen if that's what it takes 

• Like 2