TrailTech Voyager Pro

• Administrators

hero_voyagerpro.png

Getting myself one of these Voyager Pro gps units soon and pretty excited!  Especially undertaking this LAB2V planning.

I'm very interested in the buddy feature where you can see your friends (who have the same unit) on-screen.  REVER has this feature too and it's how I found @motochefarwi at TOD last year although that does require cell phone signal whereas the Voyager Pro relies on antennas that have about a 1.5 mile radius but depends mostly on line of sight.

I got to demo one at last year's Mojave Rally and I was very interested.  I actually still have the antenna on my bike!

It will also sync via Bluetooth to your phone allowing you access to your music, messages and phone dialing.

I already have a tachometer so I can see that but it would be nice to try and integrate the tach and engine temp features.  That's more of a small-bike thing though as this is designed to completely replace whatever existing display is on your dirtbike.  I saw they sell a thermostat but it's not something I plan to integrate at this time.

As far as mounts go, I'm really not sure how I'll do it.  They have a RAM mount accessory and I could easily do that to the handlebars like I have with my current Garmin but that tends to vibrate a lot and move no matter how tight I screw it down.  I'd like it above my current oem display but not really sure how to best install it.  We'll see.

But here's what really strikes me most about this unit from TrailTech, it's that it's a unit designed and built from the ground up for OFF ROAD USE!  The screen is VERY easy to see, even in bright light.  The tracks and waypoints, etc... are all easy-peasy like we all got together to decide how to best to a GPS for our type of use.

I'll post up more later once I get it installed and then as I use it.

What are your thoughts?  I'd love to hear from those who have this unit already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Eric;

A buddy runs  the 1600 mile  Tour of Idaho (one of the most challenging dual sport events in the country) loves his older unit (and maybe his new one).  Because navigation is one of the most challenging aspects of this grueling backcountry event and the thing that knocks many teams out of the challenge, a bullet proof (read dedicated) trail unit has always been a priority for him.  Having written and reviewed for the moto industry for years, Martin pulls no punches when it comes to gear.  The review here is on the older version but you might find it useful.   If you ever get into SE Idaho, look him up.  He is always looking for a back country adventure.

Cheers!

• Like 1

• Administrators

My go-to wiring guy, @SeaWolfe, helped me (once again) wire up the Voyager Pro today.  We connected it pretty much the same place as the Garmin Montana (now for sale) that we put on about a year ago.

I decided to go ahead and try to install the tachometer wire even though I already have a tach display on the main panel, just to see what it looks like.  It's essentially just a wire you loop around the spark plug wire and tape but in the case of the 990, it has a coil over the plug.  They suggested I go ahead and wrap it around the lowest point of that coil and tape but said they won't guarantee that will work.  They were right!  It worked for a while but showed half the actual RPMs as my main tach and then quit working after about 20 min.  No big deal because like I said, I already have a tach.  This more for a dirt bike anyways where you're replacing your main display.  I'm not replacing mine in this case so no worries.

I'm going to start fiddling with the unit to get more familiar with how it works and see if there's any firmware upgrades I have to do.  I need a micro-SD card and have to format it a certain way (EXFat or something like that).

I'll be riding this weekend so I'm going to try and upload a gpx track and see how easy it is to load and follow.  More Sunday...

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:38 PM, Eric Hall said:

@ToddMac Is that Martin Hackworth?  We're social media friends.  I'll ask him.  Jimmy Lewis did a cool video with Klim on his experience on the Tour of Idaho.

@Eric HallYep...that's him and loved the Lewis TID video(s).  One day, when I earn the right to call myself a proper off-road rider,  I'll give it a try.  Would love to earn a slot on the finishers list.  Hundreds have tried...only dozens have made it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I'm really not that stupid but I did find it hard to decipher how to load tracks so I thought I'd put together this video.  The instructions simply listed a series of what seemed to be menu hierarchy commands: Screens > Map > Tracks > Load GPX but when I looked at the main menu I found nothing saying Screens or Maps.  Figured out they mean you should actually switch to the Map screen then click the three dots on the lower left of the screen and you'll see a sub menu pop up.  Touch "Tracks" and then you'll see the option to load tracks.  Just pop your MicroSD card in to the side and you're ready to upload tracks!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice unit. I have been using the older voyagers on all my bikes. Just updated to the Pro last month. I still wouldn't be without my 680 or my phone.

Too many things can go wrong. I tapped into the stock KTM computer and have both on the bike.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...