Mojave May 3-5 2019

1 hour ago, Chris Owens said:

Well, I'm out.  I found at least two bent shift forks while rebuilding my gear box last night.  I so wanted to try some Mojave riding with my new set-up.  And I can't believe I'm baling on another ride with @greedyg too (I wonder why).

@Eric Hall Would it be possible for any late comers to buy me out of my admission, say half price?  They could message me for my (wife's) paypal info and I'll let you know that they've paid up.  Maybe a fence straddler could enjoy some Mojave for me.  If not, that's fine.  I don't want to cause any confusion and I know it's going to a good cause.

1 hour ago, greedyg said:

@Chris Owens dude bring the Strom. There’s a lot of good nicely graded roads too. Honda Civic type roads. Just ask @bruinjon he loves those roads...

Alright, cancel my above comment. 

Consider my arm sufficiently twisted thanks to @greedyg texts.  If I can get out of work to get a set of tires on my overweight 100k mile Strom, I'll make it.

• Like 2

On 4/29/2019 at 11:48 AM, Eric Hall said:

Tracks time!  I think you will like this years tracks.  A few new ones and better coded by letter (A, B, C) and color (Red, Blue, Green).

If you're intermediate or better consider taking that Powerline track in from Ludlow.  It's about 54 miles.  Very nice!

Easy AM is a slightly different way to Pioneer Saloon that might be slightly more challenging.

If you do want to hit Pioneer Saloon and you want an intermediate way back, check out either Primm to Goffs for a nice tour including the Ivanpah solar plant or I did part of that Advanced 1 route back.

Check out Shoot Las Vegas on the back side of Goodsprings to shoot a .50 cal or machine gun!

Mohave National Preserve 2019.GPX

Thanks Eric, looking forward to the tracks this year! Well it will be my first.  

Doing some late night uploading of the tracks, I like to load them on to my google maps on my phone so I have them with me, however I find that the color scheme only shows up in blue.  I use this as a good resource to scroll through certain way points that are nicely titled.  Here you can share the tracks with your friends via email or google drive etc.  (I send them to my wife so she has an idea of what type of Mayhem I'm up to with the guys! )  Also I do check out my Rever on my desk top or lap top and try to find other tracks from Eric or entitled Mojave.  If  you follow or have friends on Rever you are likely to see their tracks.  For example @greedyg and @bruinjon did some scouting last week and I was able to see their tracks too.   Well there you have it!  Below is a screen shot of the tracks itemized by the route you desire.  I do plan on doing som pre running with @Jason R and @ westenrogers on Thursday afternoon to get a feel for the terrain.  I suggest if you don't have Rever, give it a try and "follow the Blue line" or click the "ride it!" button and see how you like it.   It works well when you have the Premium subscription.  I do not work for Rever, but I havve been patient witht this app and have been using it for a few years.  They have also develeoped a turn by turn feature and maybe I will give it a go on one of the tracks.   I have found it useful on many rides such as Death Valley and High Sierra's at past XLADV rides.  Happy to help anyone out with the app while we are out there. 

See you all out there on the trails! 

Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 10.55.24 PM.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, motochefarwi said:

Thanks Eric, looking forward to the tracks this year! Well it will be my first.  

Doing some late night uploading of the tracks, I like to load them on to my google maps on my phone so I have them with me, however I find that the color scheme only shows up in blue.  I use this as a good resource to scroll through certain way points that are nicely titled.  Here you can share the tracks with your friends via email or google drive etc.  (I send them to my wife so she has an idea of what type of Mayhem I'm up to with the guys! )  Also I do check out my Rever on my desk top or lap top and try to find other tracks from Eric or entitled Mojave.  If  you follow or have friends on Rever you are likely to see their tracks.  For example @greedyg and @bruinjon did some scouting last week and I was able to see their tracks too.   Well there you have it!  Below is a screen shot of the tracks itemized by the route you desire.  I do plan on doing som pre running with @Jason R and @ westenrogers on Thursday afternoon to get a feel for the terrain.  I suggest if you don't have Rever, give it a try and "follow the Blue line" or click the "ride it!" button and see how you like it.   It works well when you have the Premium subscription.  I do not work for Rever, but I havve been patient witht this app and have been using it for a few years.  They have also develeoped a turn by turn feature and maybe I will give it a go on one of the tracks.   I have found it useful on many rides such as Death Valley and High Sierra's at past XLADV rides.  Happy to help anyone out with the app while we are out there. 

See you all out there on the trails! 

Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 10.55.24 PM.png

***Another useful tip I have found is to download your map in google to "offline" .  This way you can still see on your phone with out any service in remote area.

• Like 1

Ladies and germs I present the Mojave Grand Loop.  200 miles of the best the desert has to offer.  Rocks, sand, J-tree forests, huge vistas, 2 track, wide open triple digit dirt, sand, dry lake beds, mines, homesteads, mountain passes, sand and a bit more sand for good measure.  And in the middle of it all, a fantastic burger & a beer at the Pioneer.  Bring your A game -

Mojave Loop.jpg

Edited by greedyg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Thanks @greedyg .  I added this to the REVER XLADV community page so if you want to follow this track you'll need the app on your phone.

I see you started off in that sand wash nw of camp!  That should weed out a lot of folks.  At 206 miles it will be a long day.

• Like 2

Sorry I had to bail.  50 miles into day one my 1190 got the dreaded MTC Failure message and left me stranded all by my lonesome.

I was able to limp it back to camp and decided to cut my losses and get the bike back to the dealer.

I'm bummed I missed out on the rest of the rally.

Cheers, Dan

• Administrators
Sorry I had to bail.  50 miles into day one my 1190 got the dreaded MTC Failure message and left me stranded all by my lonesome.
I was able to limp it back to camp and decided to cut my losses and get the bike back to the dealer.
I'm bummed I missed out on the rest of the rally.
Cheers, Dan

So sorry to hear that!

Did you leave a folding chair?

On 4/30/2019 at 10:33 PM, motochefarwi said:

insert applause here!  more the merrier!  Braaaap! 

@Chris Owensit was great to ride with you!  you muscled the Vstrom with ease!  nice work!  I do know how it feels to have little clearance on some of those whoops and sand washes!  What matters is that you were there and having a blast!!!  good luck on the rebuild.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...