Buying Used ADV Bikes

Hello fellow riders! I’m curious to hear how many of you have purchased a used ADV Bike vs a new dealer bike off the show room floor? There is a lot of good value bikes out in the market place and I’m curious to hear your takes. I use my bikes as my commuters and also my weekend warriors so I have a lot of saddle time all year long.

Lucky to be living out in California where it is possible.

Happy to hear what you all have to say in the subject.

• Like 1

I have done both.  My last new bike off the showroom was a 2014 BMW F800GSA.  My last purchase was private sale.  

Right now, I don't know if I will buy new again.  My used bike came all ready setup.  Even the ergos were perfect.  So far the only other bike I have gotten on new that was near perfect fit for me off the showroom floor is the Africa Twin Adventure Sport.  

A dealer will always have some markup on the bike.  A good dealer would have gone through the used bike and done a safety check, change the oil, fixed any issues before putting it out for sale.  They may even give you a 30 day warranty.  

I look at all options!  

• Like 2

Buying new is dumb.  The moment you drive off the lot, your losing a huge chunk of the bikes value.  Then, soon as you get home, you get online and start shopping for all the "must haves" for that factory new bike you just rode home.  Bar risers, seat, exhaust, pegs, etc - YOU KNOW YOU DO!!!

So I choose to let some other dude pay the "stupid tax" on a new bike, and I'll just buy it from him a year or two later when it's dripping with all the cool aftermarket stuff you can't do without.  And I'll pay him cash rather than letting some bank nail me with interest just so I can make payments.  Just my $.02, but I'll be retiring @55 while all you other working saps are still punching the time clock in order to make payments on that new motorbike you bought 72 months ago... :lol:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jason R said:

I have done both.  My last new bike off the showroom was a 2014 BMW F800GSA.  My last purchase was private sale.  

Right now, I don't know if I will buy new again.  My used bike came all ready setup.  Even the ergos were perfect.  So far the only other bike I have gotten on new that was near perfect fit for me off the showroom floor is the Africa Twin Adventure Sport.  

A dealer will always have some markup on the bike.  A good dealer would have gone through the used bike and done a safety check, change the oil, fixed any issues before putting it out for sale.  They may even give you a 30 day warranty.  

I look at all options!  

Cool to hear.  you got lucky in finding a bike with all the ergos lined up for you.  Afica Twin ADV sport is a nice ride too! I rode it for a hot minute a couple of years ago at High Sierra's.  Felt really easy to control and plush.  Almost too easy like a scooter!  

Yeah I like smaller dealers per se that are a bit more intimate with their inventory.  Some of these big box dealerships are a bit too much (your talking to a bmw owner here! lol!)  I like private sales as well if the bike has been taken care of.  It really is mix bag out there.  I just saw a fella who had a KTM 990 for sale and he must have had at least 4 other adventure bikes in his garage.  He was  a retired Mercedes and Ferrari mechanic.  He stated that working on these bikes was like working on lawn mowers for him!   Anyhow I admired his small inventory and his passion for keeping these bike on the road.  Something has to be said about the whole wrenching piece. 

15 hours ago, greedyg said:

Buying new is dumb.  The moment you drive off the lot, your losing a huge chunk of the bikes value.  Then, soon as you get home, you get online and start shopping for all the "must haves" for that factory new bike you just rode home.  Bar risers, seat, exhaust, pegs, etc - YOU KNOW YOU DO!!!

So I choose to let some other dude pay the "stupid tax" on a new bike, and I'll just buy it from him a year or two later when it's dripping with all the cool aftermarket stuff you can't do without.  And I'll pay him cash rather than letting some bank nail me with interest just so I can make payments.  Just my $.02, but I'll be retiring @55 while all you other working saps are still punching the time clock in order to make payments on that new motorbike you bought 72 months ago... :lol:

Ha!  Well said @greedyg.  Yeah, I don't think most folks are fans of any tax or any payment plans!  Yeah the whole payment plan thing eats me inside just thinking about it.  However I completely understand some folks that need their ride and need to get it any way they can!  The dealers never really seem to have all the farkles that I'm looking for, but maybe that is just me being finicky on what is out there.  I probably hang out with too many moto heads with too many opinions on what is better and what should be changed.  

Well buying an Adventure bike or any bike IS and adventure and that is the fun part too about our community.  Expecially our passion for Big displacements. 

Edited by motochefarwi
spell check

• 1 month later...

Bought a '90 Yamaha XTZ750 Super Ténéré almost 4 years ago for about €1500, took it with me when I moved from the Neverlands to the US.

Only my wife's '08 FZ6 was new, all others were used and I've never paid over 4k for any of the used ones.

• Like 1