Schooled by the locals...

• Administrators

I will admit, I don't bomb through some things on my Triumph like I did my KTM dirt bike. There is still some element in my mind about how much money it's going to cost me to fix the bike if things go badly! Am I the only one? Am I just a big ol' wimp? Or just honest... ;)

• Administrators

Hey, but a good show, right? ;) But, the more relaxed pace is something I enjoy about ADV. I don't feel the need to be crankin' on it everywhere. When I rode dirt bikes, it was always about who could get through the fastest. Some fun times for sure, but I'm good with the new style. And, sometimes even a slower pace can get "exciting" on big bikes. No denying how comfy these machines are when you just want to relax and take the scenery in however.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I think there's still an element of that in ADV riding but maybe less so since many of us know we have to ride home at some point (rather than throwing the bike in the pickup or trailer).  The truth is a lot of us still think it's a race :)  A good ride leader will let the faster dogs run, but not so fast they lose the tail end, or split into A/B groups.  The consequences for the bigger bikes are larger due to weight, lack of suspension travel and distance it takes to stop.