On 4/30/2019 at 3:25 PM, Eric Hall said:

Another great rally it seems!

Got back today but not without a bit of my own bike drama. It seems I lost my clutch on the highway headed home. Frank was kind enough to let me ride his GSA and we put my bike on his trailer and dropped off his bike at his house then he took me home.

We had about 58 people this year and feedback has all been positive so far.

Brad May have cracked a few ribs and Wendi sprained her wrist but no major injuries thankfully.

Please post your photos/videos when you get a chance. I will do likewise.

Nich found this poor jackrabbit in his grill Friday morning.

IMG_7028.jpg

Ellyotte taking a wee

IMG_7044.jpg

@Eric Hall well that sucks regarding your clutch bud.  was it the Reckluse?  Hope ya get er fixed! 

We had another great adventure put on by XLADV @Eric Hall.  It was great to meet some new friends @Le Cler & Wayne (not sure if you have a handle on here).  We arrived early on Thursday hoping to get some scouting in before the majority of riders arriving on Friday.  Dark o'clock was the call of the day with Westen and I.  We had an audacious plan of strapping a 990 and 1290 in a uhaul.  Both of us in our glory trying to not wake up my neighbors at 3:30am and so proud we were able to fanagle the bikes in the uhaul and wedging microfiber cloths to stop the chauffing against the bikes and the side walls of the trailer.  Well we made it about 5 hours into our trip from the East bay and started our journey up the Tehachapi pass which is when the trouble started.  Did I mention that we were towing the KTM's with a Chevy Volt?  Let's say you never want to see the screen onthe volt say "propulsion reduced".  We pulled over and we could smell a slight burning. We decided to unload the 990 and I rode the rest of the way over the Tehachapi pass and into the Mojave.  Not a big deal at all and enjoyed the ride there.  It wasn't worth the risk of burning the motor out in the Volt.  

It took a while for Westen to show up to the Hole in the wall campground as his GPS took him for a ride and a wrong detour.  Trust me he is faster on his motorcycle!  Oh well, we set up camp and decided to go for a rip at dusk.  Well worth it after a very long day on the road.  The next day we had an awesome time with @Jason R & @greedy leading our group on Friday as he had some great tracks.  We ran into @Le Cler later that afternoon at the Cima Shell where we noticed he was riding another bike.   Turns out he had a very good off in a track and broke the steering lock wire which inturn disabled the bike useless.  His bike was being towed by Wayne on the 700 GS and Steve who wrestled Brad's bike to safety of the gas station.  Later Brad got the bike towed to LV BMW to diagnose. Sounds like he may have suffered some broken ribs, but may this guy could take the pain as he was still in great spirits when we left thim.  My ride this year was cut short due to an unexpected call from my family that my mother was admitted to emergency back in Canada.  As alsway family first so I left as soon as I could on Saturday back to the East Bay.   It was a whirlwind trip for me, but I had an amazing time again with the XLADV crew.  See you at the next one! 

IMG_2961.JPG

IMG_2936.JPG

IMG_9398.JPG

IMG_A06E12988321-1.jpeg

Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 1.55.00 PM.png

IMG_9377.JPG

IMG_9380.JPG

• Like 4

@motochefarwi, awesome-ness!  Really enjoyed the videos and hope to ride with you guys next year.  I did end up with 4 displaced rib fractures on the right side.  I was hoping to be able to make the High Sierra Ride as well, but I think it's going to be too close to the 1st GS Rally in Dolores, Colorado at the beginning of August.  Anyway, I'll be there next year to ride in the Mojave again.  Hope that some of you guys can make it out to Dolores Giants Rally.  Dennis Godwin will be there again as well, and a bunch of other really nice guys/gals and riders.

• Like 2

[mention=512]motochefarwi[/mention], awesome-ness!  Really enjoyed the videos and hope to ride with you guys next year.  I did end up with 4 displaced rib fractures on the right side.  I was hoping to be able to make the High Sierra Ride as well, but I think it's going to be too close to the 1st GS Rally in Dolores, Colorado at the beginning of August.  Anyway, I'll be there next year to ride in the Mojave again.  Hope that some of you guys can make it out to Dolores Giants Rally.  Dennis Godwin will be there again as well, and a bunch of other really nice guys/gals and riders.

Will probably not make that CO rally! Planning on completing the WABDR this year so it will soak up most of my vacation time! So cool to meet other Moto heads like us!
Braaaaap!
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I wanted to thank everyone again for the good times!  Also that we continued to set a good example such that the rangers enjoyed having us there.  It's key to being able to come back next year and like they said, we act as leaders when we set the tone for others with our riding.  Staying on trail, not riding too fast, etc...

One of the rangers rides an Africa Twin and apparently follows the forum and social media!

You may or may not have heard but I'm trying to put together a big bike route for LAB2V this year.  Day 1 is not an issue but day 2 getting to Vegas without being herded into a narrow corridor of the power line roads is what I'm after.  Jimmy Lewis has offered his help and suggested we ask the Mojave National Preserve for a permit to ride through the preserve that day.

I think we made the case that about 40 adventure bikes could easily traverse the preserve given we had about 60 there for 2.5 days with no drama.   So keep in mind that our good behavior can yield further benefits down the road!

• Like 3

Thanks for putting on such a great event too, Eric.  We rode quite a ways for the experience and I must say that I am excited to be returning next year.  I did want to add that being a sticker guy, an XLADV Mojave sticker would be really cool.  That's just my opinion though.  All in all, I had a really great time and made new friends.

I too would like to give thanks to everyone who put up with my whining while injured.  Thanks to John H., for allowing me to sleep in his camper, and thanks to @advmotogirl for not telling me to get out of the camper whenever I whimpered while attempting to turn over :)  You both rock!  Thanks to everyone else who attempted to get my bike running; however, it was probably best that it didn't because as my friend, Wayne said, I would have attempted to keep riding.  Thanks.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...