• Administrators

Another great rally it seems!

Got back today but not without a bit of my own bike drama. It seems I lost my clutch on the highway headed home. Frank was kind enough to let me ride his GSA and we put my bike on his trailer and dropped off his bike at his house then he took me home.

We had about 58 people this year and feedback has all been positive so far.

Brad May have cracked a few ribs and Wendi sprained her wrist but no major injuries thankfully.

Please post your photos/videos when you get a chance. I will do likewise.

Nich found this poor jackrabbit in his grill Friday morning.

IMG_7028.jpg

Ellyotte taking a wee

IMG_7044.jpg

• Like 3

A quick upload of the photos I have. Most are not from riding or action shots as I was using every bit of my mediocre skill set to stay on the bike while in the loose stuff.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP0KUWcBmqZKjH3MhGsMsTlzA9S0O8sKN9PiaXj7g3MGjIyhqhnwBQRIn7816G_qg?key=LThNMmFlUmtNd3JRaUdSZklBSGhqZ1VrLUI1OTNR

If anyone hiked the Hole in the Wall across from the campsite, this was what you would have seen:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO9Yk5r6zFTTi_ZFYXy4KRs66JzxoPTz1oWqcBWz55sGfhbQBI6FG5MGtlHJtsMyg?key=RGFsNDk5VnIyd0FaQVpVNnhKYWNyTUYzSjBmOWl3

Edited by WarpedRotor
  • Like 2

Although I rode all the way from Colorado and only spent one day's ride on the Preserve with the XLADV Mojave Group, I believe that the ride was worth it.  I ended up injured on day 1 and had to sit it out.  Still got to hang out with some great guys and gals and made some new friends.  Will be making the trip again next year too.  Thanks Eric.

Brad Clere

@madhatter_moto

20190503_055837.jpg

20190503_055853.jpg

20190503_055927.jpg

20190503_055938.jpg

20190503_060034.jpg

20190503_060236.jpg

20190503_060806.jpg

20190503_064314.jpg

20190503_103608.jpg

20190503_103619.jpg

20190503_103622.jpg

20190503_105549.jpg

20190503_105601.jpg

20190503_163834.jpg

20190503_163846.jpg

20190504_062945.jpg

20190504_063500.jpg

20190504_063559.jpg

20190505_054605.jpg

20190505_054841.jpg

20190505_071152.jpg

• Like 5

• Administrators

I got some great feedback on the event today.  I think I need to delegate a bit more and recruit some ride leader volunteers to do a better job of giving newer riders more of a sense that they know where to go and what to do.

I typically will do a rider meeting in the morning and get a show of hands for who wants to ride which particular level of difficulty but I think with breakfast I found not everyone was there.  Some were eating and some were getting ready/

I made mention of bringing water, tools, etc... but should have voiced that again each morning before we started.

It's important that we provide leadership to those who are newer to riding and don't automatically know what to expect.  I promise to spend more time on that at our future events.

Please let me know of any more feedback as it's important that we make these events work for everyone.

• Like 1

It was a great event, and I had a lot of fun. I was with a great group of riders and we had a blast.

It would be great to add quick "seminars" on different topics, given the fact that there are so many experienced riders/campers/travelers/mechanics in the XLADV group. I know most of that information is already available in the forum, but firsthand, in person, is always better.

Me? I would love to learn more about how to use my damn GPS, for example.

Somebody could help riders dealing with sand, or other riding techniques, show how to change a tire, or perform basic maintenance.

Maybe a general introduction to better understand what camping gear to buy according to the expected temperature and weather conditions.

Finally, maybe some "featured speakers" after dinner, holding a beer around campfire.

I know there is not a lot of downtime and we are all there to ride, but maybe with a specific schedule most people would work around it and make sure they are there when they need to.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Those are good suggestions but it would have to be all volunteer as this is not my day job and much of what you describe is a RawHyde event and costs 3 times as much.  Speakers don't come free.  AltRider's Taste of Dakar didn't happen this year due to "time and money" concerns.

I have to keep it simple, unfortunately.

• Like 1

Eric, 

What about a slide show on Friday night promoting the actual beneficiary of the event?  There were a lot of trailers and big campers who might actually volunteer to bring a big screen (maybe) to play from either a laptop or just a jump drive.  I agree that most of the other stuff could be delegated/promoted onto volunteers.  I really don't think volunteers would be a problem because so many like what you're doing here.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I like that idea a lot and will do that for High Sierra. I had considered that for Mojave but was concerned about power but I think an RV could handle a 20 min slideshow.

The thing about being a community is we learn from each other. That’s how I learned when I started. As much as I dislike what AOLrider has become they still have a solid community (for the most part).

I saw a lot of that this past weekend too in the help we gave injured riders, riders with flats and help in the sand. That guy Ellyotte did a ton to help other riders and I almost felt bad that he didn’t really get to “get his ride on” which is why I took him back with me from lunch Saturday.

A lot of this is self-taught as well. I taught myself how to use gps just by reading the directions and reading a few sites and watching YouTube videos. Bill Dragoo’s tire changing video helped me too. And while I learned a lot riding with others, I learned even more when I got training at Jimmy Lewis.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Eric Hall said:

A lot of this is self-taught as well. I taught myself how to use gps just by reading the directions and reading a few sites and watching YouTube videos. Bill Dragoo’s tire changing video helped me too. And while I learned a lot riding with others, I learned even more when I got training at Jimmy Lewis.

Agreed, Eric.  Guys, there are a ton of videos on YouTube and other venues to learn from, but hands-on does provide a little more insight since you can't actually converse on YT.  Any interested parties should check out Bret Tkac's videos for most of the stuff that's been discussed here.  Sidenote: Here's his deep sand video: 

(I am not paid by Bret but have attended his PSSOR course and he's absolutely solid) and whereas there are other schools of study, these are foundations to build upon.  Remember that.  No one has THE right way because there are always way too many variables involved (weight of the bike, rider, traction, etc) so we all build upon the principles and learn from each other, and of course, our own mistakes.  Tire pressure is another topic, but YOU are learning what works best for YOU in various environments (rocky, sand, etc.) so asking what someone else is running (PSI, bars, etc.) is a starter, and not necessarily the best.

• Like 1

FYI: So another person is in LV attempting to get some help with the BMW.  I told them about Euro-Cycles where I had my bike towed.  They said that the new manager there had already told her once to "not bring your outfit here" and to go elsewhere.  Although the service manager, Tony, was very helpful to me in loading my bike and driving me to a hotel the night before, they had the bike for over an hour and couldn't find the problem.  That's why I ended up hauling it home.  BMW of Denver had the problem figured out and repaired in less than 2 hours costing $100 more than the 1-hour "diagnostics" that Euro-Cycles charged me.  So word for the wise, be careful there.  I don't recall seeing any KTMs there either.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 10:09 AM, Le Cler said:

FYI: So another person is in LV attempting to get some help with the BMW.  I told them about Euro-Cycles where I had my bike towed.  They said that the new manager there had already told her once to "not bring your outfit here" and to go elsewhere.  Although the service manager, Tony, was very helpful to me in loading my bike and driving me to a hotel the night before, they had the bike for over an hour and couldn't find the problem.  That's why I ended up hauling it home.  BMW of Denver had the problem figured out and repaired in less than 2 hours costing $100 more than the 1-hour "diagnostics" that Euro-Cycles charged me.  So word for the wise, be careful there.  I don't recall seeing any KTMs there either.

What was the issue?