8th Annual High Sierra Rally

• Administrators

Event registration link is live!  Same price as last year, just adding in a gratuity for the caterer (15%) so we don't have to pass the hat again and stiff her.

Sponsors:

Title Sponsor: GIVI USA

Motoz Tires

Klim

Sena

Marlondo Leather

Kate's Real Food

DoubleTake Mirrors

Bill Mayer Saddles

Maxima Racing Oils USA

BMW MOA

Irv Seaver BMW

Motolombia

Happy Hour Wine Co

June Lake Brewing

BackCountry Discovery Routes

Attendees:

Remy Frank

Breny Frank

[mention=689]greedyg[/mention]

Shane Bearly

[mention=320]WarpedRotor[/mention]

Ken Reed

Lu Rosa

Kevin Carpenter

Nick Jones

Ellen Jones

Luc Popescu

Casian Alexandru

Radu Sorescu

Cosmin Ghioc

Jason Madsen

Trevor Notch

Norm Mackay

Brian Martin

Kevin Jones

[mention=535]renaissancerider[/mention]

Olivier Cornet

[mention=2640]William Howard[/mention]

John Howard

Edward Bell

Erin Darling

Deena Mastracci

Steven Olsen

Luke McKenzie

[mention=261]Jason R[/mention]

Robert Smith

Michael Johnson

David Barnes

[mention=1676]patbianchi[/mention]

Eric Whitney

Steven DuFloth

[mention=512]motochefarwi[/mention]

Mrs. motochefarwi

@Grabowski

Brian Cornelius

Anthony Villarreal

Randy Commans

Paul DuFloth

Shiva Sharifi

Rene Perez

Trissa Ayala

@Rogers

Gary Graham

Sean Luckett

George Kreider

David Diaz

@Stan Iordanov

William Zochodne

Gina DePasquale

Scott Purkerson

Angelo Sanchez

Gideon Kaplan

Gideon Kaplan guest

Jill Moore

Martin Shirley

Michael "Meaux" Oates

Kep Wadiak

David Mischel

Raphael Mischel

Trevor Morton

Michael St. John

Peter Neuper

Gregory Frates

Sandro Marino

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

For some reason every year is a challenge with reservations but I just confirmed our usual 16 sites in the center horseshoe area: 211,212,213,78,80,82,84,86,88,90,92,94.

IMG_7615.jpg

This mean with 80 people we need to fit 5 per site. This is usually not an issue but just know that if you pay to register that you’re not getting a site all to yourself.

RV’s are welcome but try to keep them in spots 211,212,213 parked in such a way as to let another pull beside you. Site 82 is pretty deep too for RV’s or longer trailers. There are no electrical or water hookups there.

Daytime temps are usually in the high 80's or low 90's.  Around 10 pm it's in the low 50's and because it's in a low spot, right before the sun comes up it usually gets below freezing!  One year it was 18!  But once the sun comes up it warms up pretty quickly.  Do NOT bring a summer or 40 degree bag because you WILL freeze.  You WILL need some type of insulating sleeping pad.

Hot showers are available for a $2 token at the general store. Just make sure you buy a token before they close (6 pm). I usually get extra so see me if you need one after 6.

Be sure you get a wrist band as this is your ticket to breakfast and dinner.

Bathrooms and portables are available.

If you can bring any firewood, please do!! We need volunteers for that. There are fire rings in the sites and as long as it isn’t dry they usually let us have a fire.

Speed limit in camp is 5 mph. No wheelies or tire spinning please. Do not ride up the tall hill next to camp.

There are hot springs nearby that are really nice to soak in usually at night or early morning. Fri/sat night they are usually full. Clothing optional.

36354427_10160628488830215_8877488381953572864_n.jpg

Check the gps file when posted for gas stations. Nearest restaurants are Tom’s Place and Mammoth Lakes. There’s a moto shop in Mammoth Lakes and Bishop.

• Like 1

• Administrators

People seem to be figuring out on their own more and more that Facebook probably isn't the best place to hang out anymore.  Whether it's been the privacy scandals, caustic political talk or the de-platforming of people and pages for pc "wrongthink" violations.  Or the endless repetitive questions that are asked and answered, re-asked and re-answered daily.  It's a mile wide and an inch deep where whatever you post is essentially gone the next day, never to be seen again.  I think it has its purpose but if I truly felt it was the best place for talking about adventure motorcycles or building a true sense of community then I would have never set out to create this forum in the first place; I would have just put up a Facebook page.

I like creating a community because it enriches our collective experience.  I like knowing each person, their story, where the come from, where they've ridden, etc...  Otherwise what's the point really?  I can ride on my own with my own friends and don't "need" a larger community but I *want* one.  I like it.  I want more.

It is in that spirit that I think many of you feel the same way and want to build something that is more than just a fun day of riding.

For this year's High Sierra I'd really like to get some volunteers to lead rides.  It's never been an issue before; we just kind of do it on the spot with a show of hands of who wants to ride easy, intermediate or hard.  But a rider commented at Mojave they thought we were "elitist" and some apparently were looking for a bit more hand-holding.

Who knows if they were just being a "snowflake" or what but my goal is that people would come and feel a part of the group and be able to fit in wherever.  I won't shame anyone for not volunteering as I totally get it... like at Taste of Dakar I'd be damned if I'm paying close to $400 to ride one day and herd a bunch of cats all day. I paid my money and I want to get my ride on.  

This year I realize that I've had enough of my own riding experiences and want to lead a noob/beginner group on Saturday.  I can still get my ride on Friday and do whatever advanced stuff I want but Saturday will be easy cruising with probably a small group to something like Bodie.

If you'd like to volunteer then please do so here.  If you want to ride your own ride then I totally get it.  No judgement.  If you want to lead a ride then you determine what the criteria are in terms of ability and head count.  You make the call.  For example, I will lead an advanced ride Friday with no more than 6 riders.  

• Like 1

I can lead a ride to Starbucks in Mammoth.

We might hit Laurel lakes, Coyote flats and the pinnacles on the way, but we will get you to your Iced, Half Caff, Ristretto, Venti, 4 pump, Sugar Free, Cinnamon, Dolce, Soy Skinny Latte before dark. 

Edited by greedyg
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, greedyg said:

I can lead a ride to Starbucks in Mammoth.

We might hit Laurel lakes, Coyote flats and the pinnacles on the way, but we will get you to your Iced, Half Caff, Ristretto, Venti, 4 pump, Sugar Free, Cinnamon, Dolce, Soy Skinny Latte before dark. 

Is that gluten free?  

G'day everyone! I'm new to the forum. First post. I signed up to the event a month or two ago and can't wait to go ride some trails! I'm on a 1290SAR. Found out abou thte ride from a fella on a street ride - Norm. Great bloke and he said the forum is a good community hub. Looking forward to hearing more and riding even more!

Cheers,

Luke

• Like 3

Cheers! Looking forward to it. I definitely will come find you — you might have to wipe some drool off your 950 once I’m done ogling at it!!!! What a beast!

31 minutes ago, greedyg said:

Great to have you Luke!  High Sierra has every kind of riding you could want.  Hook up with a group in camp that suits your riding style and ability, then go enjoy yourself.  Look for me in camp and we'll get you sorted  - Greg

B9488BE6-9B2C-4287-8DE9-634A8A9B22B6.thumb.jpeg.98e3720518310401ed4844736ad79d00.jpeg