8th Annual High Sierra Rally

• Administrators

Give some thought to whether or not you'd like to see this event grow next year.  I'm confident we can double in size but not sure if we want to.  With size comes more companies interested in sponsoring it which means more swag.  GS Giants had something like 280 riders recently in Dolores, CO.  That's a whole other operation though with many moving parts, volunteers, etc...  I've heard nothing but good things about the rally so far though.

I think there are benefits to being small too and that's mainly you tend to interact more with other riders.

There's also other elements we can incorporate such as:  skills course, scavenger type hunt with points for hitting various waypoints, music, demo's/classes, off road training, etc...  Feel free to contribute any ideas.

Also curious about timing for re-scheduling our Death Valley Ken Mooty ride.  The ADV Rally moved theirs from Sept to Nov and messed up our date so I may move it to Feb.

22 minutes ago, Eric Hall said:

Give some thought to whether or not you'd like to see this event grow next year.  I'm confident we can double in size but not sure if we want to.  With size comes more companies interested in sponsoring it which means more swag.  GS Giants had something like 280 riders recently in Dolores, CO.  That's a whole other operation though with many moving parts, volunteers, etc...  I've heard nothing but good things about the rally so far though.

I think there are benefits to being small too and that's mainly you tend to interact more with other riders.

There's also other elements we can incorporate such as:  skills course, scavenger type hunt with points for hitting various waypoints, music, demo's/classes, off road training, etc...  Feel free to contribute any ideas.

Also curious about timing for re-scheduling our Death Valley Ken Mooty ride.  The ADV Rally moved theirs from Sept to Nov and messed up our date so I may move it to Feb.

The bigger events are not charity events are they? 

• Like 2

I've suggested the skills trials, scavenger hunt / waypoint, team points format a few times and still think it's a great idea.  I like the size of this event, it's much more intimate than larger rallies.  However I think it depends on what we're trying to accomplish.  High Sierra has always been a charity event to benefit a good cause, could we provide more of a benefit to those causes with a greater number of paying riders? Likely, but I'm sure there is a point of diminishing returns where the cost of executing a larger event out weighs the gain to the benefactor.  Where that point is, I don't know.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I spoke with Dimitrios who organized the recent GS Giants Rally in Dolores, CO and learned a lot more.

They had 297 riders! They also had 100 volunteers! They did have a skills course built by Dennis Godwin. Not sure Browns would allow us to do that but I can ask.

The vendors they got simply paid admission and provided about $200 in swag which is why they had so many of them. ADV Rally charges vendors like $10/rider so wonder if they left money on the table.

They also had a medic and support truck which is nice.

I will continue to think about it. I will stick to my objectives of providing an event with good riding, good food, good friends and making a difference in the world. We will see if a larger event can still accomplish that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Eric, I won't be able to show up until early Friday morning. I'll drive my sprinter up and try to get there in time for breakfast. Just giving you a heads up. Should I book a spot for the van with the campground? Thanks and looking forward to it! Also, I'd be happy to lead a ride, see y'all this weekend!
Kevin J

• Administrators
Eric, I won't be able to show up until early Friday morning. I'll drive my sprinter up and try to get there in time for breakfast. Just giving you a heads up. Should I book a spot for the van with the campground? Thanks and looking forward to it! Also, I'd be happy to lead a ride, see y'all this weekend!
Kevin J

Breakfast is only served Sat and Sunday. You’re already booked.

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Martin Shirley said:

Eric, my big bike is at the dealership for parts, so I'll be transporting a KLX250 up on my suv on Thursday. Do I need to book a parking spot for the car?

Nothing needs to be booked.  You're already booked if you're registered

39 minutes ago, greedyg said:

Who has ridden track #1, the back road to Bodie?  That’s the only place I haven’t been on this map

Rode it two years ago with Eric, Jonathon, Dennis, Jason and a few others.  mostly uneventful except for a couple of steep, rocky climbs/descents.  If I recall we also had to double back at one point because of a gate.  

41 minutes ago, renaissancerider said:

Rode it two years ago with Eric, Jonathon, Dennis, Jason and a few others.  mostly uneventful except for a couple of steep, rocky climbs/descents.  If I recall we also had to double back at one point because of a gate.  

I’m having a little trouble accessing that file and plugging it into my phone and rever app, and I have a brand new garmin In reach mini. Wondering if there’ll be someone who could either help me on Thursday, or send it to my device??? I’m pretty green on GPS track inputs, but I’ve done it before through Rever, I just canr get it working now!

cheers all!! Can’t wait!

3 hours ago, greedyg said:

Who has ridden track #1, the back road to Bodie?  That’s the only place I haven’t been on this map

It’s alright. Nothing too special about it. We did have to backtrack, but I think that’s because we took a wrong turn down a mining road. There was one pretty steep section with lots of boulders and shale. I was certainly glad I was on that KTM 500 6-Days. On another trip, Dennis and I came in through the north end, from Nevada side and that route was pretty cool. Takes you through old mines. 

On 8/23/2019 at 10:03 AM, greedyg said:

I've suggested the skills trials, scavenger hunt / waypoint, team points format a few times and still think it's a great idea.  I like the size of this event, it's much more intimate than larger rallies.  However I think it depends on what we're trying to accomplish.  High Sierra has always been a charity event to benefit a good cause, could we provide more of a benefit to those causes with a greater number of paying riders? Likely, but I'm sure there is a point of diminishing returns where the cost of executing a larger event out weighs the gain to the benefactor.  Where that point is, I don't know.

I agree. A scavenger hunt / waypoint challenge would be absolutely awesome! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lukeymckenzie said:

I’m having a little trouble accessing that file and plugging it into my phone and rever app, and I have a brand new garmin In reach mini. Wondering if there’ll be someone who could either help me on Thursday, or send it to my device??? I’m pretty green on GPS track inputs, but I’ve done it before through Rever, I just canr get it working now!

cheers all!! Can’t wait!

With Garmin devices I always go through Basecamp on my computer.  Then I just upload the gpx to the device and good to go.  When i go to my phone I always have to search the internet for instructions — often it involves a saving to to or sending to the app. (I-phone)