KTM 1190 Frames Cracking

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Jason R said:

Do we have any way to contact KTM USA other than Twitter?  

They have an 800 number staffed by people in Ohio somewhere.  

Here it is:

KTM North America Inc.
East
1119 Milan Avenue
Amherst, Ohio 44001
Customer Service Phone: 1-855-215-6360

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Apparently KTM cautions against welding their frames:

"We do not allow the frames to be welded for any reason as it can affect the structural integrity of the frame any alterations would invalidate any warranty or goodwill and the bike would no longer be as homologated for road use."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is shocking, a basic materials & design flaw on a very expensive machine that by its name/classification is going to be used hard. So if you are not too weld the frame then it means replacement ? A very expensive repair. It should be KTM’s responsibility to do that. You have two riders already, you need to gather as many riders as possible and approach KTM as a group and if no action then a class action case. The publicity spread as much as possible will hopefully open KTM to negotiation.                                                              

Great article Eric, should maybe put on ADV, and/all KTM, off-road  forums that you can find to gather names. If this is a trend then maybe a recall.

Edited by pceire32
  • Like 2

• Administrators

I recall the BMW GS had frame problems in the '13 and first half of '14 models and they eventually fixed it but I honestly don't know if this affected all 1190's or just a particular year.  Google it and you'll find a few threads on it at AOLrider and elsewhere (WildDog.za too) so it is a thing.  I'm just surprised to see it happen to Jason and Dan at nearly the same time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
My 1190 is at a KTM dealer for inspection.  Gieco insurance wants to replace my frame.  They think its cheaper than totaling the bike.   I will update when the dealer gets done with their inspection.  
progress is good, hopeful that it gets resolved properly soon

I think the damage to @Jason R bike was caused by the rear shock bolt bending. If you look closely at the mounting area of the upper part of the rear shock you can see the frame is curved. Inside the curved center brace SHOULD BE a solid straight upper shock bolt. Well this bolt is bent and the frame curved to match the shitty cheap bolt. The twisting action of the frame caused it to fail.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this helps anyone else in this jam.  

My insurance company paid out more than I paid for my KTM.  Like a 100 dollars more.  Gieco does not have a database on KTM.  So they needed to shop out fair market value.  Make sure you tell the adjuster of ever modification, I believed it helped with mine and they took it in consideration.  At first estimate, Gieco wanted to fix the bike.  After I took it to a KTM dealer, they found an additional 1500 in damages to push the repair over the threshold.  

I was tore between fixing and total loss.  On one hand if it was repaired I was going to get some better stuff like a Woodys front wheel, possibly a 2016 year frame, new seat, and have money for new tires and such.  On the other hand I wondered if I would just have more trouble and wind up breaking the bike again, or have trouble selling it.  

I had a love hate with that bike.  Loved riding it, but its left me broken twice now.  So ultimately its time for it to retire.  I hope Gieco doesn't lose the key...i still have the orange one.  

I got KTM to agree to a free frame and sub-frame, but labor and additional parts would be on me.

Initially I thought I would go ahead and get it swapped. The dealer quoted me $1500 for the frame swap, so I figured I could get it done for $2000 and have my bike back.

I have a ton of aftermarket parts on it and hate parting stuff out, dealing w/ the shipping and getting nickle and dimed.

Now I'm having second thoughts and think I'm better off just writing the bike off with the insurance. It is a 2014 w/ 25,000miles on it. and I'd have to spend at least an other grand+ to get a 1290/1090 shock and have it re-valved and re-sprung.

So now my options are:

1- Get a 1290 and swap all my goodies over to it.

2- Get a 790R if I can find one (I already have a well set up 701, so now these two bikes are getting kind of close in usage range)and resell all the 1190 farkles.

Any suggestions?