OneMonth.OneRide

Need help for Baja trip planning

Hello guys, 

I hope I posted the thread in the correct section, apologize me if not. We are travelling to Baja norte for 3 days at the end of the month. We are heading to San Felipe area and would like to cross the border in Mexicali. I would like to know if you guys have some tips for planning our trip. Especially regarding the documents that we need, like insurance, where to get it ? And any other information that you seems relevant and I could miss. 

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I usually get insurance online with Lewis & Lewis and cross at Tecate.  There's a toll road you can take from there east to Mexicali or take dirt via Compadre Trail south to Ojos Negros then the highway to San Felipe.  I usually stay at Kiki's there and my favorite place to eat is anywhere on the Malecon like shrimp, fish, lobster.

You're "supposed" to stop at the aduana at the border and get a tourist visa but I've been there 30+ times and never been asked for it.  It's cheap and a 15 min stop.

• Like 1

For insurance in Baja I've been using https://www.bajabound.com for many years.

One thing to remember: the two times (among many checkpoints and random inspections all over Baja from TJ to Cabo) that the cops really wanted to see my documents (once was entering Mexico at the Tecate border) they asked for the ORIGINAL of the title. Not a copy (I had both).

The only time I stopped and got the Mexican tourist visa was when my Italian friends were with me last December and they needed a proof of exit from the US, i.e. a stamp on their passport. At that point, of course, they made us pay for the visas as well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OneMonth.OneRide said:

Hi Eric, thank you for your help ! How long is the ride from Tecate to Ojos Negros by the trail approximately ? Is it sandy :) ? Thanks

It really depends on your riding ability.  It takes me maybe an hour to 90 minutes to ride it and there are a few portions that can be sandy but that depends on your sand riding ability and the conditions change depending on rain.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, piambro said:

For insurance in Baja I've been using https://www.bajabound.com for many years.

One thing to remember: the two times (among many checkpoints and random inspections all over Baja from TJ to Cabo) that the cops really wanted to see my documents (once was entering Mexico at the Tecate border) they asked for the ORIGINAL of the title. Not a copy (I had both).

The only time I stopped and got the Mexican tourist visa was when my Italian friends were with me last December and they needed a proof of exit from the US, i.e. a stamp on their passport. At that point, of course, they made us pay for the visas as well. 

Thank Piambro ! 

I'll check this insurance also, and be sure to have all originals with me. 

Bests

2 hours ago, Eric Hall said:

It really depends on your riding ability.  It takes me maybe an hour to 90 minutes to ride it and there are a few portions that can be sandy but that depends on your sand riding ability and the conditions change depending on rain.

Ok I'm a perfect noob, first time ended on the ground several times :) I still need to practice, but with Mathilde as pillion and the bike fully load with camping gear I'm not sure that the best way to learn.. 

• Like 1