Need help for Baja trip planning

Hello guys, 

I hope I posted the thread in the correct section, apologize me if not. We are travelling to Baja norte for 3 days at the end of the month. We are heading to San Felipe area and would like to cross the border in Mexicali. I would like to know if you guys have some tips for planning our trip. Especially regarding the documents that we need, like insurance, where to get it ? And any other information that you seems relevant and I could miss. 

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I usually get insurance online with Lewis & Lewis and cross at Tecate.  There's a toll road you can take from there east to Mexicali or take dirt via Compadre Trail south to Ojos Negros then the highway to San Felipe.  I usually stay at Kiki's there and my favorite place to eat is anywhere on the Malecon like shrimp, fish, lobster.

You're "supposed" to stop at the aduana at the border and get a tourist visa but I've been there 30+ times and never been asked for it.  It's cheap and a 15 min stop.

• Like 1

For insurance in Baja I've been using https://www.bajabound.com for many years.

One thing to remember: the two times (among many checkpoints and random inspections all over Baja from TJ to Cabo) that the cops really wanted to see my documents (once was entering Mexico at the Tecate border) they asked for the ORIGINAL of the title. Not a copy (I had both).

The only time I stopped and got the Mexican tourist visa was when my Italian friends were with me last December and they needed a proof of exit from the US, i.e. a stamp on their passport. At that point, of course, they made us pay for the visas as well. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
11 hours ago, OneMonth.OneRide said:

Hi Eric, thank you for your help ! How long is the ride from Tecate to Ojos Negros by the trail approximately ? Is it sandy :) ? Thanks

It really depends on your riding ability.  It takes me maybe an hour to 90 minutes to ride it and there are a few portions that can be sandy but that depends on your sand riding ability and the conditions change depending on rain.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, piambro said:

For insurance in Baja I've been using https://www.bajabound.com for many years.

One thing to remember: the two times (among many checkpoints and random inspections all over Baja from TJ to Cabo) that the cops really wanted to see my documents (once was entering Mexico at the Tecate border) they asked for the ORIGINAL of the title. Not a copy (I had both).

The only time I stopped and got the Mexican tourist visa was when my Italian friends were with me last December and they needed a proof of exit from the US, i.e. a stamp on their passport. At that point, of course, they made us pay for the visas as well. 

Thank Piambro ! 

I'll check this insurance also, and be sure to have all originals with me. 

Bests

2 hours ago, Eric Hall said:

It really depends on your riding ability.  It takes me maybe an hour to 90 minutes to ride it and there are a few portions that can be sandy but that depends on your sand riding ability and the conditions change depending on rain.

Ok I'm a perfect noob, first time ended on the ground several times :) I still need to practice, but with Mathilde as pillion and the bike fully load with camping gear I'm not sure that the best way to learn.. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 5/7/2019 at 4:24 AM, OneMonth.OneRide said:

Hello guys, 

I hope I posted the thread in the correct section, apologize me if not. We are travelling to Baja norte for 3 days at the end of the month. We are heading to San Felipe area and would like to cross the border in Mexicali. I would like to know if you guys have some tips for planning our trip. Especially regarding the documents that we need, like insurance, where to get it ? And any other information that you seems relevant and I could miss. 

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like you have an exciting trip planned to Baja Norte, with a visit to the San Felipe area and a border crossing in Mexicali. When planning a trip to Mexico, it’s important to make sure you have all the necessary documents and insurance in place.

For entry into Mexico, you will need a valid passport. If you’re traveling by land, you may also need to obtain a tourist card (FMM) at the border, which allows you to stay in Mexico for up to 180 days as a tourist. You can obtain the FMM at the border or online before your trip.

In terms of insurance, it’s a good idea to purchase travel insurance that covers medical expenses, trip cancellation, and other potential issues. You can purchase travel insurance from a variety of providers, either online or through a travel agent. It’s also important to check with your car insurance provider to see if your policy covers driving in Mexico. If not, you may need to purchase additional insurance for your vehicle.

In addition to these documents and insurance, it’s also a good idea to familiarize yourself with the local customs and regulations, such as traffic laws and currency exchange rates. You might also want to research the areas you’ll be visiting and make any necessary reservations or bookings in advance.

I hope this information helps you plan your trip to Baja Norte and have a safe and enjoyable journey!

Edited by perujungletrips

• Administrators

It sounds like you have an exciting trip planned to Baja Norte, with a visit to the San Felipe area and a border crossing in Mexicali. When planning a trip to Mexico, it’s important to make sure you have all the necessary documents and insurance in place.

For entry into Mexico, you will need a valid passport. If you’re traveling by land, you may also need to obtain a tourist card (FMM) at the border, which allows you to stay in Mexico for up to 180 days as a tourist. You can obtain the FMM at the border or online before your trip.

In terms of insurance, it’s a good idea to purchase travel insurance that covers medical expenses, trip cancellation, and other potential issues. You can purchase travel insurance from a variety of providers, either online or through a travel agent. It’s also important to check with your car insurance provider to see if your policy covers driving in Mexico. If not, you may need to purchase additional insurance for your vehicle.

In addition to these documents and insurance, it’s also a good idea to familiarize yourself with the local customs and regulations, such as traffic laws and currency exchange rates. You might also want to research the areas you’ll be visiting and make any necessary reservations or bookings in advance.

I hope this information helps you plan your trip to Baja Norte and have a safe and enjoyable journey!

I get my insurance with either Baja Bound or Lewis & Lewis. Get it online then print it out. You’re supposed to get a tourist visa at the aduana but I never do for Baja Norte. I’ve never been asked for it.

San Flippy I usually stay at Kiki’s. They have rooms or you can camp too. From there is great beach riding south for like 30 miles but watch the tides. A good days ride south is Gonzaga. Many stay at Alfonso’s but you need to reserve in advance and they’re not always that trustworthy in my experience. Read my review on Google maps.

After that I usually go a bit further south then north on the main Hwy to Cataviña. Nice hotel there. Then El Rosario (cactus inn). Then like Erendira (coyote cal’s)

Message me your email and I can send you tracks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Hello all, I'm planning a solo North Baja ride on a loaded Husky Norden 901 and curious on route planning that includes easier dirt and some pavement.  Appreciate route suggestions or anyone willing to share your tracks.  I'm currently considering GPSKevin's route or the Baja Divide bikepacking route.  Prefer to avoid long deep sand sections or steep big rock / big rut sections like those near Mikes.  Thanks!

• Like 1

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Troy Thibodeaux said:

Hello all, I'm planning a solo North Baja ride on a loaded Husky Norden 901 and curious on route planning that includes easier dirt and some pavement.  Appreciate route suggestions or anyone willing to share your tracks.  I'm currently considering GPSKevin's route or the Baja Divide bikepacking route.  Prefer to avoid long deep sand sections or steep big rock / big rut sections like those near Mikes.  Thanks!

You can use these if you like.  My old loop was generally:

• Cross at Tecate and take Compadre trail south to hwy 3 and get lunch in Valle de Trinidad.  You can stay at Mikes or I prefer to continue onto San Felipe
  • The dirt road across the dry lake bed is cool, just watch your speed and any ruts.  
  • The transition from the dry lake bed to the road west to San Felipe can be tricky.  There's a graded easy way through now or there's the old race route through deep san that you don't want.  they're very close to eachother.
  • South from San Felipe it's all highway to Gonzaga Bay but I like to take a dirt road or two to the beach and do some beach riding.
  • Gonzaga to Cataviña is all pavement.  
  • Cataviña to El Rosario is a long day of good dirt loop out to the coast and back.
  • Just north of El Rosario is La Lobera which is a cool sunken sea cave you can look down on sea lions.
  • The rest is generally cool coast trails back north to the border