MV Augusta Campaign: Can Sex Still Work to Sell Bikes?

• Administrators

This campaign has generated a lot of controversy.

Sex has (and will continue to be) been used to sell just about everything but particularly so for motorcycles and everything else that skews mostly male.  In advertising research they call it "tickling the lizard brain" or using visual cues that trigger more base and evolutionary responses.  I attended a seminar in college on the use of sex in selling alcohol and cigarettes and learned much from that.

I think it's clear times have changed given the amount of negative comments this campaign has received.  Yet look at how many likes it has still?  Does sex still work or not?

Look at what brands like Gillette and Chips Ahoy have done recently featuring transsexuals and shaming of "toxic masculinity."  Or what Nike did featuring Colin Kaepernick.  Clearly these companies are looking to be edgy and generate buzz whether positive or negative.  Is that what MV Augusta is doing, just in a more conventional way?

I posted a photo about two years ago of some Baja Rally trophy girls on our Instagram feed and not only did it get below average engagement, I actually offended at least one female rider.  I think I did one other photo that pushed the envelope on what was "sexy" vs just a female rider posing on her bike.  At least for adventure motorcycling I can say that I don't think the over the top sexy photos work at all.  But that's not to say there are feeds with huge followings who do specialize in that kind of thing.

Are those who complain to be taken seriously or do you think they're being pearl-clutching scolds who are simply virtue-signaling?  I thought it would make for interesting discussion.  I only ask that you remain civil, respect others' opinions and stay out of politics.

• Administrators

As I dig deeper I have found that some folks have gone after a guy associated with MV Augusta but who claims to not be involved in that particular campaign.

You can read his post and I left two of my own comments.

Basically I feel this is a part of “toxic social media” where a digital mob is sicced in a person who may not even shave anything to do with it. Give your opinion but put down the torches and pitchforks people. But that’s just my opinion.