What did YOU do on your bike today?

• Administrators

Yeah you and I have the same bike and that front isn't fun at all.  Crash bars are tough for me to get back on and you have to take off the alternator cover to have enough room to lower the telelever low enough to get the shock out.  Then you have to find a way to hold the shock to keep it from twisting when you tighten it on the top.  And that involves taking the top panels off.  Lots of labor.

Did you get those Tractive shocks from them?  I hear they are great.  I have TFX, which are a similar spec.

Yeah the crash bars were a big pain, the original owner laid it down and grinded the bars a little i think it tweaked them a little. Is there a washer on the right side along with the left side?

i couldnt't get the tank all the way off either so i could disconnect the wires easy. the lower ESA wire ended up getting cut in half so i could remove from the bike. i got it disconnected  but couldn't get it fed thru the bike. That was after a few minutes of trying to disconnect the wires on the shock side. didnt realize they disconnected up under the tank. The one mistake i almost pulled was removing the whole front cover. got two bolts loose then looked a little closer and realized i just needed to remove the plastic cover. wish i had new belt while i had it apart but oh well. Stopping the shock from turning ended up being pretty easy. I have these cool wrenches that hook up to a ratchet. So i just put it on the end of a long extension with a rachet. 

But what a difference new shocks make

Did a few little things to the bike. Wasn't a big fan of drilling the holes thru the plastic and the powder coated panniers.

20150516_220530_resized.jpg20150516_220550_resized.jpg20150516_220607_resized.jpg20150516_220722_resized.jpg

Edited by Mero
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this isn't my adventure bike and the incorrect forum, but I figured you'd all like to see my current project. This is my K1600's 18,000 mile service.

Spark Plugs, coolant and valve inspection. The whole job was very straight forward with the exception of a few hard to reach bolts. All my valve were well within tolerance.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1