California Coast

• Administrators

Decided kind of last minute that I needed to get my moto camping fix on so I decided to head north along the coast.

Day 1 I headed up and stayed in between Lompoc and Buellton with Joshua Jones. He’s got his RV set up there working an ag project.

Day 2 I headed north and rode my OneWheel around Morro Bay for a bit.

IMG_8286.jpg

41E2D5E0-5D7D-45C6-A513-6450ECE5F1EB.jpg

IMG_8289.jpg

Then got going north and that’s where the adventure started lol.

IMG_8302.jpg

IMG_8309.jpg

Beautiful places but high season so I lucked out walking into Plaskett Creek with just two open spots. This was 1:00! So but of anxiety finding a spot you could say.

And then like Twain said of the cold summers here the temps range from like 52-62. So I went up to Carmel to a Starbucks (of course) and planned my next move.

Decided to slab it up to Cazadero to stay with another friend, Jeff Boaz, who is an apparel designer formerly with First Gear.

Jeff has four bikes so we went riding sport bikes today!

IMG_8332.jpg

IMG_8335.jpg

IMG_8340.jpg

IMG_8343.jpg

That’s a ‘93 Ducati 900 SS SP. he was on a 81 Kawasaki GPZ 550.

I may continue north tomorrow and stay wherever I can get a spot then turn south Monday.

Jeff’s pug Vincent

D53B8790-9C99-4D23-B8D0-509CC6BEBC1C.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

Ended up staying two days at Jeff’s and we had a great time. Dinner at Timber Cove was epic!
IMG_8352.jpg
IMG_8353.jpg
IMG_8350.jpg

Took off the next day north set to do the Lost Coast! I strapped a bunch of firewood on the back in Ft Bragg which was dumb because I didn’t realize they had plenty in Shelter Cove. That 25 miles of Usal Rd dirt was fun!

Camped near the water in Shelter Cove. Had an amazing dinner at La Cochima, a Venezuelan restaurant. I talked to them about our work down in Colombia and we shared a few laughs and some tears. The cool part was when they comped my dinner! Couldn’t believe it. I tipped my server big!
IMG_8361.jpg
IMG_8364.jpg
IMG_8365.jpg
IMG_8399.jpgIMG_8400.jpg

Shared a campfire with some fisherman and got a second dinner of fresh salmon, halibut and ribeye!!! So cool! Went to bed stuffed.

Today is Avenue of the Giants and I’m staying in Rio Dell and will head back south tomorrow.

• Administrators

Saw some amazing trees along Avenue of the Giants yesterday. Last year we rode south through there but never stopped. I went all the way from just south of Crescent City home that day (never do that again).

IMG_8422.jpg
IMG_8423.jpg
IMG_8425.jpg

Checked out Eel River Brewing which wasn’t bad.

Yesterday I came back south to Jeff’s place again and stopped at Fappiano Winery and had a brief taste and picked up two bottles.
IMG_8432.jpg
IMG_8433.jpg
IMG_8431.jpg
IMG_8434.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

Spent a few hours at Fort Ross which was super cool.  It was actually a Russian fort belonging to the Russian American Company who had settled it initially as a fur trading area but later got into wheat farming, logging, etc...  They built the fort to keep the Spanish from messing with them and it seems to have worked!  They say it's the oldest CA State Park founded in about 1909 but built in 1812.

• Administrators

Rode back yesterday 499 miles!  Left at 5:19 am and it was like 46 degrees and wet fog for a bit over an hour.  Once I got over Altamont pass it warmed up and peaked at about 92.  Stopped a few times for gas and food.  Got home at 3:00 and was super tired.  Was going to go to bed early and then WHAM!  That big earthquake hit and had things shaking up quite a bit!

All in all a good trip though.  Bike ran great but this pesky left fork seal leak needs to be addressed as well as a slow leak I've had for a while in the rear rim.  I have to air up each morning as it loses about 15-20 psi each day.  Woody's sent me a kit for the whole wheel but I think some epoxy just near the valve stem is what will do it as the only leak is from a spoke nipple next to it.