Dakar 2020

• Administrators

Word from Garrett:

“Have to make this quick but want to update everyone. I crashed in the dunes today., stage 10. Lost rear brakes and couldn’t stop at a 10m tall dune. Jumped off the dune at speed and the bike nose dived. I ditched the bike and hit the ground ass first. Thankfully Rodney was there at the bottom helping Metge and he called for assistance. The ASO helicopter came quick while #35 parked at the top of the dune and waved people by.

Im at the hospital now in Ryadh and just received the news. I broke my lower back, left hip, and left wrist. All are unstable and need surgery. I’m waiting now to see what their plan is with surgery. I’m going to try and get home as quickly as possible and not get stuck here!
Thank you to everyone that helped out today. I really appreciate it. I’m in good spirits but bummed I crashed out in this way."

• Administrators

Stage 10 Bike summary.  They show a guy injured in a flat section after a dune but that's kind of what happened to Garrett coming off a dune, catching air and hitting the flat section.  Right, @Joshua Jones?  Hard landing for sure.

So high winds cancelled the rest of the stage because the helo's couldn't fly (safety).  Just two more days!  Looks like it's Honda's to lose.  Very exciting year.  Price is supremely magnanimous as well.  Pure class.  

• Like 1

• Administrators

This young lady is remarkable. She is doing so well in her first Dakar. Neil says he raced with her at Merzouga.

Sadly though I am not seeing her in the list of finishers. Nothing new from her IG feed either. Hope she’s okay.

So Brabec lost a bit on his lead but is still +13 min on the field.

Skyler in 21st today
Wolfey 41st

• Administrators

This young lady is remarkable. She is doing so well in her first Dakar. Neil says he raced with her at Merzouga.

Sadly though I am not seeing her in the list of finishers. Nothing new from her IG feed either. Hope she’s okay.

So Brabec lost a bit on his lead but is still +13 min on the field.

Skyler in 21st today
Wolfey 41st

• Administrators

Ok so so excited already about the last stage because Ricky is in the lead and will most likely take it for team USA and Honda.

Also.... so as it turns out this little lady with the heart of a lion didn’t give up and limped her bike or rather pushed it across the line about 8:12 past the lead finisher and around midnight! Truly remarkable and courageous!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Got to go to Baja HQ which I think was hosted by Cameron Steele/Baja Assassins on Wednesday where they had a great party for Ricky and the other American Dakar winner in the SXS class.  It was such an amazing experience to see the entire So Cal dirt and rally family there SO HAPPY for Ricky and all his and his team's hard work.

Also a great interview with Ricky here