Tips for disperse camping in Big Bear area

Hello everyone, 

We are planing a quick trip to Big Bear Lake this week end and were thinking about dispersed camping. I found on their website that is allowed within San Bernardino forest and would like to know if some of you have tried and if someone know a trail leading to a perfect wild camping spot near to freshwater ? Maybe I'm asking too much :)

Thanks !

• Like 1

• Administrators

That's a great question and I seem to recall posting a thread here in the SW thread about a book that lists all the best camping spots in CA.  Search for "camping" and I'm sure you'll find it.  I will look myself.

As for Big Bear camping spots, I have only stayed at Crab Flats.  It's not exactly "wild" camping though.

• Like 1

Thank you !

For those interested, on USDA website of the San Bernardino National Forest there are 4 maps with North + South Big Bear + Keller Peak Road + Coon Creek and Wildhorse Meadow. Those indicates about 30 different yellow post sites that are dispersed around trails and free. There is fire pit and picnic table. Firs come first serve. Just need a stop to ranger station if you want to make a fire (free permit). 

Cheers

• Like 1