DirtyPixel from the looks of your IG posts the Mission tires have been doing just fine in all sorts of places! I am happy to report that at least in my tire sizes 90/90/21" and 150/17", I am well north of 4,000 miles on this set, and there is quite a bit of tread left, I have normally been running shinkos and the 805 or 705 rear tires would give me around 5,000 before the tread was useless, so if these can hold out for 6...7k with usable tread that would be pretty cool. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ShutterRev said:

DirtyPixel from the looks of your IG posts the Mission tires have been doing just fine in all sorts of places! I am happy to report that at least in my tire sizes 90/90/21" and 150/17", I am well north of 4,000 miles on this set, and there is quite a bit of tread left, I have normally been running shinkos and the 805 or 705 rear tires would give me around 5,000 before the tread was useless, so if these can hold out for 6...7k with usable tread that would be pretty cool. 

Yes! I've only put a little over 1k on them and they look new. On road, they are surprisingly quiet and grippy. They hold their own in dirt and climbing rocks. They tractor through mud and light sand just fine. I haven't done gravel yet, but I'm not expecting any problems.

Unfortunately, I did dump the bike 3 times in deeper sand, twice fully loaded with camp gear and once unloaded. I mean, I don't think anyone expected these to do deep sand as a 50/50 anyways, but overall, I'm pretty happy with them!

• Like 1

Progress report, I am near 4,500 miles on these puppies... They have done the ADV Rally, and quite a few epic dirt, and an epic: they-said-it-would-be-dirt-and-it-was-sand day, as well as being my general go anywhere tires because my bike is my daily. @DirtyPixel probably has a better handle on how they are in deep sand, personally I am a dumpster fire in deep sand so I have no way of telling if the tires are helping 🤠

Now for the Update pictures: 

NDJ_5355.jpg.8d2e5415bdbd7107e75b51c05b58b6cc.jpg

NDJ_5357.jpg.670631f06d171f95b1c112d190a7b6a6.jpgNDJ_5358.jpg.c91973328b7a5b7513d85073b95b736d.jpg 
NDJ_5359.jpg.2fd1595a8c4406f0739a36153d8ea9c4.jpg

Lots of meat left! I usually run Shinkos which would be about ready to come off by now. 

Edited by ShutterRev
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Over 7,000 MILES on these puppies now. Which have been coming on slow lately with all the crap going on. But the tires are still being awesome, hard edges have smoothed, some of the gaps have closed, but still confidence inspiring off road for being a 50/50 tire. 

Update Pics: Over 7,000 miles on these mixed on and off road. NDJ_5683.thumb.jpg.1a141199b44d73ece493d9b63a341dac.jpgNDJ_5663.thumb.jpg.b3897de93d7b0b11069d877403ecdfbc.jpg

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • Administrators

Welp... 5k miles with zero complaints but picked up a nail in the rear right after I met the local Motoz dealer (hmmmmm ) so I retired them early.

I will do a complete review soon but suffice it to say I’m glad I had the chance to try these tires.

I’d worked with Dunlop a bit ahead of their launch and I’d heard good things about them.

I saw Justin Mackie completely rail his Africa Twin last year in Montana and Idaho so I saw them put through the paces.

For me, I’d never really wanted a 50/50 tire but this type of adventure touring is better suited for it.

They’re a dream on the pavement and not bad at all in the dirt. Most of the dirt I’ve done here though is pretty tame but that’s a perfect task for a 50/50 tire. I’m probably not going to ride these at a High Sierra or Mojave but this type of riding they’re perfect.

Seems a shame to retire them huh? I’m stunned they look so good with 5,000 miles on them. My guess is they could have gone 9-10k.

IMG_4923.pngIMG_4917.jpgIMG_4918.jpg
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

In case anyone is interested, attached are pix of my Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires at 13k miles on a Super Tenere T12. I plan on keeping the front on, and changing out the rear, although I could certainly ride the rear for a while longer on-road but I have some offroad planned in September.

I have found these tires to  be excellent, but I have very limited experience to compare them to. The previous tires on this bike were Anakee street tires. Ive never ridden knobbies, so this tire is my entire universe, but it certainly delivers on mileage

IMG_20210811_191558.jpg

IMG_20210811_191544.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Administrators

So I need to get these notes down before I forget…

I recently did some pretty hairy dirt sections over four days here in Colombia and it’s really my first serious off-road testing of the TrailMax Mission tires. I’ve done plenty of dirt with them; just no on trails that tough.

I aired down do 28-30 psi and was riding the Tiger 900 Rally Pro.

This is my second set of Missions. The first was from Mexico City to San Jose, Costa Rica. I took them off early to placate another sponsor who then dumped XLADV because we took on Dunlop too.

I kind of have this 1-5 scale of difficulty for dirt and I feel we did mostly level 1 but a lot of 2 and 3.

My first observation is these really hook up in corners due to the side lugs. I found it hard to break traction when the bike was at any angle of lean.

I did notice a bit of rear wheel slip on uphill climbs but I simply let off the gas a bit and it worked better. I also had two little washouts on the front in some sand but it quickly righted itself and hooked up. I mean, it’s nothing like a D606 will do for you in the dirt but it’s very good for an all-around 50/50 tire.

We didn’t have any mud but I’ve commented before that they did okay in mud and on one particular muddy uphill got me up with no issues.

Honestly what really blew my mind was the ride back on some twisty fast pavement with little traffic. We split from the group because we wanted to get home sooner and you know how it gets sometimes with friends.. you end up riding a little more “spirited,” shall we say? I got ALL of these tires’ traction and there were no chicken strips. That how hard I pushed them. And I normally ride very conservatively so this was a new level for me. We did this for a few hours then calmed it down a bit. Conditions were warm and dry and I saw no oil marks on any roads. PSI was 36 front/42 rear.

They had a bit of a whine at 75 mph but I almost never go that fast; more like 65.

I understand the marketing a bit more now when they say it really does pavement better than a 50/50 tire (way better than the Motoz GPS) and dirt better than you’d expect for a 50-50 tire.

Here the thing though, I will acknowledge the Mitas E-07 and Motoz GPS will do a bit better in the dirt. By the way, I was SO happy when I ditched the GPS for the RAID. The GPS isn’t bad per se; it’s just not as refined. It’s more “agricultural” and rough.

But keep in mind what I said recently about the subjectivity of how these tires get rated.

The US chose to call this a 50-50 tire when it came out and that felt like a stretch to me. Then I found out Europe calls it a 70-30 (street/dirt) tire. The Anakee Adventure is 70-30 and the TrailMax Mission blows it away in the dirt. I’d also NEVER buy that tire because it’s nearly useless off road.

I might even call it a 60-40 (street/dirt) but that’s just my opinion. My point is you probably are a better judge once you try them. I feel the mfg’s aren’t always that accurate.

The Mission does extremely well off road. When you really examine how big the clean outs are and the side lugs, the off road performance makes a lot of sense.

I have some brief experience with the TrailMax RAID on the 990 and would have preferred those for this type of trip though.

I had a car coming towards me and I slowed down to pass him but then the idiot left like 6 feet to his left and nearly none on the right for me. I braked hard and because I was in enduro mode I had no rear abs. I swung the rear a bit right then back left and ended up stopping in the ditch to the right of the car. I then realized a need more stopping distance than I thought.

But this is a tire that will get you around the world with no issues and is a perfect tire for the Tiger. If I had my 990 here I’d go for the 908RR or Raid and that’d be my “dirt bike.”

A German couple who stayed with me for Christmas are riding two BMW 650’s and have 16,000 miles on their Missions and say they’ll get another 5k! That’s incredible. They said they put them on in Montana.

Another observation is this guy, Juan, on his 1290 in front of me on the way back. He was hesitant to lean the bike in curves. I asked him about that and he said:”yeah I just don’t have confidence in my front tire (Mitas E-07).” I certainly trusted mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to see some new activity here. I've been running the MIssions on my Super Tenere 1200 as well as on my Tiger 900RP and I am getting around 13k miles on the rear and I think I got about 19k on a front. I am not a very advanced offroad rider, but they seem to work pretty well for my level of riding. More importantly they are a great tire for long distance riding to Mexico and Central America. They will last the whole trip and on those occasions when the roads disappear, Im not worried about traction. I also found the TM made me a better road rider compared to the street tires that were on before (dont remember what they were).

I was thinking perhaps a good combo might be a TM on the rear and the Raid on the front ? 

BTW I have the exact same bike as you, same colors, model everything. I like the bike a lot, but the handle bar buzz at 4kRPM and above is annoying. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

That’s a great point you made about a Raid up front.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that while has very good longevity, it’s not hard like plastic as the Heidenau is.

That vibey thing about the Tiger is interesting. I heard it way back in 2020 but I’ve either never experienced it or I’m somehow immune to it

I’ve heard other people say about the Missions “they don’t grip well in the wet!”

Are you kidding me?! I’ve only ridden them in Central America and Colombia which are literally rainforests. I was damn glad I had them at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rode my Super Tenere 1200 with the Trailmax Missions on my first trip to mainland Mexico in 2022 and among other rides I did Highway 23 from the Coast to Durango in very rainy conditions. I live in Las Vegas and we run for the nuclear fallout-shelter when wet comes from the sky (what manner of sorcery is this?) so I was a VERY tentative rider in the rain, but as I gained confidence I gained speed and if you're familiar with that road, it's super twisty. By the end I was riding it almost as if it was dry pavement. As far as I am concerned those tires are awesome in the wet..

Re the handlebar buzz on the Triumph.. I know there are a lot of people that think it is buzy and a lot of others who say its not an issue, but for me it's definitely there and I have added bar end weights and grip puppies, neither of which did much. Mostly I put it on cruise and grip the bars very lightly to alleviate it. It's an amazing bike though... well except for the TFT which Triumph totally failed on, what a waste of a great display.

• Like 1

My TFT is fine, but I hate all of the layouts, especially the RPM meter. Look at the reviews for the 2024 model that came out, they fixed the display, it has a rotary RPM like god intended.

I may take my Triumph all the way to Costa Rica in a month from now. I was going to take a new to me BMW I am buying (R1250 GS A) but I may not have the title in time and also I am thinking do I really want to take a $20k bike to countries where I cannot get full coverage insurance ? It would suck big time to own the bike for a week and have it stolen somewhere without insurance. The Triumph I got for $12k which is still a lot of money but...