New GPX 5.5 Flexlock Boot from Leatt

• Administrators

These seem pretty interesting.  Looks like a 3 year development project from Leatt and a lot of testing have yielded a comfortable and flexible boot.  $389.99.  Not bad!

Some highlights:

• The all new Leatt GPX 5.5 FlexLock boot, a 3-year project with long term development and testing using our Pro athletes from all over the world!
  • The GPX 5.5 boot is a real head-turner when it comes to looks and style, but the design brief was comfort and protection also, and we nailed it first time.
  • As you slide your foot inside our boot, you instantly feel the plush interior and quality of the materials used, it’s like putting your feet inside your favorite shoes or slippers!
  • Our adjustable FlexLock system reduces forces to the ankle by up to 37% and the knee by up to 35% by locking out the ankle movement when over flexed, giving you that feeling of security.
  • With great feel of the frame, gear lever and rear brake, these boots instantly feel so good.
  • You must check out our SlideLock Velcro function, it really is ground-breaking in security fastening boot technology.

gpx_boots_new__0011_leatt_boot_gpx5.5_flexlock_black_isofront_3020002080.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

After using these boots at High Sierra I will be going with a different pair.  My fault really.  I assumed these were going to be at least as water resistant as my Gaerne SG-12's but they're not.  They're made for the motocross track and not really a long distance adv touring trip involving heavy rain.  There are areas of the lower boot that are designed for better ventilation that are at odds with being water-resistant.

I do think they're very good boots still and they'll be my go-to set for my normal SoCal riding where water typically isn't an issue.  They are light and easy to walk in.  I was feeling the boot rub on my outer ankle bones but when I loosened the two lower buckles that almost went away.  I will also put another insole in there to raise my heel just a bit.  That part is designed to cradle and support your ankle but is just a bit high for me.  Easy fix.

But the light, easy to walk in and protective parts are what I'm looking for long term.  My SG-12's will likely stay in the closet indefinitely.

For this adv touring trip I went with a set of SIDI ADV II boots.  Water proof but again I'm making trade off's.  They're great to walk in but you can feel they're not nearly as rigid and protective as my SG-12's or Tech10's.  Knowing I'm not doing any enduro type riding is how I'm dealing with that trade off.  Walking and water proof are ranking higher on this particular trip.  Once I get back though, I'm going back to the GPX 5.5's for the desert riding I do.