Husqvarna Norden 901

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

It’s media launch week in the Azores this week at long last! I got a press update (indirectly) the other day with some specs. I say indirectly because KTM/Husqvarna has blacklisted XLADV (and perhaps other grass roots forums) from their public relations email lists. Feb 2019 was the last time I got a PR email from KTM and May 2020 from Husky.

Forums are for riders and we like to talk and learn about new things adv: how they’re made, what works/doesn’t work, problems, etc…. There are other mfg’s who understand that and aren’t threatened by it like Honda, Triumph, Yamaha. They reach out to forums and real riders/influencers. That’s how things work now in 2021. But those whose heads are stuck in 1995 are content with spoon feeding info out to their trained seal old media partners who are sure to put a shine on a new product even it it’s a turd.

We had a great start with KTM before Justin Dawes left for Cycle World and then the direction changed.

I also have a secret friend who has his own experience with this new 901 and I hope to provide more of his thoughts on it soon.

But let’s be honest, it’s a KTM 890 with a few differences I’ll try to point out. All I notice right now are plastics and a slightly smaller tank (19 vs 20 liters). As well as some electronic doo-dads and display. And actually I’m pretty excited about the 901 as it’s in a highly sought after mid weight segment and seems supremely dirt-able like it’s 890 cousin. And the lower center of gravity gives it an edge over the very popular T700.

What Husky is saying about it:

Husqvarna Media Center

HUSQVARNA MOTORCYCLES IS LIFTING THE COVERS OFF THE HIGHLY ANTICIPATED NORDEN 901
DYNAMIC AND VERSATILE TRAVEL MACHINE TO OFFER OUTSTANDING STREET AND OFFROAD CAPABILITY FOR UNCOMPROMISED EXPLORATION
The Husqvarna Motorcycles Norden 901 is finally hitting dealer floors in North America. First shown to great acclaim as a concept model at the 2019 EICMA Motorcycle Show in Milan, Italy, Husqvarna Motorcycles has built true offroad ability into an exceptional adventure travel motorcycle that keeps on going when the road ends.

Inspired by Husqvarna Motorcycles’ Factory Rally machines, the Norden 901 is built to cover long distances across challenging, diverse landscapes. Fast, fun, nimble and above all capable, this is a motorcycle that makes even the longest riding days rewarding, no matter how far the rider chooses to go, whether on-road or off.

The Norden 901 brings a tough yet lightweight approach to the midclass adventure sector. A smooth and torquey 899 cc parallel-twin engine powers the Norden 901 with dual balancer shafts to minimize vibration. The engine is housed in a light steel trellis frame, prepared to carry rider, luggage, and passenger to the furthest points of the map, across any terrain, assisted by WP APEX suspension with long 220 mm travel. Large diameter 21 inch front and 18 inch rear tires roll easily over obstacles on the trail. For all its exemplary offroad ability, the Norden 901 also offers unrivalled comfort and agility on tarmac.

A rider headed deep into unknown territory needs to know they can rely on their machine in extreme situations. Therefore, the Norden 901 braking system is backed up by switchable Bosch Cornering ABS with Street and Offroad modes. Husqvarna Motorcycles’ lean-angle sensitive Cornering Motorcycle Traction Control (MTC) is also there to assist, with particular attention paid to its levels of offroad assistance.

Making every journey an adventure beyond the horizon, the Norden 901 offers three selectable ride modes as standard (Street, Rain, Offroad) and an optional Explorer mode to deal with every circumstance the rider might encounter. An Easy Shift function allows for clutchless shifts up and down the six-speed gearbox, while a Power Assist Slipper Clutch (PASC) maintains rear wheel composure.

Technical highlights:
Chromium-molybdenum steel trellis frame with engine as stressed member
889 cc parallel-twin engine is smooth and powerful across the rpm range
Adjustable WP APEX suspension provides exceptional comfort both on the street and offroad
Three selectable ride modes (Street, Rain, Offroad) and optional Explorer mode
Cutting-edge, switchable cornering ABS with Offroad mode
Ride-by-wire throttle
Easy Shift function
Cornering-sensitive Motorcycle Traction Control (allows for nine levels of adjustable rear wheel slip in Explorer mode)
Power Assist Slipper Clutch (PASC)
Tubeless spoked wheels and Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR tires for peak performance on the street and offroad
Large capacity, 5-gallon (19-liter) fuel tank provides an extended range of up to 248 miles (400 km)
Optional Connectivity Unit provides turn-by-turn navigation, telephone call reception and music selection functionality from the rider’s smartphone

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

The feedback I got from my anonymous friend was disappointingly brief: “it’s the same as the 890.” Apparently he wasn’t thrilled with the 890 either.

But I did read a recent piece by CycleWorld and it’s all coming together now. Most of the insight came from the comments, actually.

This moto *is* the 890 simply wrapped up, packaged and marketed to a very different rider “archetype.” There are some subtle differences in suspension (more road than dirt) and tank (1 liter smaller simply for cosmetic reasons) and the obvious ones like plastics, fairing, headlight.

My first glimpse of the KTM core market was their KTM Rally about 4-5 years ago. What struck me about them was how dirt-capable they were. At a regular adv event one might see about 30% of the riders at that high level of dirt-ability but here it was easily double. These guys grew up in the dirt and had small bike backgrounds.

But there are a LOT more Starbucks riders out there than KTM and Husky is trying to be more of an “every-man’s” bike. I was certainly that rider 10 years ago.

I even traded out my orange plastics for black when I bought a 500 EXC because I found the orange a bit obnoxious and overtly branded.

Nothing wrong with that approach at all, in fact it’s very smart. If I were just getting started in the ADV market today I’d probably prefer the 901 as well. It’s more stylish as well as subtle and doesn’t make any statements I’d likely be unable to fulfill. It would look super hipster too on my personal Instagram.

It’s the 890b (beta).

I do see it as capable though and not truly a Starbucks poser bike. I’d guess it preferable to a T700 as well.

Im more the 890R type now though.

• Administrators

Great video by Long Way Home

I think he makes two great points.  One is Husky claimed in 2019 to have "class leading lightness" but at 205kg dry that's not even close.  They also haven't released pricing (have since; $13,999).  Some other great points about the differences in rake angle (1.6 cm closer for the wheel base; insignificant) as well as 43mm forks vs 48mm on the 890R.  As seen in other reviews, the 901 is kind of a blend of the regular 890 adventure and the R model in terms of seat height, ground clearance and suspension travel.

He says this is basically a twin of the 890 (popping Husky's marketing bubble) but I think he's missing out on the marketing angle; that KTM is trying to reach a much larger segment with this bike.  He says he personally doesn't like the 790/890 because they're "too millennial" for him but I think he's missing the fact the 901 is even MORE millennial for just this purpose.

He and I both feel it's undoubtedly a nice bike still but he says "not a great bike" like was promised.

Over-promised.  Under-delivered.