Eric Hall

Central and South American Adventure

This is a placeholder for my central and south America adventure that will begin on our about Sept 8, 2020.

I am self-funding this trip and while I will be raising funds for Motorrad Angels, I'm also creating a Patreon page to help me offset any unexpected expenses like maintenance/repair, lost/damaged equipment, etc...  I'll have plenty of photos there as well as some first-person video accounts of this adventure.

Update:  So happy and surprised to see I have 5 patrons already!  Thanks so much!

Here's my satellite tracker link where you can see where I am once I take off.

Sounds awesome Eric.  I'll be there for you as I can.  For the AV/Photo/Documenation check out ItchyBoots and Races2Place (Poskitt) videos for samples of things people have really engaged with.  While it might be a PITA, what about inviting "sponsors" to accompany you on segments?  Working with a local tour operator…  In any case I'll check out the Patreon link.  See you in the Sierras.

• Like 1

Thank you so much Steven for the support and suggestions.  I've been watching ItchyBoots for a while.  Not sure if I want something that slick and produced but it gives me some good ideas.  I have a good GoPro style camera, my phone and was going to get a drone and perhaps a point and shoot.  I have a tripod somewhere.

Got the tires on finally!  Tractionator RallZ by Motoz.  Had to wait for some tools to remove the wheels since they weren't in the tool kit

IMG_6683.jpg

Got some great gear from Klim including their Carlsbad jacket/pants, Baja S4 gloves, Krios Pro helmet

9B7422B6-EF5C-4166-A147-8FCCF3D59581.jpg0EC5EFD9-1BA4-44B1-B165-6C76D7FD76C3.jpg

IMG_6690.jpg

Racks came from MotoMachines (US distributor for Hepco & Becker)

78CFE252-4473-4F86-A5BD-92E199900556.jpg

And then Sena got me a new 10C Evo which is the next version of their 10C

2C439CDE-8E65-4FCE-B653-CAE7D5A4384A.jpg

Got a new camera!  Canon EOS M50

Adjustments.jpg

And a drone!  DJI Mavic Mini.

IMG_6767.jpg

Yup.  The reality is sinking in for me and it's giving me anxiety.  It's not easy to just put everything on hold and take off but I guess that's all part of the adventure.
So just generally it's kind of weird to have no particular destination.  Once I can get my place sorted out here and stuff stored I'll be free to ride around a bit I figure here in CA in the Sierra Nevada and maybe get up into OR and WA before heading back down for High Sierra near Mammoth Lakes Sep 3-6.  After that I'll head south and down the Baja peninsula to Cabo and stay a few days at a friend's there before taking the ferry over to Mazatlan and then another friend's place near Puerto Vallarta and my first water project.  So the reality is I have quite a few destinations already planned so what am I anxious about?  lol
Cleaning out the house has been interesting.  I've wanted to do this trip for a long time but I just didn't ever want to leave my kids when they were small.  So part of that is like that empty nester feeling parents get when they send their kids off to school.  Saying goodbye to the past and looking forward to the future.  I'd be doing that whether I was going on this trip or not.
I sold my son's dresser and now the bunk beds my kids used since they were old enough to leave their cribs.  All the bed time stories...  And sure enough I find old candy wrappers stuffed behind the bed on the floor most likely left there by my daughter a few years ago.  Getting rid of some old toys, Indian Princesses and Guides stuff, an old model rocket we built together.
Bittersweet.
Had a great camping trip with my boy this past weekend.  We were supposed to have gone to Kauai Jul 23 but Hawaii extended their covid restrictions until the end of July.  American Airlines simply cancelled our flights like two weeks earlier (think they knew in advance?).  I re-booked on United but now can only get a voucher and not my money back.  Same with Westin.  Oh well I guess we can go next year then yeah?
But knowing he's going to school and I'm off on this trip gave the trip a certain special meaning.  I really savored every moment.
Life sure is great though!

• Like 1

Coming up to being homeless would give me anxiety too.  

Sounds like you will spend time living on just what you carry on your bike for a couple months before you head south.  That should help you decide what you need and don't need.  

It hot as hell here, but if you need to crash in my Toybox  you can.  Its got AC.  (loud AC,  you will need those ear plugs)  

• Like 1

Thanks!  I am planning to do that van/storage thing out of Yuma.  I'll drive out, get the truck, drive it back here, load it then drive it back to Yuma, unload and then drive my car back to CA.  I'm sure I can count on your for your unloading skills, right?  Right?!.... 🤣

1 hour ago, Eric Hall said:

Thanks!  I am planning to do that van/storage thing out of Yuma.  I'll drive out, get the truck, drive it back here, load it then drive it back to Yuma, unload and then drive my car back to CA.  I'm sure I can count on your for your unloading skills, right?  Right?!.... 🤣

Ugh, yes!

• Like 1