The New 2020 Klim Carlsbad Jacket/Pants

• Administrators

Just got a new jacket/pant combo ($1,100) of the new Carlsbad line from Klim for my Central and South American trip!

The Carlsbad is designed to be more for mobility and comfort.  The enhancements include an entirely new chassis but most notably better core and arm ventilation, abrasion resistance (super fabric) as well as better armor protection (D30 LVL 2 LP 2 Pro armor).

I've worn my previous version suit for about 4 years and it looks as good as new.  I've ridden with in in hot and cold as well as VERY rainy conditions in Puerto Rico and Colombia.  I would have gotten their new Baja S4 for heat but one lesson I learned is I hate stopping when it rains to put on a rain slick cover and then stopping again later to take it off.  I like that the Carlsbad *is a rain suit already!*  This lesson wasn't lost on my riding partners, Tom Palmer and @Dennis Godwin.

There's no better color to me than Klim black with patina of dust but I just don't want a black jacket in the tropical heat to make me even hotter so I went with this color way they call Sage Hi-Viz...

I already like the vents better.  The previous sleeve vent zipper was very difficult to open/close with one hand while wearing because it sort of crossed over your arm in a compound curve and it really took two hands to get that open/closed so it was best done by removing the jacket and using two hands.  No more with this one long zipper up the arm.  It also has some cool tie-downs on the upper chest that let you hold the top of the jacket open for even better air flow.

I'm a big guy but the XL jacket fits me perfectly.  They do run big.  Last time I got the 36 long pants and regretted it because they always dragged on the ground behind my boot.  This time I got standard length and it's perfect.

6029-002_Sage - Hi-Vis_01.jpeg

6030-002_Sage - Hi-Vis_01.jpeg

• 10 months later...