KTM 890 Adventure

• Administrators

Seen the news?  Seems to me like the new 790 but not sure yet.  The first 790 was made in Austria then the second year was supposed to be made in China but then they started ramping up the 890 to be made in India which made me think perhaps they're ditching China (like so many other companies) and want it made in India.  I have no issue with that but I'd just prefer an Indian price tag to an Austrian one, lol!

Apparently it's not just a larger displacement but they've reengineered the whole thing.  105 horsepower and a friend who has a deposit on one says the weight is 464 lbs with a 5.3 gallon tank.  13% more torque.  Lighter frame, aluminum rather than steel steering stem too. Nice!

The catch?  Only 700 will be made and chances are they're already sold out.  But you may not need to wait until next May... word is you may seem them in dealers this Nov!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Here is a video of the 3rd day on dirt. I decided to let Kyle ride it on some trails I knew had carnage potential to help boost his channel. I rode my 1290 and the trails did not disappoint. The bike only got a few scratches that I would have put there anyways. I believe the main cause of the dirt naps was due to not understanding the traction control settings and they were too high.

• Like 3

@Eric Hall The comments were all over the place. Many of them boosted my self esteem about the guy on the 1290;) If my bike has knobbys, trail carnage is a given with me ;). 

When you get back from your amazing adventure we can hit a few trails so you can can give it go if you want. The bike is impressive. My only complaint is the wide tank down low. It kept from squeezing past a gate suggestion that the 1290 could get through. It looks like KTM is going to keep with that theme looking at the 2021 1290 photos. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

I haven’t been shy sharing issues with this platform from KTM. My main issue is wondering what type of adventure motorcycle is it really if I rarely see them traveling internationally?

On paper the 890 is such an amazing machine and def a step up from the previous 950/990 generation. But it’s been plagued by many issues.

That being said, it’s very nice to see KTM’s commitment to the platform and mirrors Honda’s similar commitment to their Africa Twin platform. Below is a list of new improvements for the 2023 model year:

KTM has furthered the possibilities of the Travel and Adventure motorcycle segment with its sharp 2023 LC8 and LC8c ADVENTURE range. Joining the recently-unveiled 2023 KTM 890 ADVENTURE R is the new KTM 890 ADVENTURE, the bike that has made any trail, any trip, any road, or any distance an exercise of ease with just the right amount of adrenaline—thanks to unbeatable power, weight, agility, and specification—is now even better.

The KTM 890 ADVENTURE has been crafted as the ultimate master of all conditions and distances. The raspy and responsive LC8 engine puts surroundings into motion, but the ride-by-wire delivered power is as assuring as it is thrilling, controllable as it can be wild, stable as it is spectacular. A low center of gravity with the 5.3-gallon (20-liter) fuel tank design pushes the slim form of the KTM 890 ADVENTURE to the forefront and accentuates the ergonomics in both sitting and standing positions. The robust steel subframe means that the heaviest of pillions and packages are a breeze.

So, how can the best be made better? Well, KTM has put the bike into a 360 analytical spin and have pinpointed several ways in which the rider’s time in the saddle can be even more enjoyable and, just as important, unrestrained.

For 2023, one of the most significant changes has been made to the front mask between the head of the bike and the fuel tank. A connected fairing section offers improved protection from the elements while spending long stretches in the saddle, and it is now further reinforced to offer more security and more load-bearing capability for larger GPS devices. Further along, the KTM 890 ADVENTURE has wider panels on the tank and side panels to give the seat protection against unwanted bumps or scrapes.

For handling road and offroad duty with equal adeptness, reworked WP APEX 43 mm front forks now come with adjustment for rebound and compression, accessible from the top caps. The APEX shock, engineered and slotted into the bike to minimize height, has new settings orientated for the demands of adventure riding.

The use of a new 9.3 mp ABS unit feeds from the 6D sensor to enable full braking power in a range of scenarios. The improved ABS is synced with the ride modes, allowing OFFROAD ABS (maximizing braking control through disengagement on the rear wheel and lowered intervention on the front) to be activated automatically in OFFROAD or RALLY mode. The KTM 890 ADVENTURE can be clicked into STREET, OFFROAD, RAIN and an optional RALLY mode to adjust engine and traction control character. An innovative DEMO setting gifts the rider the chance to try the full gamut of optional Rider Aids for the first 1,500 km before deciding whether to purchase and keep them permanently.

KTM has streamlined the ride due to a new, higher screen that offers increased wind protection and is inspired by the product used on the KTM 450 RALLY. They have also packed more comfort into the 2-part seat with a new soft foam structure and a slimmer front fender for superior aerodynamics and rain protection.

The overhauled 5” TFT display draws particular attention, not only for the revised hardware (bonded mineral glass for extra scratch and glare resistance) but the redesigned software system of menus and infographics that make alterations to the behavior of the KTM 890 ADVENTURE even simpler. The backlight changes intensity as it reacts to the environment and better synchronicity between the TFT and the KTMconnect App means seeing Turn-by-Turn+ navigation directions, listening to audio and taking calls has never been easier or more intuitive. A 2023 feature now enables riders to list their ‘top-10’ calls by the last ones made or favorites list and is another added convenience of the advanced setup. The Turn-by-Turn+ empowers the rider to add extra customization to their navigation details on the go and from the bike’s TFT menu without having to stop and fish around for their mobile device.

Sportier graphics and more dynamic looks (the plastics are color injected and using in-mold decals where possible for extra resistance, as seen on the KTM offroad bikes) comes with other, practical additions such as the new aluminum engine and tank protector. Other additions include a handlebar switch with hazard warning, different tires for offroad emphasis thanks to PIRELLI SCORPION STRs and LED indicators.

2023 KTM 890 ADVENTURE Highlights:

// Upgraded ergonomics and bodywork for more protective and comfortable riding
// Low weight, proven race-derived chassis for perfect performance yet practical compromise
// Revised WP Suspension settings and adjusters for more response and adaptability
// Optimized travel ‘friendliness’ with better TFT menus, App options, reworked Ride Modes, higher screen and more versatile and comfortable 2-piece seat
// More offroad orientated tires with PIRELLI SCORPION STRs
// Two fresh color options and new racier graphics set

The 2023 KTM 890 ADVENTURE R was launched in September at the 2022 KTM Adventure Rider Rally in Tamarack, Idaho, the perfect backdrop to showcase the most extreme Adventure motorcycle in KTM’s arsenal. Featuring many of the same updates as the new KTM 890 ADVENTURE but with even more hyper-focused offroad attributes, there’s one more update to share for the “R” model. The 2023 KTM 890 ADVENTURE R will now be fitted with new Mitas ENDURO TRAIL+ tires, selected to deliver offroad-focused performance and thoroughly tested by offroad legends Quinn Cody and Chris Birch.

These two new middleweight Adventure machines join the flagship 2023 KTM 1290 SUPER ADVENTURE R and KTM 1290 SUPER ADVENTURE S to comprise nothing less than the most exhilarating and capable range of 2-cylinder Adventure motorcycles on the market. Both the LC8, 1,301 cc powered KTM 1290 SUPER ADVENTURE R and KTM 1290 SUPER ADVENTURE S were completely redesigned in 2022 – the former being the most offroad capable, large-displacement machine available and the latter being the sportiest Adventure street motorcycle conceivable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2