Save Panamint Springs

• Administrators

IMG_0698.jpg

So this sucks!!! Due to so many covid lockdowns, Panamint Springs Resort May have to close permanently. This means the bank may bull doze it forever.

This is my favorite spot in Death Valley. Period. And I don’t want to see it go.

link here to raise funds:

They’re at about $5k now.

• Like 1

Hi there Eric, I was never a big fan of Panamint Springs other than a place to fuel. It has seen so many changes over the years it's hard to keep up. The resort itself has been in rundown condition and debilitated since the mid 80's. The Cassell's have not done much to improve it. Mostly just bandaid repairs from one year to the next to keep it operating. I know there is a big following to the resort but I just don't see it myself. My only worry is the fuel station not being there anymore. Panamint Springs is really close to all the major trailheads in the North end of DV and a good place to fuel when coming off the Southern trails.

Stovepipe Wells is my main go to for fuel, lodging, and supplies in DV.

• Like 1

A few of us were just there in Early November and I have been staying there for about 90% of my trips to DV. Yup, it is not the Four Seasons by any means, but the shear Beauty of the area, stars at night and rustic location is what we all go for. Many many laughs around those fire pits. I hope they make it through this challenging time. This effects all of us.

• Like 2

• Administrators
Hi there Eric, I was never a big fan of Panamint Springs other than a place to fuel. It has seen so many changes over the years it's hard to keep up. The resort itself has been in rundown condition and debilitated since the mid 80's. The Cassell's have not done much to improve it. Mostly just bandaid repairs from one year to the next to keep it operating. I know there is a big following to the resort but I just don't see it myself. My only worry is the fuel station not being there anymore. Panamint Springs is really close to all the major trailheads in the North end of DV and a good place to fuel when coming off the Southern trails.
Stovepipe Wells is my main go to for fuel, lodging, and supplies in DV.

Yeah I hear you but the family are good people and they’ve been good to us.

The men’s bathroom has had a broken urinal for maybe 6 years or more but it’s really hard to make repairs and improvements on their small cash flow.

And relative to other campsites I prefer it a lot. I hate dealing with the NPS and don’t like Furnace Creek or Stovepipe Wells.
  • Like 2

• Administrators

So the key issue seems to be the new generators they had installed right before covid. They owe money on those and can’t pay right now.

From the fundraiser page:

Panamint Springs, a rustic and remote community & resort in the heart of Death Valley National Park has been decimated by the COVID travel bans and has barely been able to survive since April. The resort is off the grid and has to generate its own electricity, but the bank is threatening to take the generators. With no electricity, the resort and small community will close permanently and the people who live and work there will become homeless. This is why a group of us Panamint enthusiasts are asking for the community to step in and help save this family and community. If it goes under, the park will probably bull-dose the place and it will never return.

The family members on site have been working since April without pay trying to keep the place from going under, but it has been a real struggle. The National Park was closed for quite some time, and visitors to the area dropped 95% within days of the shutdown. Travelers are finally beginning to return to the area, but with all the restrictions still in place and the uncertainty about further restrictions, it is still a daily struggle to keep operations going. It's been a brutal year for the family but they have managed to keep the campground, RV Parking, Fuel Station, and Store open, along with take-out and outdoor dining on a limited schedule in the restaurant. Getting food, fuel, and supplies delivered to the resort has become near impossible and very expensive, so they have had to get very creative in order to obtain fresh quality food items and supplies. The motel has been open off and on, and finally has enough guests to allow daily reservations. They have taken great measures to implement COVID health protocols throughout the resort to protect the guests and community, but that is also very expensive.

The family has struggled to keep up with creditors, most are working with the family to give them some breathing room, but the generators were installed in February right before everything fell apart, and there just isn't enough business yet to cover the costs. We are hoping to raise enough to pay them off, or at least give the bank enough to prevent them from showing up in the middle of the night and turning the electricity off.

In addition to raising some needed funds, we would like encourage everyone to plan and book a trip up to Panamint as soon as you can. Also, please tell your family and friends about Panamint Springs and how amazing of an experience a visit to the Panamint community and Death Valley National Park would be. This time of year is the best time, the weather is not hot and the landscape is breathtaking. If you are looking for somewhere to escape all the lock-downs and hoards of people on top of each other, then Panamint is the place to go. Bring your RV, tent, hiking boots, or just jump in the car and go. This is a great place to get away from everything and everyone.

Please help save this 100 year old historic resort.

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Jason R said:

I donated.  I have enjoyed using their services and the wifi is worth gold in that area.  

Is that land leased from the federal government? 

Good question.  Not sure but I was told it's private property.  I think the big risk is if they default, the bank may likely sell to someone likely to bulldoze the whole thing.  My guess is DVNP does NOT want them there anymore.

• Administrators

Just talked with Dan, the guy who started the fundraiser. 100% legit. He’s a family friend whos been helping them with their business and all funds can only be withdrawn by them.

It’s the loan on the generators they need help with as well as fixing the refrigerator compressor that went out at Thanksgiving. You may or may not know they hold a huge Thanksgiving meal where they feed a lot of people for free.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Update from Dan Samuels the organizer:

I'm in awe and humbled by the generosity and response to this fundraiser. In just two days, over 190 people have donated over $15K. There have been so many wonderful comments by people sharing memories and their love of Panamint and the family.

2020 has been tough year for everyone and to see so much passion and care for this struggling community, family, and business really restores hope that 2021 is going to be OK. Thank you, and please pass it along, I think we might actually make the goal, which would be absolutely life saving for Panamint.

PS. Thank you to the many who have also booked advanced reservations for next year. That is wonderful.

• Like 2

• Administrators

$25,615 now!

New update:

As most of you have heard, California ICU beds are nearing capacity across the state, so the governor issued new orders. I appreciate the panic our government feels, and my heart goes out to anyone that is impacted by this nasty virus. If you get sick and there are no hospital beds left, that's a real crisis. Notwithstanding, this means that the progress Panamint was seeing in returning guests may likely drop again, deepening the financial struggle the resort faces. Let's all pray this vaccine works, and gets rolled out very fast!

Interestingly enough, the National Park has decided to remain open to visitors, and has asked Panamint to stay open to accommodate any park guests. The park is apparently concerned that people could become stranded if there is no place to stay, which is quite dangerous for someone ill prepared that is visiting the park.

So, thanks to the help of all the Panamint supporters, the family will keep the generators running and the lights on. The store and fuel station will be open, and camping will be available for folks that need somewhere to stay, as well as people that need a place to park their RV and hook up. The motel will also serve guests that need a place to stay while visiting the park. The restaurant isn't allowed to serve anything except take-out, but there are lots of places spread out across the resort where someone can sit down and eat their take-out meal.

Nothing like ending 2020 with a bang.

Again, thank you to everyone who is helping this great cause.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...