Vaughn at Autoweek

My 10 Favorite ADV Bikes (this week)

I work at a car magazine called Autoweek but sometimes they release the ankle bracelet and I escape. This is one such time: 

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/a35718882/10-coolest-adventure-bikes/ 

I just rode the new Ducati Multistrada V4 and it is not only loaded with more electronics than any other ADV bike, but I found it remarkably easy to ride, on or off pavement. I also rode the R 1250 GS and liked that, too. In fact, it's still in the garage and I'm hoping they forgot they loaned it to me. There are a few other bikes in the article as well, and while I rode most of them,  I didn't get to ride them all. Would really like to try out some mid-size bikes like the Yamaha Tenere 700 and KTM 390 Adventure. We'll see. Photo below is me on the paved highway above Anza Borrego. I did not fall of. An accomplishment. Thanks for letting me onto XL ADV!

21005  Ducati Multistrada 8520.jpg

• Like 2

I’d ridden Baja more times than I can count but never south of BDLA so I had planned to go that way initially and take the ferry to Mazatlan.

But I ended up getting a very nice invitation from the BMW club in Chihuahua and couldn’t pass that up. Glad I went that way too because it was a really good time spent there.

The first day to Tucson in the heat wasn’t fun . Those first two days I covered 1,000 miles. Haven’t ridden that much since.