10th Annual High Sierra 2021

Are we supposed to arrive on Thursday the 2nd and rides begin Friday the 3rd, or do you all usually arrive on the 2nd and ride the same day?
What time are we able to check-in and get setup at the campsite?

I see the event schedule for September 2-5, but I saw on ADVPulse.com the Start Date was shown as the 3rd (though maybe they have it wrong).

Since I'm doing a 6 hour drive with the trailer I want to make sure I get the right number of days off work :)

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, OnlyOneKenobi said:

Are we supposed to arrive on Thursday the 2nd and rides begin Friday the 3rd, or do you all usually arrive on the 2nd and ride the same day?
What time are we able to check-in and get setup at the campsite?

I see the event schedule for September 2-5, but I saw on ADVPulse.com the Start Date was shown as the 3rd (though maybe they have it wrong).

Since I'm doing a 6 hour drive with the trailer I want to make sure I get the right number of days off work 🙂

You can arrive whenever you like.  Typically the event has been centered around about 2 and a half days of riding (Fri, Sat, Sun) A few of us used to show up Thursday so we could set up camp and get a full day of riding on Friday but then last year I noticed quite a few people showing up on Thursday now.  So yeah, the official dates used to be Fri-Sun (3-5) but with a few showing up "early" on Thursday (the 2nd).  We are having new prize drawings Thursday and Friday nights so it should really say Sep 2-5.

Don't worry about getting there at any specific time to check in.  Just come when you can.  You don't need to check in with anyone at the general store unless you show up Wednesday or earlier.  Some come early and pay an extra night for their own spots.  Come Friday after work.  Come whenever you like.  I will be there Thursday hopefully by 5:00 pm and leave Sunday morning around 9:00 am.

I will contact Rob Dabney at ADVPulse and see if he can edit that date.  Thanks for letting me know.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eric Hall said:

You can arrive whenever you like.  Typically the event has been centered around about 2 and a half days of riding (Fri, Sat, Sun) A few of us used to show up Thursday so we could set up camp and get a full day of riding on Friday but then last year I noticed quite a few people showing up on Thursday now.  So yeah, the official dates used to be Fri-Sun (3-5) but with a few showing up "early" on Thursday (the 2nd).  We are having new prize drawings Thursday and Friday nights so it should really say Sep 2-5.

Don't worry about getting there at any specific time to check in.  Just come when you can.  You don't need to check in with anyone at the general store unless you show up Wednesday or earlier.  Some come early and pay an extra night for their own spots.  Come Friday after work.  Come whenever you like.  I will be there Thursday hopefully by 5:00 pm and leave Sunday morning around 9:00 am.

I will contact Rob Dabney at ADVPulse and see if he can edit that date.  Thanks for letting me know.

Perfect, thanks Eric.

I'll plan to arrive Thursday afternoon then so I can be setup for dinner that night!

Thank you!

• Like 2

• Administrators

Good question from @CJ Spinn and follow up from @Jason R

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 10.10.19 AM.png

The cold nights can get SUPER cold but usually closer to sunrise than bed time.  Bedtime seems to be in the 50's but I've seen it dip sub-freezing every time.  Once even to 18.  I have a 15 degree bag I use and would recommend an insulated pad as well as something to cover your head when sleeping.

Enduro or adventure style helmet that has good airflow is a good idea.  Gloves that are street-safe (enduro/mx gloves rip on the pavement).  Sturdy boots.  Sturdier the better like enduro/mx boots.  Seen lots of tib/fib issues with bad boots when someone dabs a foot in sand.

You WONT need your panniers or top box on the trail.  Leave them at camp.

Your bike recently serviced.  Not a good time to have a breakdown on the trail.  Jason said knobbies but NEW knobbies.  You'll need all the traction you can get.  I'm a Motoz lover (Adventure, RallZ, Desert HT) or Dunlop D908RR.  I'd say you're safe with any 60/40 or better knobby (TKC-80 or gnarlier).  If you stick to pavement or the easy tracks then there's nothing wrong with other tire choices; you'll do great.

Have tubes, patches, pump and tools you need to do normal trail side repairs.  We had a guy at Mojave once just sit there at a gas station with a flat tire.  No, you're going to have someone walk you through how to change it. 

And if you come with street tires (TKC 70, Conti Adventure) or even 50/50 tires (GPS, TrailMax Mission, E07, K60, etc...) DON'T go on any moderate to advanced trails unless you're like a Quinn Cody or something.  You and your group will regret it instantly.  Air down as well (22-28 psi for the bigger bikes).

GPS.  Really good idea to step it up a level and use this as an opportunity to use GPS.  You can always follow someone... until you get lost.  I've used my GPS many times when following others who got lost.  Our first High Sierra event (a Beyond Starbucks production) I messed up the gps tracks (still learning) and got us all lost but that was part of the adventure.  Tracks are posted a few days before the event but check last year's event page and you'll find some for an idea.  I am kind of beyond tracks now and prefer exploring new areas or just doing the Mammoth to June Lake OHV area.  Your cell phone can help you but there won't be coverage everywhere.

Ear plugs.  Other loud campers, cows mooing, guys farting, etc...  They have rules for quiet hours 10-7 but there's always some jerk in an adjacent spot who wants to run their generator all night or start their bike at 5:00 am.

Chair.  Towel (real hot showers).  Hat.  Sunscreen.  Cup.  WATER PACK!  3 liter minimum and plan to drink by lunch then refill and drink again by end of ride.  Bars/food for the trail.

Bring some firewood if you're able.

Get your ass up and ready to go by roughly 8:30 as a courtesy to others.  Nothing worse than waiting all year for the even just to sit on your bike waiting 20 minutes for others.

Ride at your OWN pace.  People will wait for you.  Don't feel you need to keep up with anyone.  We want you to be safe and have fun and feel relaxed.  Stop for photos.  Stop for a drink.  Stop for a bite to eat.  It's high elevation and will be warm and dry.  Take it easy.  Don't ride in others' dust.  If the riders ahead make a turn, wait at the turn before continuing (or even wait until the last rider passes) and make sure the person behind you knows which way to go.  This happens all the time and riders get separated/lost.  Please watch your speed in camp (5 mph).  No burn outs, brake slides or riding on foot paths as a short cut.  Stay off the large hill at the south end of camp.  Watch your speed on the road into camp ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT!  Lots of very dark colored cows and they're nearly impossible to spot at night.  Guy hit a cow about 12 years ago and ended up in the hospital and had to buy the cow too. If a cow licks your head at night consider it a compliment.  Watch your step in the dark as there may be a cow pattie.

Keep speed down in residential areas (keeps dust down).  Don't trespass or go through gates that say "private property."  Most is public land up there.

Eat at least one lunch at June Lake Brewing.  They donate a keg every year and I like to give them the business.  They have a great food truck too; you won't regret it.  I may have a beer too but only one.  Tom's Place has a great breakfast (and dinner) and Mammoth Lakes has lots of options.

No dogs please.  Last year got out of hand with barking, biting and crapping.  

Heavy drinkers: this is not your event.  Given the altitude, heat, dry air and exertion it's not the place to be staying up late partying.  You'll regret it in the morning, you'll annoy your fellow riders trying to sleep and you'll make us look bad to the camp.  What makes this ride special are the people and ones who've been coming year after year hate nothing more than others being "that guy."

• Like 6

On 7/28/2021 at 7:02 PM, Jason R said:

The other 5 i left to figure out on the trail.  Kinda like Westin...

-6- Call @greedyg if you get a flat by yourself, even if he's showered and 2 beers in. On a serious note, exchange phone numbers in case of emergency. Let people know where you are, stay with your group.

-7- In this crazy high desert sand, manipulate the clutch for traction. Don't just let go and throttle! Butt off the seat and distribute that weight!

-8- Watch out for side by sides!

-9- Have lunch at Ohanas 365 and local beer at June Lake Brewing!

-10- Follow me for a good time! Yes, I enjoy picking your bike up and sucking wind at high altitude. It's not an adventure unless something breaks or you get stuck! The more you challenge yourself the more memorable memories you'll make at this event. Beautiful weather combined with beautiful scenery!

• Like 5