Meandering around the central Florida (Tampa) countryside

• Administrators

Today I did what you're suppose to do with an ADV bike... I rode it to the bank to make a deposit for the wife.  Happy wife, I took the long way home. ;)

Lake Lola.
Tigers and Gaters don't get along, so I kept my distance.
LAKE_LOLA.jpg

Nursery Hill.
243ft above seal level.  I felt a little dizzy. The highest point in all of Florida is 345ft. Glad the bike has FI.
hill.jpg

Yes, I went beyond Starbucks.

Withlacoochee State Forrest.
Withlacoochee.jpg

Wet Sand = hero traction, even on 90/10 Pirelli streetish tires. I do have new TKC80s to mount, but ride or work on the bike today? Easy choice...
wet_sand.jpg

A lot of the trails are covered by a canopy of trees. Very lush.
lush.jpg

Some of the trails we're pretty slick from last night's rain.
mud.jpg

Enother dead end trail at the Withlacoochee River.
river.jpg

river_II.jpg

river _III.jpg

TKC80s would have helped a bit, but I mananged.
pirelli_scopion_trail.jpg

An open, dry meadow along the way.
meadow.jpg

The 4X4 trucks had been in some areas, tearing the sheet out of the trail. Some sections made for interesting line choices.
4x4.jpg

A nice 3 - 4 hour ride, just seeing what there is to see, with no particular destination or schedule. The more I ride my Tiger, the more I like it. :ride:

• Like 5

This ride report caught my eye on Facebook (Dixie Dual Sport?). We have the same bike right down to the color, know the area your riding (I live in Lakeland). Standard Florida terrain for sure. I did read your bike report- spot on- Feel about the same. Bought mine with 20 miles on it at the beginning of the year. Taking some time to get use to everything (Had DR-650/ KTM 300)- Different but like it more each time I ride. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

This ride report caught my eye on Facebook (Dixie Dual Sport?). We have the same bike right down to the color, know the area your riding (I live in Lakeland). Standard Florida terrain for sure. I did read your bike report- spot on- Feel about the same. Bought mine with 20 miles on it at the beginning of the year. Taking some time to get use to everything (Had DR-650/ KTM 300)- Different but like it more each time I ride. 

Very cool. We'll have to hook up for a ride sometime. I always ride to the north (in Wesley Chapel), but happy to expand my territory. I've only been in FL for a year, so still getting to know people/places.

I'm really liking the Tiger off-road. It's surprisingly light on its feet. I had to nav around some truck mud bogs through some tight pine trees and it did well. Can't wait to get some knobbies on it. I have to be pretty gingerly in the corners off-road.

I might even ride Croom then, even though I heard that it might suck. I have to find out for myself. Can't go only on what others say.

Very cool. We'll have to hook up for a ride sometime. I always ride to the north (in Wesley Chapel), but happy to expand my territory. I've only been in FL for a year, so still getting to know people/places.

I'm really liking the Tiger off-road. It's surprisingly light on its feet. I had to nav around some truck mud bogs through some tight pine trees and it did well. Can't wait to get some knobbies on it. I have to be pretty gingerly in the corners off-road.

I might even ride Croom then, even though I heard that it might suck. I have to find out for myself. Can't go only on what others say.

Yes- We will have to get together and ride sometime. Mostly just ride south of you- Dade City and east- Take a look at the map - 98 coming out of Lakeland and 471 has a lot of the same terrain as you describe in your ride report. Living in this area over 40 years and having rode Croom over that same period year after year I would not take my Triumph through there. Miles and Miles of endless whoops, some smoother areas way back but I would not see it as much fun on an 800- My KTM 300 was much better for that type of riding. 

I've done a lot of mods to the Tiger so far but probably get a few more miles on the tires before I change out- Use the bike a lot for around town/ back and forth to work-  Yes, very gingerly in the corners!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Very nice ride and report. I bought an '09 BMW GSA a few months ago and want to take it off road. I live in Lutz, FL (north Tampa) and do most of my solitary riding on sundays, around the Brooksville area, a lot a nice paved trails in that area. Croom is for dirt bikes, sand is too soft for heavy adv bikes and trails are mostly whoops. I competed in hare scrambles and enduros around FL with FTR but I'm not getting any younger and decided to slow down a bit that's how I got my GSA.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Looks awesome, I miss the canopy cover from living back east sometimes, but then I remember humidity and change my mind.

SWL and I rode yesterday. Sandman, sorry we missed you! Next time?

We left early, so honestly, not bad at all. And, it really was a pretty hot, sticky day. I only noticed when we stopped. But, before living in FL, I lived in Vegas for a few years, so I guess I'm just used to the heat. Fortunately our winters are like So Cal in Spring, low humidity and very mild. 👍

Nice, relaxing day of scenic backroads and a number of sections of squirrely, deep sand to keep things interesting. SWL managed to tag a squirrel at speed. I was right behind him, so I got to see the carnage. Tiger 1, squirrel 0.

Green Swamp Wilderness Preserve

green_swamp.jpg

Richloam Fire Tower Video

tower.jpg

Richloam Fish Hatchery Entrance

hatchery.jpg

Withlacoochee River Park

withlacoochee.jpg

• Like 2

Peta..(Good one Eric)...oh the carnage!!...I'm calling Fox News,they will get to bottom of this.

It was only 90 here yesterday and I was cooking on the bike,I can't imagine adding some Florida humidity to that...do you ride with mesh gear?...That river needs a flyrod and tagging some bass....love it

• Like 1

• Administrators

I ride in Klim Vented gear. Helps for sure... I really don't feel the heat too much when moving. The joy of riding eclipses any discomfort and I simply expect to be hot. You do get used to it to some degree, but attitude plays a role.  But, you never get used to the heat pouring off your engine, sitting at a stoplight on blazing hot tarmac. But, I avoid the city when possible. It's far better than riding when it's cold IMHO.

I'm close by - in Lutz. KLR650 - been riding solo around Richloam, found that firetower and a bit of wildlife along those trails. Used to have Dunlop 606s but recently swapped back to the stock tires because I've been street riding with friends who ride Ducatis and Ninjas - mostly Dade city, Brooksville area. Anyway I googled dualsport adv Tampa lutz and found this thread. I'll keep an eye on it in case you guys are heading out and don't mind an old fart tagging along. Would like to get off pavement soon...

• Administrators

I'm close by - in Lutz. KLR650 - been riding solo around Richloam, found that firetower and a bit of wildlife along those trails. Used to have Dunlop 606s but recently swapped back to the stock tires because I've been street riding with friends who ride Ducatis and Ninjas - mostly Dade city, Brooksville area. Anyway I googled dualsport adv Tampa lutz and found this thread. I'll keep an eye on it in case you guys are heading out and don't mind an old fart tagging along. Would like to get off pavement soon...

You sound Evil trident.gif, but I'll ride with ya!  I'm over on the E. side of Wesley Chapel, so not terribly far away. Added you to my buds list. I'll ping you next time I have a family hall pass.

• Like 1

I'll ride with you too; I'll be able to brag about riding with evil (--sorry, --sick humor!)

I'm in Lutz also (east of Dale Mabry) off US41 and Florida Ave; I solo ride those same areas on Sunday mornings before it gets really hot.

Brian, probably we can coordinate a ride soon, I also would like to get off road, right now I have street tires on the bike, but my TKC80's should arrive by mid next week . Evil, Welcome to this awesome forum!

• Like 2