High Sierra 2023

• Administrators

DJI_0255_HDR_edit.JPG.d01214c7d7653726d6588c8a32f06fee.JPG.08d2646bf8395f89bb8ced9a96b1c66c.JPG
Registration link: click here
Here we go!  12th annual High Sierra!
Event description: Three dinners this year! Salsa’s Taqueria. Professional photography by Stephen Gregory.

I will lead a beginner group ride the first morning for those who are new so that should make it less daunting for you.

Sponsors:
GIVI USA
Rigg Gear
Dunlop USA
Klim Motorcycle
DoubleTake Mirrors
Cardo Systems

Attendees
[mention=689]greedyg[/mention]
[mention=261]Jason R[/mention]
Leo Esparza
Olivier Cornet
Kenneth Kornbluh
[mention=5129]Barry W[/mention]
[mention=2299]Dennis Hagerty[/mention]
Roman Krajewski
Maxime Masraff
Gary Graham
Donald Funes

Brent Needham
Kiho Kim
Richard Lee
Sal
Sal’s son
Jairo Monterroza
Warren Wright
Brian Schieber
Maria Odense
[mention=512]motochefarwi[/mention]
Pascal Vaguelsy
[mention=4278]Stephen Gregory[/mention]
Paul Costello
Chris Owens
Taurino Tadeo

528001a6b53fbd9f6f708ba8d7571c8e.jpg

• Like 2

Here's my observation.  Event costs went up and the amount of amenities provided for that cost when down (catering, shirts, mugs, kegs etc.) Makes it harder to justify for a lot of folks, especially considering the addition of fuel costs to and from.

For myself and several other gents that have been faithful attendees but missed last year, coincidentally, we all had scheduling conflicts.

I love riding in the area and meeting up with guys I only get to see once or twice a year.

The raffle for Motorrad Angels is wicked cool.

What about an event refresh to add the "team / waypoint" friendly competition style?

Edited by greedyg
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Thanks for the feedback.

Event costs have both declined (since we stopped having catered meals) and risen (from last year).

2021 was $128 and that was a huge decrease from the year before.

2022 was $160 but Owens River CG jacked up camping fees and then we added a silipint and added cost for water/beer since June Lake Brewing isn’t donating kegs anymore. They do only cans now and gave us canned beer in 2021 because they felt bad. Last year that had to be added as a cost. I also ended up short in 2020 when I set the ticket price before I knew the food cost went up.

I understand the value perception year to year and catered vs no food. But if you look at other corporate events like ADV Fest at $499 then I think High Sierra is still a bargain.

I like the idea of a waypoint competition and if that’s something you’d like to take the lead on then feel free too. I typically have little spare time at the event to track that kind of thing in real time. I have a bit of concern like with the ADV Rally in Julian of people getting in over their heads so maybe we limit it to the easier trails and points of interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Administrators

ADV Rally is fun and doesn't cost as much as it used to (not sure how much now?) but they also have like 18 corporate sponsors and a huge marketing budget.  Vendors are paying big prices/rider to be there.

I forgot also that I used HD's sponsorship to buy down the ticket price for High Sierra the past two years.

• 3 months later...

I, along , with a few hundred other riders, just spent $499 to camp out in the Mojave and get ride tracks.  This also included pretty good food, but we had to buy our beer.  Somehow I think High Sierra camping would be MUCH better and less sand riding.  Go for it!  I've heard great things about your rally, I've been searching for it for the last few months.

I say bring in food trucks or stands for people who want to buy food, with plenty of beer and a bar.  I'll bring at least a few, and maybe many, riders if it happens this year!

Warren

2021 Pan Am

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Thanks Warren for the ideas.

There are mainly two factors driving difficulty getting food there. One is that it’s not that close to nearby cities. Mammoth is about 20 minutes; Bishop 45. Another issue is the weekend, Labor Day. It’s a huge tourist destination and they get booked up more than a year in advance.

That being said, I’m tracking down one more food option and am close to having a registration link.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Really good news today.

I got us food!!! Really good food too. Street tacos! Affordable and close (Mammoth vs Bishop). 20 minutes vs 45. Super hard to nail this one down. Labor Day weekend is huge up there and everyone has like 2 weddings and a baby shower booked a year in advance.

We were going to have Cudby shoot photos again but he’s booked. I have another photog I’m talking to now so want to finalize that before I set the price and start registrations. Not losing money again this time

Thanks for your patience. Should have a link up early next week.

• Like 1

• Administrators
6 hours ago, motochefarwi said:

Just tried the link. Did not work. Sigh emoji23.png
Great ya got food lined up!
Let’s go!!!

I noticed that last night and just fixed it.  It was simply because the event was still in draft mode.  But it's published and working now.  thanks for the heads up

• Like 1