IDBDR July/Aug 2015

• Administrators

Okay; got the GPS track downloads and maps. I will attempt to post them here, attempt being the key word.  

We don't really need to post them here as they are a free download from the IDBDR page Butler Maps set up.  I think I included that link in the first post.  Or were you talking about the OBDR tracks?  If so, because those are paid-for tracks ($15 or something), we should probably not post them.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Just a status check on everyone...  Post up if you can with any questions on prep, etc...

I'm about to order maps and stickers for all of us.

Looks like Nate, Rodney and Mats are definitely in.  I need to follow up w/Franco and Eric.  John C just had aneurism surgery, so not sure if he's on the list yet or not.

• Like 1

Im planning on camping the entire trip......we'll see how this works out  :) I'm going to pretty much copy your packing checklist. Funny with a few small additions i need almost as much for a weekend as i do for a week on the bike.

Any more thoughts on the return Trip? 

I'm going to bow out of the Troy Meadows/Fish camp ride to help finish the Lost For a Reason project in Kayenta.

I'm going to put fresh TKC's on the day before i leave but i will have 1300 miles on them by the time i reach Jarbidge, not the best but it will have to do.

I'm probably going to make camping reservations unless you don't think it will be necessary.

• Like 1

My plan is the same Rodney - camping the entire route Minus the reservations. I figure we can just camp wherever. Part of the 'Adventure'! How do you all plan to get to Jarbidge? I have family that lives near Elko NV, so I'll probably come up 225 from there and then hit the dirt toward Charlston. Should be a good primer for the trip.

Thanks for the butler maps and stickers Eric! Cashola on it's way! 

Return trip? As I'm heading back to Utah mine will probably differ a bit. My other half is planning to ride up to the border to meet us at the end of our last day and ride back with me via the scenic paved routes through Idaho - We're planning about a 4 day return trip to Utah. I told her I'd be uber stinky, but she didn't seem to mind! haha!

• Administrators

I was just planning my trip Sunday as we finish up our Troy Meadow ride and leave from there.  Not sure where in NV I will end up Sun night but camp somewhere probably.  Then Monday morning head up to Jarbidge and we'll meet up there.

As for the way home, maybe Rodney and Mats and I can come down through WA and OR on the BDR routes?

I'm fine to camp but we need to learn to do it right.  Camping means finishing early enough to get supplies and set up camp before it gets too late.  We'll also get caught a few times by afternoon showers too I bet, which makes camp set up sucky.  I'm sure we'll opt for a hotel or two just to take a break.

Keep in mind camping in bear country and don't bring anything scented or edible unless we find campground w/bear boxes (most of them have them).

• Administrators

I'm looking at the paper map and see tons of camping spots, so I don't think it will be much of an issue for us.  I'm for spots with bear boxes though.

I also notice at one point we ride some highway into Montana and then come back into ID.

Lots of alternate sections too; some labeled "expert only," which I deem to mean small bike or you really know what you're doing.  I tended to avoid those on the AZBDR just because we had riders who weren't up to it and we were weighted down pretty good and were trying to cut a day out of the trip and had some optimistic mileage goals.

I recall this one guy who did AZBDR with us skipped a sandy section not because he couldn't ride sand but because he didn't want to spend all his effort lifting other people's bikes!  :)

I'll agree with you on the bear box campgrounds. As an alternative, if its necessary, there are other methods though :) I grew up around bears in the mountains of Colorado (fed a wild one next to my house a carrot once which was stupid), so they probably don't concern me as much as they should! lol.

Pavement? Phhht! Lets ride the shoulder of the highway just to be different...

As far as the 'expert' sections I figure we can just take those as they come. From my understanding they all have bypasses as you say. Of course, one never really knows, unless they've done the trail before, what makes the section expert. It could be a rather benign trail with a really nasty section that makes it expert as I am very well aware! I guess that's why they call it an adventure - lol. I don't want to make things harder than they have to be, and do want to enjoy the trip without a lot of extra pain, but some technical stuff would be fun.

As far as being in a rush - I hope we're not in a rush. I have 6 days of wag on the tail end of the trip that I now plan to shoot up into Canada with, and I'd like to not necessarily take our time, but not be in a race either. I'd like to enjoy the trail, the riding, the people, the views, and the culture as well.

• Administrators

Yeah no one here is in any hurry to do it in any less than the planned 8 days.  I think there's wisdom to finishing a day early to have time to set up camp, clean up, get food and enjoy your surroundings.

Rodney and I (not sure about Mats yet) were thinking of a quick jog over to the top of WA to start the WABDR south on our way back, maybe even do ORBDR too.

Actually, Mats did WABDR two years ago after we did COBDR together so I doubt he'd want to do it again.  His comments were that it wasn't as scenic and challenging as CO, but that's cool with me.  Anything new is good for me and it will give us a chance maybe to join up with other WA area riders.

• Like 1

Picked up a 20S and a prizm online yesterday along with a few memory cards/batteries. Those combined with an ancient Gen1 Gopro and a still camera and I should be able to get some nice video/pics. What are others planning on having along for video/pictoral documentation? I hope to be able to edit up a nice video post trip! Unless someone else is already planning to do so, I'd propose that I collect memory cards at the end of the BDR so I have tons of stock, and return the cards with content intact via mail later. Thoughts?

• Administrators

You do great videos!  I will bring my Prism as well as my GoPro.  My phone takes decent photos and video as well.

I have a small external drive I can bring and hopefully we can make use of that for sharing video but my two main devices have micro sd cards I can let you copy.  Want to bring your own external drive to do that?  I hate giving you my sd cards and waiting to get them back.  I'll be anxious to see my own video too when I get back.

I can also give you my other Sena SMH10 for your helmet if you like.  Being able to talk to each other on the bike is priceless.

I picked up a pair of Sena 20S for my and my other half's helmets, so I'm good with the comms. Our other brand helmet comms were getting fritzy, so I had a good excuse. Thanks again for the offer though!

Totally understand not wanting to part with your SD cards. I have a good external HD I can bring, but I really don't want to, or really have room to, bring my laptop. You know of any ways to copy an SD without an intermediate laptop? I've done some googling of the subject, but really haven't found anything viable.